Author Topic: Kentucky/Alleyne lakes (near Merritt)  (Read 1202 times)

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kentucky/Alleyne lakes (near Merritt)
« on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Just wanted to know if anyone has fished the Kentucky/Alleyne lakes and ponds.  I've never been, but I decided to pull in and try Alleyne since I heard there's kokanee.  There was nobody else there, which was kind of concerning since it's only 30 min away from Merritt. 

I was targeting kokanee in about 60 feet of water in the top 8-15 feet using a 3" spoon and small jighead tipped with shrimp.  The water clarity in this lake is amazing, as I could still see my jig at 20 feet.  Caught and released lots of small kokanee (8-10"), but was hoping for larger. 

Incidentally I put my GoPro through the ice and filmed a nice rainbow (about 1.5 lbs) going after my jig.  I hooked him, he shook the hook as I was pulling him up, but he wasn't spooked and still came back repeatedly! 

Anyhow I have a few queries:

1. Has anyone seen larger kokanee in Alleyne?  I also noticed that they weren't schooling like they do in other lakes, and was wondering if there was a reason why they weren't following this behavior.

2. Rainbows up higher in the water column?  I know they can be at any depth, but at this time of year I wouldn't have expected to see one at eight feet under the ice.  Perhaps they are targeting the kokanee?  Which might explain why the kokanee aren't schooling? 

My queries are more to do with behavior, so if you have any thoughts please feel free to chime in

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.