Author Topic: Freezing mono  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Freezing mono
« on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:36 AM »
I have some six pound Trilene mono on a jig rod that has been freezing. To the point where the eye on the rod tip also freezes and I can't reel in the line.

Should I try a new brand of mono or switch to braid and tie a leader? Any tips would be much appreciated.
Marking anything?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Freezing mono
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Freezing lines and wind were the reason I finally got a shelter. Fluorocarbon may be a better choice. I think it absorbs less water than mono. I only use braid on tip-ups and it definitely absorbs
water which makes winding it back on the spool more challenging. I've never used braid on a rod during ice season but I would think in sub-zero weather it could be a problem rewinding on the
reel. Larger guides help but outside I still had to melt the ice off the line and guides with my fingers.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:37 PM »
braid will make your problem worse, it has great sensitivity and no stretch, but it holds water and freezes faster than any other line.

i suggest picking up a can of Reel Magic, it has de-icing properties, and works great to spray on your line and guides.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:38 PM »
braid will make your problem worse, it has great sensitivity and no stretch, but it holds water and freezes faster than any other line.

i suggest picking up a can of Reel Magic, it has de-icing properties, and works great to spray on your line and guides.

I was wondering about Reel Magic. I have some so I'll make sure to bring it.
Marking anything?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.