Author Topic: Worst purchase this season  (Read 23511 times)

Offline finchasr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
Worst purchase this season
« on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:30 AM »
OK so there's a thread covering best purchase of the season so what about your worst? Something that made you say "If I only knew _______". Hopefully we can save some members some grief here being that the end of the season is coming and lots of gear is going on clearance now.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
Re: Worst purchase this season
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Fishing license - It led to a string of expensive purchases...
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline prefect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Frabill srping bobbers. I guess they'd be fine at temps above freezing, but they freeze up really easily below. Very frustrating.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:27 AM »

FOR THE WIN!!!   ;D ;D
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Fireline, it ices up so bad in cold weather you can't reel a fish in....back to mono I go.

Offline mattpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Eskimo Z71 the new ones are complete garbage
Monster Stalker

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Eskimo Z71 the new ones are complete garbage
What is wrong with it? I have a friend who got one this year and loves his.
<===Lefty===

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Just wait till he yanks the pull rope out of it. Plastic parts. Plus they already know they have a problem with this and keep selling them anyhow.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Eagle claw inline

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Frabill inlines, got them at outlet store so I can't complain too much but....
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Just wait till he yanks the pull rope out of it. Plastic parts. Plus they already know they have a problem with this and keep selling them anyhow.
4 Years and rope intact. Plastic parts all intact. Either you are careful with your stuff or you break it. Same goes for people that bust all the breakable parts in the interior of their cars with in the first year. You just can't expect everything to be unbreakable.  These type people can't wash dishes either. OH that one is clean throw it in the other side to rinse.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2014, 04:18 PM »
clam nitinol bobbers.stays bent over in the cold and straighten back out when warmed up.

Offline Dubya

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Strikemaster magnum 10 inch auger.  I guess there was a reason I got it so cheap.

Offline OhioSwampRat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:08 AM »
Celceus ice line (the dark blue mono stuff)  I knew Celceius was bad, but I was low on cash and $2 was all I had, spooled it up in the right direction, and the transparent blue looked awesome on the reel, went out to the lake and half the line poofed off the spool, while inspecting the mess at home I noticed it was really thick for its #, infact the 8lb celceius was visibly larger in diameter then every other brand 10lb mono on my bench, snd it was stiffer then copper wire after jigging for 30 minutes

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Nylon coated tip up line. I've heard so many good things about the "problems" they solved like line freezing. It only causes problems, and they don't seem to stock 100 yard spools of regular dacron past november so I'm stuck with it. ::)
-Tom

Offline mcsquinty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Frabil Straight Line 101XLA

A buddy got one the same time I did.  The spool handle broke off on BOTH within two weeks!  I'll be boxing mine and sending it back to Frabil, they can keep it.

It's not that I'm hard on reels, or new to this style.  I've got two clam spoolers, a crappie hunter(way too small), Pflueger Medalist fly reel, Cabelas plastic fly reel(model unknown, two Cabelas wind river fly reels.  Anyways, I've got a several, this is the only one that couldn't stand up to normal use. 

Also, the drag is absolute crap.  When you pull line out, it has a real rough feeling to it, and it just doesn't loosen up enough.  As stated, I've had many fly reels, and this one is particularly poor quality.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Frabil Straight Line 101XLA

A buddy got one the same time I did.  The spool handle broke off on BOTH within two weeks!  I'll be boxing mine and sending it back to Frabil, they can keep it.

It's not that I'm hard on reels, or new to this style.  I've got two clam spoolers, a crappie hunter(way too small), Pflueger Medalist fly reel, Cabelas plastic fly reel(model unknown, two Cabelas wind river fly reels.  Anyways, I've got a several, this is the only one that couldn't stand up to normal use. 

Also, the drag is absolute crap.  When you pull line out, it has a real rough feeling to it, and it just doesn't loosen up enough.  As stated, I've had many fly reels, and this one is particularly poor quality.

I went into Cabela's one day and saw a Straight line Combo. Picked it up and the spool fell off. Pushed it back on and it clicked,so I thought it was on there good. Wrong it fell off again and then the handle broke off after hitting the carpet. Cheap piece of crud.
<===Lefty===

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:52 PM »

And they continue...
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2014, 10:50 AM »
Bought a case of beer called Beer Thirty Light. It was only $13 for a 30 pack. By far the worst purchase to take ice fishing!  ;D
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline Allfishinnocatchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2014, 12:49 PM »
I bought two of the expedition paddle reel combos. Oh did I make a mess spooling one. If you catch it on the first turn after the line jumps reel it's just slightly frustrating. Any thing past the third turn and your taking it apart.  They do put a lot of line down the hole fast, tho, and the pole they come on is pretty nice. Points for trying something new. -points for how it worked. No hard feelings tho. It takes bad ideas to make good ideas.

Offline Allfishinnocatchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I ll vouch for Eskimo tho. I ve had a q51 for three years and have been nothing but happy. And I have to agree that buying a fishing license does seem to be an open ended purchase.  :o

Offline Mack11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:06 AM »
I just purchased 2 Frabil 101 XLA reels. There is no information available for the line capacity. I even called Frabil, but they were unable to answer my question. What is the recommended yardage for 4 Lb.test? I will be primarily fishing for panfish.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:16 AM »
I just purchased 2 Frabil 101 XLA reels. There is no information available for the line capacity. I even called Frabil, but they were unable to answer my question. What is the recommended yardage for 4 Lb.test? I will be primarily fishing for panfish.
From the look of it, I would think at least 100 yards. Make sure you stay back from the edge of the reel at least 1/4 inch filled up. ;)

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:48 PM »

For panfish you wouldn't need a lot of line. I only put on  about 50 feet, but i usually fish in less than 20 feet of water.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Fireline, iced up, back to mono

Small diameter spring bobbers froze up, get the large diameter ones.

suitcase shanty, too hard to drag in the snow, when the ice was blown clear wouldn't sit still, even when anchored.  Little buttons to push to break it down very difficult after long day of fishing.

"runners" on the bottom of my jet sled, all they add is weight, no easier to drag with them on.

boat style fish finder in ammo box  with battery instead of a true flasher. 

gosh...I hope that's it :)

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Frabill srping bobbers. I guess they'd be fine at temps above freezing, but they freeze up really easily below. Very frustrating.

(Image removed from quote.)

I saw something that said use that cooking pan spray on the spring bobber and the ice wont build!
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline tr7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:24 AM »
Way too many plastics! Not really a bad thing, but they just don't seem to work for me. It's not for lask of trying either. We buy bait and the first jig down the hole is tipped wit some sort of plastic as I really want these things to work for me. 9 out 10 times though it's back to live bait. I will try throughout the day with the plastics again, but always the same results.

Honestly I was out last weekend and live bait was the only thing the perch were taking. We happened to be there on the "hot time" and were pulling fish with no bait at all. I figured, hell of a time to try these plastics again. At least I would be able to say I caught a fish on them. No kidding I tipped the jig dumped it down, nothing! Guy sitting right next to me with nothing on his jig out fishing me. Frustrating to say the least.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:37 PM »
two fly reel type inline reels.

I fish too deep for these to be effective, they're going back on the bench.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:41 PM »

I spun about 80 Yds. on mine. (that's what I had on hand) It's not a big issue on these
straight-lines; spin what you want on it...100 Yds is more than sufficient, IMO. Why use more?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline redgoose99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Blue Tipz.  Bought a couple, and neither one went off reliably.  Big disappointment.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.