Author Topic: How much wood could...?  (Read 1980 times)

elbowlake

How much wood could...?
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:51 AM »
I'm building an 8x8 fish shanty, here in MN...
I plan on using 2x4's for the floor frame, with ? for floor...I'll have 2 2x10's for runners....for walls ill be using 2x2's and 2 inch?  foam insulation...
im sure some people are laughing and some maybe urked, but i need help in this department, mainly, how much of each kind of wood will i need to buy? for example, "i need ? 2x2's"...
im unsure of how to do the roof, i mean, im sure i can figure it out, but some help and/or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!
I'll keep an eye on this post today and hopefully, someone with more know how will step in and help=)
thanx and happy holiday's "fishing days"-casey

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How much wood could...?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:23 PM »
Heres what I do for projects.  MAKE A GOOD SET OF PLANS!!!!! This way you can have a scale drawing of your project and get very close to the correct material needed.  I use graph paper and this way everything stays to scale.  So until you draw up this thing it is going to be pretty hard to say how much you will need.  Also when you are building things, it is much easier to erase on a piece of paper than rebuilding something so have all the kinks and ideas out on paper so when it is time to building things will go smoothly.  Good luck and happy building!
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:05 PM »
Here is a rough estimate of what you'll need

2-1/2" 4x8' cdx ply wood for floor
8-1/4" 4x8' luan ply wood for the walls if that is what you will use,  paint it
2-1/4" or 3/8" cdx ply wood for roof, your choice on thickness,  I use 3/8"
2-2"x10"x10' pressure treated(or regular spruce kiln dried your choice)
8-2"x4"x93" for the floor joices,  you can cut the  3" off a 8' 2x4 and nail it to the inside of your 2x10's to make the floor area 8' wide,  i space mine 16" on center.  Or you could build a box frame and then put it on your 2x10 ski's then you'll need 2 more 2x4's for that method.

For the wall studs I usually rip down 2x4's in half approx to  1 5/8" a 2x4 is 3.5" and usually a table saw blade is 1/8" so you usually end up w/ 1 5/8" x 1.5".  1.5" being the thickness of the 2x4. I still call them 2x2's, I usually space my wall studs at 24" on center no real need to do 16" on center like in a house.   

20-2x4x8' ripped in half for the walls.  That is w/ no windows, if you want windows than you need to frame them out and that takes more 2x2's.  Walls I base on the gable ends to not exceed 8' from the peak of the roof to the floor.  Other wise we'd need more ply wood. 

5-2x4x10' for roof here is how I do it

Roof I always just do a peaked roof,  I like them.  No slanted or flat roofs for me.   
I always use a ridge pole as well, then I run my rafters down to my walls.  then sheet the roof.   I'm tall at 6'7",  so I like a tall interior.  I put my side wall height at 6'9" and the center of the roof height from the floor at 8'.  Rafters I use 2x4's notched out so that they fit over the wall a little bit,  so that there is a 1.5" eve, and about 1" gap b/w the roof sheating and the top of the wall for ventilation,   I then put my rafters at 24" on center as well.  you'll use 5-2x4x10'  for that.  When I put my roof sheeting up I set it at the edge of the rafters and then nail it down.   You'll end up with a gap at the Ridgline for ventilation. 

for roofing I use single coverage rolled roofing comes in differant colors,  I use black b/c it sucks up more of the suns heat which helps to melt off the snow and warm the interior.  A single role of this you'll need they are 50' long by 3' wide so you'll have extra left over.  I start at the bottom and roll accross,  parrallel to the ridge line on both sides,  then the final strip accross the top.   I use roofing nails,  and drip edge on mine its up to you.   

more or less I build mine like minature house w/ some down size materials.  I spend alot of time in it so I also finish the inside.  any questions just ask.

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:51 PM »
Here is a rough estimate of what you'll need

2-1/2" 4x8' cdx ply wood for floor
8-1/4" 4x8' luan ply wood for the walls if that is what you will use,  paint it
2-1/4" or 3/8" cdx ply wood for roof, your choice on thickness,  I use 3/8"
2-2"x10"x10' pressure treated(or regular spruce kiln dried your choice)
8-2"x4"x93" for the floor joices,  you can cut the  3" off a 8' 2x4 and nail it to the inside of your 2x10's to make the floor area 8' wide,  i space mine 16" on center.  Or you could build a box frame and then put it on your 2x10 ski's then you'll need 2 more 2x4's for that method.

For the wall studs I usually rip down 2x4's in half approx to  1 5/8" a 2x4 is 3.5" and usually a table saw blade is 1/8" so you usually end up w/ 1 5/8" x 1.5".  1.5" being the thickness of the 2x4. I still call them 2x2's, I usually space my wall studs at 24" on center no real need to do 16" on center like in a house.   

20-2x4x8' ripped in half for the walls.  That is w/ no windows, if you want windows than you need to frame them out and that takes more 2x2's.  Walls I base on the gable ends to not exceed 8' from the peak of the roof to the floor.  Other wise we'd need more ply wood. 

5-2x4x10' for roof here is how I do it

Roof I always just do a peaked roof,  I like them.  No slanted or flat roofs for me.   
I always use a ridge pole as well, then I run my rafters down to my walls.  then sheet the roof.   I'm tall at 6'7",  so I like a tall interior.  I put my side wall height at 6'9" and the center of the roof height from the floor at 8'.  Rafters I use 2x4's notched out so that they fit over the wall a little bit,  so that there is a 1.5" eve, and about 1" gap b/w the roof sheating and the top of the wall for ventilation,   I then put my rafters at 24" on center as well.  you'll use 5-2x4x10'  for that.  When I put my roof sheeting up I set it at the edge of the rafters and then nail it down.   You'll end up with a gap at the Ridgline for ventilation. 

for roofing I use single coverage rolled roofing comes in differant colors,  I use black b/c it sucks up more of the suns heat which helps to melt off the snow and warm the interior.  A single role of this you'll need they are 50' long by 3' wide so you'll have extra left over.  I start at the bottom and roll accross,  parrallel to the ridge line on both sides,  then the final strip accross the top.   I use roofing nails,  and drip edge on mine its up to you.   

more or less I build mine like minature house w/ some down size materials.  I spend alot of time in it so I also finish the inside.  any questions just ask.

NOW THATS SOME GOOD INSTRUCTION!!!!!
FISH ON!!!!!!!

elbowlake

« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2005, 12:57 PM »
THATS AWESOME! thank you soo much=)
this should be an interesting project for me, ive helped build plenty of things over the years, but either i dont pay attention or my memory putts out on me. excellent info=)
happy holidays everyone!
thanx again-casey

Offline dukhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Hey Elbow Lake: I have a place on PDT Lake, (Point Comfort) and have my house newly completed house (6x12 on wheels) on the lake NE from the public access. The fishhouse is dark green with a white roof. I will be out there Sat Afternoon and evening. If you want, stop by and you can see how it was built.

Dukhntr

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2006, 04:46 PM »
FreshBait

Thats a pretty nice shanty on the trailer. Do you have any more pics to share (Inside and out)?

Thanks
Jeremy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.