New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fresh water shrimp  (Read 2464 times)

Offline jockofish

• IceShanty Rookie
fresh water shrimp
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 04:56 PM »
   has anyone used freshwater shrimp or butterworms to spice up thier offerings ? i've noticed them for sale in one of the bait shop sites and wondered if they were used here in ny. if so, how are they hooked?
She says " you've got to be nuts to go icefishing", my only reply is, " it helps".

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fresh water shrimp
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:38 PM »
PM--Troutperchbeeman       I think it might be illegal to sell them in NY.
He would know.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:51 PM »
The freshwater shrimp that I've seen here in MN are microscopic.  A couple of lakes have 'em, and when ya pull up craps from the bottom they're usually just stuffed w/ em.  They have 'em all over their gills and lips like a 2 year old eating spagetti.  I didn't realize they got big enough to use as bait!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline troutperchbeeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:58 PM »
It is only illegal if they are collected in a steam that is designated a "trout stream". If you collect them or buy them from anywhere else it's OK. That is how I interpet the fishing hand book.
Beeman

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:12 PM »
It is only illegal if they are collected in a steam that is designated a "trout stream". If you collect them or buy them from anywhere else it's OK. That is how I interpet the fishing hand book.
Beeman
YOU'RE ALIVE :woot:

FrankM

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I used to buy "Michigan Wigglers" at Bob's Bait on Conesus Lake years ago and I think they were freshwater shrimp.  They used to be really good bait when Conesus was a good perch lake.  The last time I fished Oneida about 5 years ago and caught a mess of big perch their mouths were filled with freshwater shrimp.  I was wishing I had some wigglers with me that day.  I don't know of anyplace locally that sells them now.

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2005, 03:38 PM »
"Michigan Wigglers" are mayfly larvae(Hexagenia limbata) and freshwater shrimp or scuds(amphipod) are two different critters.Wiggler are a great perch bait but,no bait shops around Rochester that I know of carry them. I have fished with large live scuds,I have collected with good results.You have too fish them on a small dia. wire hook (14-16) and it becomes a pain. Not worth the time IMO. Now if you could get some wigglers that's a whole different story. ;D

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:20 PM »
Beeman
     I believe the book says "...aquatic insects in any of their life stages from waters designated Trout waters.", and the freshwater shrimp are'nt insects. They sell 'em in jars and freeze dry packs at K-Mart, Walmart, and other places but the only places you might get them alive is at an aquarium supply. Good luck in any case, they are good bait or fish wouldn't eat 'em. Check with Cornell and the DEC Fisheries folk.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:29 PM »
I've bought from WalMart in the past,(in bags) they did work very well on the perch..
But you have to use a smaller hook :o

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2005, 09:52 PM »
Last year I got fresh water shrimp from Vados Bait Express in MN.
Around 40 bucks for a pint--2 days shipping. When they arrived,there were very few alive. Called Vados and as good business people they sent me anouther batch. Results were the same. They could not handle the 2 day travel.  NOW-- if you want them shipped overnight that runs about 70+ bucks. Yeah , kinda high, shipping expense. BUT you will have less mortality rate. I have seen a guy on Silver Lake use them to much success, (He had them overnighted) last year.
   Pet shops I was at, had Ghost shrimp. 25 cents a pop. But Ithink they are a aquiarum species. (warm water)
   Last year Gander Mtn> in Ton> NY had Michigan wigglers, priced by the dozen.   Price not sure.
aka FishingPolski

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2005, 10:12 PM »
Look at your local fly shops.  You can get good fly imitations.  I have used them for gills and they work great. 

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:23 PM »
Was at Gander Mountain-Colvin Blvd. this afternoon..They had fresh water shrimp-just came in this morning. No price was on the wall in the bait shop there for them. Asked a worker there what they were going for (think he was from anouter Dept>).  All I could get from him was  "probably" $2.00 a dozen.  ??? ::)

aka FishingPolski

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pull it out and measure it.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:33 PM »
Like the seafood menu...."Market price"!  :D  $2.00 a dozen???
Life is just a bunch of BS between deer seasons.
Mama doesn't know the toys we keep...

Offline fisherman5s

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:44 AM »
Last year was my first time using a scud (fresh water shrimp) fly for ice fishing. They worked great for perch and blue gills. I think they were size 10. I fished them with a weight on the bottom and 2 scuds tied about 8 inches apart or one tied above my jig. During late ice they were the only consistant set up.

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:00 AM »
I hear ya there Big Buck Hunter: Kinda rich for my blood. Wonder what they would charge for a can of tuna fish. Sounds like the price of Poker just went up.  ;) ;)
aka FishingPolski

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.