Author Topic: submersiable light  (Read 1485 times)

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
submersiable light
« on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:08 PM »
just bought a submersiable light was wondering if i need to add weight to it so it will sink

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: submersiable light
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Depends on brand. Just bought a rapala submersible light that took an ounce of weight to sink.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:28 PM »
I got one but dont remember the brand but it sinks with no weight added, its like a long single bulb

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:15 PM »
I have the strike king one and I use the bigger depth sounder on it.
Gator Nation

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2014, 09:38 AM »
if they are submersible, they should sink the way they come. some mite need to fill with water before they sink though. the wallyworld halogens are like that.

lets see some pics of your lights lighting up the ice guys! i had the big one out the other night. it had a 20ft circle of the ice lit up. it was set about 4ft down.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:12 PM »
I was wrong. I have a berkley not a rapala. Says right on package that it needs weight to sink. Of course not included.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Optronics takes 25 oz to sink it as per the package ...have it on a old wooden cross beam tipup zip tie wire leader and a snap ...fits in my rod bag ...been depoying it last couple outings with overall success .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Here is my light in action.  Prob under 12" of ice or so.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Here is my light in action.  Prob under 12" of ice or so.
(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice tater!!!  where did you get the LED strips?

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Wow that's slot of light! You trying to attract them or give them a suntan?

Offline trialbyfire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2014, 06:00 PM »
He's caching the fish with that! I can testify ;D

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Tater, nice work on the led lights....how long can you run that light off of your little battery? 

HHD

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:43 PM »
My lights so bright The fillets still glow when i get em out of the freezer in the summer.   From the pictures it is kind of hard to tell how much or little ligt it puts off.  I think it puts off more then The original led light i paid 100$ for.  I bought the leds on ebay and just zip tied them to a piece of old broom handle and wired them to a length of thin wire.  I made 3 of them for about 20$ or so.  I have a white, green, and green/white one.  I typically setup in 3 different spots, then we can fish whichever one seems to produce the best.  I have not ran down a battery yet, so i really dont know how long.  I have prob fished as long as 5 hrs or so after dark and have never ran out of battery.  I suspect they would go all night, but have never tried.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2014, 01:43 AM »
Ive been wanting to ask how it was holdiing up for you. I seen your post before. Does the broom stick cause it to float?  I mean what kinda of weight do you use to sink it?
Gator Nation

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2014, 08:48 AM »
They seem to hold up well so far.  One of them floats on me the other sinks, so i'm not sure why.  At first I made a tube to slide them into, but it's hard to waterproof it and then it's twice as hard to sink it.  One of these days when I find the time I think i'm just going to screw a couple of bigger lag screws into the bottom of the broom handle to sink them a bit better.  I don't think it will take much weight to hold them down better.  I didn''t want too much weight so I didn't have to worry as much about them coming undone off of the battery and heading for the bottom of the lake. My buddy borrowed my good light last year had that happen but that's another long story. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:13 PM »
Tater, can you provide some more info on these? 

Were the led's you got on Ebay rated waterproof or did you modify them to water proof them?  How did you seal the wiring that goes into the water and how long of a wire did you use between the battery and and LED bundle?

Offline vermillion1405

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:22 PM »
When I saw these pictures I thought of Homer Simpson and his tomacco farm.  :o

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:17 AM »
Tater, can you provide some more info on these? 

Were the led's you got on Ebay rated waterproof or did you modify them to water proof them?  How did you seal the wiring that goes into the water and how long of a wire did you use between the battery and and LED bundle?
wax worm, I have seen them on ebay. I was going to get some too. they are the same lights that are being used on the shelters just inclosed in a plastic caseing. A SLA battery like a vex runs should last you a whole night easy.
Gator Nation

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:11 AM »
yes battery draw is very minimal on LEDs. thats what makes them better than other lights. not that they catch fish better, but they are more user friendly. shouldnt need case for them rite? just seal the wire connections up good.

OANN the real story

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Underwater lights have come a long way to where they are today.
Fish on!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:27 AM »
you can say that again, man! everything about them is better than the halogens we used for the last 30yrs. lol

OANN the real story

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Yes the led lights are encased in Some rubber/ plastic.  If you search ebay for waterproof led light you should find them.  You may have to look several pages deep.  They come in several lengths and colors. Im guessing people use then under cars etc... For the cool look.  I just wired all of them together, and used several layers of heat shrink, and then wrapped the connection all in electrical tape. The wire i used is the wire you get with garage door sensor wires, you know the extra rolls you have when you change out your opener and you throw them on the shelf for the "Someday Project". Its fairly small gauge.  They dont draw much current at all. The wire is probably 8' long or so. I have also installed some of those lights inside my shanty and even my boat. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.