Author Topic: Willow Slough 2/24/2014  (Read 5408 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Willow Slough 2/24/2014
« on: Feb 24, 2014, 03:06 PM »
Can anyone tell me if all the slush has tightened up yet. Is there much snow left? How is the road to Mormon Hill? I would like to get out Friday. This will give it another three days to get right.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Willow Slough 2/24/2014
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2014, 03:24 PM »
AL, lets go get some perch instead. and maybe a couple eyes
Got one goin'!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2014, 03:52 PM »
We were out Sat and all the snow is gone and or froze. Nice walking and pulling a shack. Wear your creepers for sure. Bite was tougher for us that day. We went in back first for a couple hours then headed up front. Road was fine going to the back just a little slick in spots. Good luck on where ever you go !!!!
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:44 PM »
ranger 619 how did you and PB do Saturday, I ended up with 18. Slower on Sunday with only 13 making it to the bucket.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Can't help ya Al, every year I say I'm gona try it again. Ain't made it yet, been there one time with my brother bout 10-15 yrs ago. We had no idea where to go I think we fished to the right of Headquarters parking lot. Trying to talk him into going again. From the map link below it looks like there's only 3 ways to access and places to park, headquarters, Filbert, and Morman hill. If thats right looks like long walks to hit allot of places

On the map below at the bottom it says Deep Hole, I think that was about where we was at. Looks like thats the shortest walk for deeper water maybe 1/4 mile, is that about right.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw_WillowSlough_map.pdf

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Like walking on new ice!!! Bring your cleats.........  ;)
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Just got home from there. The walk is nice with no snow, no slush. Hand drilling was not that bad either were I was. No inch of ice then slush then ice again.
Like mentioned before wear your spikes.
Done good on a brown and green jig I made with 2 spikes, one red one white. Good luck

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:43 PM »
From Saturday

My buddy Jim

Look at em all...

brought home about 6 like this and 3 or 4 a tad smaller

My gill of the day

Really dont know why I dont fish there more truly a great fishery and beautiful place to be......

Offline NWIangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Nice lookin catch Felix. I may have to go give the slough another try this week. Glad to hear the snow is down. Been a rough season thus far.

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Hey I think that's me, in the blue shanty.  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Didn't get any reply on my post. So I searched "slough morman" and "slough headquarters" got pages and pages of hits. Opened up about 25-30 threads and looked thru them all, took about 2 hrs, found some good input.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Hey I think that's me, in the blue shanty.  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

thats like when a guy telling his buddy to meet him on the big ice, i have the camo suit on with the blue/black shanty and four wheeler over here by the 30 other shanties. lol. i get a kick out of it every time
Got one goin'!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Didn't get any reply on my post. So I searched "slough morman" and "slough headquarters" got pages and pages of hits. Opened up about 25-30 threads and looked thru them all, took about 2 hrs, found some good input.

what exactly where u asking??! from my understanding u had given what knowledge u had and posted a link to the dnr website
Got one goin'!

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Let me report as a non truck driving individual, the road to Mormon Hill was bad going in yesterday afternoon and downright seriously dangerous coming out.  At least 3 times the mud road diverted completely around water and you had to give it the gas to BANK your way out of one curve.  People need to know these conditions as IMHO they are as critical as ice conditions and the bite when you drive to Mormon hill.

And I have to mention the people taking care of the road do a super job, but perhaps an impossible one. 

cc
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Let me report as a non truck driving individual, the road to Mormon Hill was bad going in yesterday afternoon and downright seriously dangerous coming out.  At least 3 times the mud road diverted completely around water and you had to give it the gas to BANK your way out of one curve.  People need to know these conditions as IMHO they are as critical as ice conditions and the bite when you drive to Mormon hill.

And I have to mention the people taking care of the road do a super job, but perhaps an impossible one. 

cc

instead of taking a chance at blocking the road getting stuck (not in a truck). how about post a thread saying u want to go but ur conditions limit you and would like to meet up with guys and ride along, chip in on gas, or buy the bait, or buy the beer in return. that would serve far better than gettin a car stuck down that road, that could create bigger problems in the bigger picture.
Got one goin'!

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:33 PM »
instead of taking a chance at blocking the road getting stuck (not in a truck). how about post a thread saying u want to go but ur conditions limit you and would like to meet up with guys and ride along, chip in on gas, or buy the bait, or buy the beer in return. that would serve far better than gettin a car stuck down that road, that could create bigger problems in the bigger picture.

I think thats what hes doing. Trying to help people from getting stuck.  Thats his let me report part.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:55 PM »
ranger 619 how did you and PB do Saturday, I ended up with 18. Slower on Sunday with only 13 making it to the bucket.

Billy-
 I ended up with 10 gills over 9+" and tossed anything smaller back. I believe Glenn left with 15+ fish. Plans are for Thursday morning, talk with ya Wednesday night.

Poorboy

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2014, 02:54 AM »
what exactly where u asking??! from my understanding u had given what knowledge u had and posted a link to the dnr website

More or less ask 2-3 questions, I'll try to translate them. Guess I really didn't want to come right out and ask, was hopeing someone would add to what I said. Sometimes when you ask presice questions you don't get any input, especially since I been there only once.

From the map link below it looks like there's only 3 ways to access and places to park, headquarters, Filbert, and Morman hill. If thats right looks like long walks to hit allot of places

On this one I was asking if those 3 places was the only places to park and is it a long walk to most good fishing places. On ice(no snow) I can walk about 50-60 yds then have to rest, 200-250 yds is about tops for me. If not taking shanty maybe farther.

On the map below at the bottom it says Deep Hole, I think that was about where we was at. Looks like thats the shortest walk for deeper water maybe 1/4 mile, is that about right.

I was asking if the spot marked on the map Deep Hole(click link), was about 1/4 mile from parking area. I did say "is that about right.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Ok I will bite. There are three places to park when fishing. the deep hole I think is 8-10 feet deep. I don't think it is marked very good on the map. You might be able to park by where you would park if hunting the Marsh area (not sure they might have a cable across road). You can catch fish within 5o yards of walking anywhere on the ice. Good luck.

Offline vermillion1405

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:53 AM »
Fished Mormon and HQ last weekend, if you go to Mormon hill I recommend 4WD and when we get a warm up it's going to get even worse. The better bite was at HQ.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:00 AM »
More or less ask 2-3 questions, I'll try to translate them. Guess I really didn't want to come right out and ask, was hopeing someone would add to what I said. Sometimes when you ask presice questions you don't get any input, especially since I been there only once.

From the map link below it looks like there's only 3 ways to access and places to park, headquarters, Filbert, and Morman hill. If thats right looks like long walks to hit allot of places

On this one I was asking if those 3 places was the only places to park and is it a long walk to most good fishing places. On ice(no snow) I can walk about 50-60 yds then have to rest, 200-250 yds is about tops for me. If not taking shanty maybe farther.

I was asking if the spot marked on the map Deep Hole(click link), was about 1/4 mile from parking area. I did say "is that about right.

yes, there are three parking lots you may park in. you may also slide a few trucks in by the dike at the north marsh boat launch, its not really a parking 'lot' just able to park a dozen trucks in there. as far as deep water. you are going to find that in the channels or up front by the dam. thats it, nothing else. its all 3-5 fow. find structure i.e. weeds, trees. twice this year i have made the walk from headquarters up front to the boat launch back in the marsh.
Got one goin'!

Offline goathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:08 AM »
how thick is the ice now??

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:41 AM »
The deepest water is located east of headquarters. There used to be a blind off the point and the hole is just N.E. of there 8-10 fow, last I checked.

Offline Dahouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Did Okay on 2/22/14 at Mormon Hill, Been getting some Warmouths though and I don't like them. ( Not very Big). Only got 18 Gills between the two of us anywhere between 7.5 and 9" , none over 9. Fished from 9:00 - 2:30. Most of the guys out during that time period said it was slow and lite bite as many holes were being drilled and lots of Movement. Road down there to Mormon was below Average at best. Need a cold blast to tighten up the road or they need to send a grater down the road and straighten it out a bit. Did see a Bald eagle looking for lunch though.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2014, 01:53 PM »
how thick is the ice now??
Manny I drilled one spot that I know was over 18"...............

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:39 PM »

You're right.  After ten years of thinking I was contributing on this site I finally get your perspective.  I'm done.  Stay safe out there everyone.

cc
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Charlie dont let them run you off, us older guys understood your post.
Tom

Offline GO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Charlie,
Thank you for your input. I thought a site like this is intended for exactly the type of info you gave.
Opinions from others come and go around here at other times it's a I am better than you board and sometimes it is a great tool for learning more about the sport we all obviously are committed to.
GO
I'd rather be hole hopping.

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Charlie dont let them run you off, us older guys understood your post.

My sentiments exactly Charlie!!!

Dog.....
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2014, 08:18 AM »
To bad this site doesn't have a ''Blocked User'' option, if someone gets under your skin you can put them on the ''Blocked User'' list and you will no longer see any of their posts. Stay with it Charlie.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.