Author Topic: bad perch fishing  (Read 3384 times)

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
bad perch fishing
« on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:20 PM »
went to try for perch today   but the trout where around     in three hours i saw trout twenty different times    thanks dnr for rewening this lake with these fish     

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: bad perch fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Huh?  ???

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:34 PM »
What lake are the DNR stocking Trout?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline LunkerLander024

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Where is this, they're finicky sometimes but I'd try for those trout through the ice.
Fish are on the bottom, maybe the top.....or somewhere in between.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:51 PM »
What lake are the DNR stocking Trout?

I know they put them in Oliver, Olin and Martin lakes, but not sure of any others and not sure how many they put in each one.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:57 PM »
Have you Wax or any one ever tried to ice fish for them?   Are they Rainbows?

In our area the only lake I know they used to stock trout is at the Lake county fair grounds lake.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:16 PM »

In our area the only lake I know they used to stock trout is at the Lake county fair grounds lake.

I have not tried thru the ice, but have fished for them in spring a couple times with Abomb....and yes they are rainbows, but there are some browns in there too.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:23 PM »
ive been told through the ice season they r most active then.
Got one goin'!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Trout ruin perch fishing? Tell that to guys that fish lakes in Maine where the perch are ruining the trout fishing.

How would trout ruin perch fishing? Do you know how prolific perch are?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:38 PM »
They stock rainbows in clear lake also but dont know how that would ruin perch fishing, i would love to get on a trout spot n wack em

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2014, 03:31 PM »
yes they are rainbows     and it is clear lake      i have fished that lake for over thirty years   i grew up there dad and i would get perch twelve inches and bigger all the time  since they stocked it the fishing not bad but it went down hill  they will eat the hatch and chase them out  in deep water      i have got few of them  before very aggressive

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2014, 03:45 PM »
yes they are rainbows     and it is clear lake      i have fished that lake for over thirty years   i grew up there dad and i would get perch twelve inches and bigger all the time  since they stocked it the fishing not bad but it went down hill  they will eat the hatch and chase them out  in deep water      i have got few of them  before very aggressive

So go fish in deeper water.... ::)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2014, 04:33 PM »

Hidden Lake, east of Broadway south of 61st Ave.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2014, 11:30 AM »

If it makes you happy trout fishing in on the decline in Clear Lake. Nothing like it was 20 years ago. 

What about all the all even more predacious species in Clear? Walleye, Northern Pike, Smallmouth bass, and Largemouth Bass? And there's plenty of forage species in the lake with shad present.

Did you know a yellow perch strand averages 25,000 eggs with more with larger fish? You can't eliminate yellow perch with trout but if there aren't enough predators the size goes down significantly.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2014, 12:36 PM »

Those trout will tattoo a shrimpo in the shallows. ;D
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:54 PM »
there are some serious big fish in that lake.   its when i am fishing perch i see alot more trout than other preditors.  i have caught some very big perch in that lake when i was young now its hard to get a twelve inch perch out of there .

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:30 PM »

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Brown trout is pretty common. I think the state has some info on the DNR website.

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:08 PM »

Three Rivers has trout

Offline LunkerLander024

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:46 AM »
I just caught one the other day crappie fishin on Round. Right off the channel using a minnow, big fat Bow.
Fish are on the bottom, maybe the top.....or somewhere in between.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Brown trout is pretty common. I think the state has some info on the DNR website.

Brown trout are not common in the inland lakes except perhaps Oliver. The state hasn't planted brown trout since the 80's except in Lake Michigan that comes from a federal source. Clear lake is no longer planted with brown trout even by NEITA due to a lack of funds and interest.  I did mount a 10 lb. brown out of Clear that was caught on back in 2008 on the presidential election day November 4th. 

All brown trout planted since the 80's in the inland lakes have been planted by the Northeastern Indiana Trout Association. That may come to an end too as the association may disband due to a lack of interest and donations. Lots of people wanted the brown trout in a few of the lakes but no one wants to pay for them.

Offline btoenges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Actually, Indiana DNR is very confused on rainbow trout stockings in Clear Lake and Lake Gage.  The stockings the last few years have not produced the number of fish as in the past and the DNR doesn't know why.  The same fish stocked at Oliver have been very successful.  Browns were only stocked in Clear for two years in the mid 2000s.

Perch may be down due to weed growth.  One thing the DNR has noted is that weed growth has been down the last 2-3 years in N.E. Indiana.  They don't know why either.  Oliver Lake has never had much weed cover but it has decreased dramatically the last 2 years.  When I called to talk about it with the biologist they said Oliver wasn't the only location.

I am a big trout guy but I would rather catch a mess of jumbo perch any day.  I thought there was a "hole" about 20fow somewhere around the island at Clear that was a perch hot spot?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2014, 02:02 PM »
My theory on the reduction of macrophytes "weeds"  in Oliver is due to the halt of septic tank seepage due to the sewage system that has been installed. Of course I could be wrong. Not sure about the other lakes but I wouldn't be surprised if there are lake residents applying herbicides without going through the proper channels (no pun intended) or somethings changed in the watersheds?

The above is good for reducing eutrophication of the lakes but can also reduce the fertility of the water and fish biomass and cover.

Sylvan Lake had some of the fastest growing bluegills in the nation back when it was receiving raw sewage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.