Author Topic: What kind of line for lake trout?  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Misk99

• IceShanty Rookie
What kind of line for lake trout?
« on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Looking for some advice on what line to use for a lake trout trip. I would use 30lb braid but I find it ices up really bad. I don't want to use a 15 or 20lb mono or flourocarbon because it is stiff and coily. I am leaning towards a 12lb fluorocarbon but I will still loose the feel you get with braid in the deeper depths. Any good braids that won't ice up? Expirience with heavier flourocarbon? How does braid and flourocarbon handle running on the ice? Thanks

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What kind of line for lake trout?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2014, 03:07 PM »
I use 15-20lb fireline braid, if it ices up just clean the ice off with my fingers. Tie 2-4ft of Trilene flourocarbon leader material, 25lb test. It is stiff line but when using 1oz jigs its not too bad. Lake trout is the one fish I would recommend leaning towards the heavier side of line, once they are above around 10lbs they are extremely powerful and take out a LOT of line at a time.

Offline wally wacker49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:23 PM »
willing to add my to bits worth after fishing both mono and braid in deep water I will always lean to ward braid. They make an ice braid and that is what I use on my deep water reels. I use 30 lb braid to a swivel and then 15 pound fluorocarbon to a snap or tied direct to a jig. much lighter and you'll have bigger lakers cut your line. If you know that the majority of your fish will be in the 5 to ten pound range then you could use lighter line.

Offline Misk99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:23 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll probably go with a 30lb ice braid and a 20lb flourocarbon litre. That is my setup for summer lake trout in 100+ ft. I tied my braid to the fluorocarbon with a simple loop knot I found online. Any expirience with knots? Are they weaker than using a swivel? Just wondering because a swivel rated for 30lbs is a pretty good sized swivel

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2014, 12:42 PM »
to join lines i like to us a uniknot, but in the winter for jigging i always just use a swivel.  can't stand any amount of line twist.

my winter laker setup is 25lb spiderwire invisibraid - swivel - 15lb fluoro leader material.  braids also stretch the least which is key setting the hook into hard mouths in deep water.

Offline yank0073

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2014, 02:33 PM »
What about trying Berkeley nanofil. I understand it's no stretch like a braid with a coating that won't ice up. A buddy uses it on his rods for ice fishing and really likes it. He says ice doesn't stick to it.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 01:00 PM »
So what's the difference between braided and ice braid? Water retention? I'm thinking of just sticking with spiderwire vs ice braid

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:11 PM »
spider wire will freeze and u will get breakoffs as the ice damages the line

Offline bernie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:15 PM »
I like running on my summer and ice rod is sufix 832  braided line with gore in 40 lbs test in a 10 lbs mono diameter in lo vis green. that's  my two cents.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:36 AM »
spider wire will freeze and u will get breakoffs as the ice damages the line

Ice damaging spiderwire? isn't that the point of braided - increased abrasion resistance?

I like running on my summer and ice rod is sufix 832  braided line with gore in 40 lbs test in a 10 lbs mono diameter in lo vis green. that's  my two cents.

I was wondering about the sufix gore, but haven't heard too many reviews on it so was skeptical

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Fireline Fireline Fireline.  I use it year round for everything and wouldn't trade it for anything.  The Fireline Ice is a little more "limp" so it comes off the reel smoother with small jigs IMO.  4lbs for perch, 8lbs for walleye, 14lbs on my pike rod and 20 on the baitcaster when i get mad at the fish.  I would stay away from the nanofil, Never used it through the ice but...I read about it and how it won the best new line award etc. etc.  this line is amazing to cast with but thats where it stops, ZERO abrasion resistance.  We would just look at it wrong and it would fray all to hell so would have to re-tie every other cast...lasted one afternoon.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:14 AM »
I have 4 different braids on various setups. Fireline, fireline crystal, power pro superslick and suffix 832.may favorite so far is the suffix.least favorite is fireline. It's frayed to hell.the crystal is nice but I only use it on a bait cast reel for walleye and I'm not fishing 40 plus with it.my advice, go with suffix 832.i tie a 12 lb flouro leader on my lighter rods and 15 lb leader on my heavy rods.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Ice damaging spiderwire? isn't that the point of braided - increased abrasion resistance?

I was wondering about the sufix gore, but haven't heard too many reviews on it so was skeptical
The advantages of braids are thin diameter and low stretch, definitely not abrasion resistance. I use Sufix 832 in open water and 832 Ice in winter. I've seen no difference in icing up with the ice line and wouldn't buy it again. Sufix has some interesting new lines for release in 2014, which may have application to ice fishing. I attach a length of fluorocarbon for invisibility and to prevent cutting/abrasion on the edges of the holes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.