Author Topic: Why I haven’t quit yet.  (Read 1483 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Why I haven’t quit yet.
« on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Yesterday was a grand day to be out on the ice once again.  The fishing wasn’t red-hot, but the weather was just about perfect.  Mostly clear skies with temperatures in the mid 30s and just a slight breeze.  I took my coat off for most of the day.

The place was Mantua.  We got to the boat ramp at about 8:30 AM and found solid ice right up to the shoreline and ramp.  Unloaded the snowmobile and ice sleds, parked the truck and trailer, and headed out onto the ice.

The slush was non-existent; frozen solid.

We set up in 16 FOW to start and found zero fish.  We moved around and tried 6 different locations for the bottom huggers and couldn’t find them.  However, I did manage to pop a couple of nice 15/16 inch, healthy looking trout cruising at about 5 feet down with my Jaw Jacker.

My fishing partner for the day decided to do a walk-about and find some shallower water.  He ended up over 7 FOW and started picking up some gills, perch, and trout.  He gave me a call and I headed over to join him.  I started catching some fish, but they were all too small to keep.  He was having better luck and ended up keeping these for some fish dinners.

His prize for the day was this very nice 12.5” perch.

Well, that’s it folks.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  And just for the folks that think the ice isn’t safe anymore because the edges are turning into open water, I’d like to let you know that I drilled 9 different sets of holes and the ice thickness was 12 to 13 inches thick at every location.  We picked up and left at 3:00 PM and the ice surface had softened to the point that the snowmobile track was digging into the surface about ½ inch.  There is no snow on top of the ice, so the walking is dicey at best; I strongly recommend wearing ice cleats.

Life is good!
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline The Don Mega

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Why I haven’t quit yet.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:21 AM »
That is a beautiful Perch!  Congratulations on the catch. 

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2014, 02:06 PM »
Thats a nice perch right there  :thumbsup: Looks like we should have saved gas $ and hit mantua monday instead of chester, but then i would not have got onto the bow trophy board for another prize drawing for the tourney. We have to postpone our recon trip to the view until tomorrow, but i did get word today that it also has refroze well. Great trip bob  :thumbsup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I was just getting to walk out the door to drive up there and meet you guys when I decided to check my emails one last time.  Darn good thing I did.  I guess I'll wait and drive up there tomorrow as well.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:44 PM »
That's a jumbo yellow for sure, very nice.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:26 PM »
I was just getting to walk out the door to drive up there and meet you guys when I decided to check my emails one last time.  Darn good thing I did.  I guess I'll wait and drive up there tomorrow as well.

Sorry bob i should have called you, tomorrows weather should be a little more cooperative also
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Happy to hear you guys are still on the ice down yonder. I might just have to take a drive down after all!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Happy to hear you guys are still on the ice down yonder. I might just have to take a drive down after all!

Just sent you a text
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Well dubob, I must say it's nice to see a fellow duckhunter and skeet shooter as crazy as me. You know all icefishermen are nuts, right?  ;)  Nice story and pics. Tight lines and stay safe out there!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Absolutely stark raving mad.

;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Absolutely stark raving mad.

;D

:clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.