Author Topic: Frustrated with Ice Armor gloves  (Read 1421 times)

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
Frustrated with Ice Armor gloves
« on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:36 AM »
I don't want this to seem like I am beating up the entire Ice Armor line of products - but I do want to vent my frustrations with their glove product and their customer service.  I do own their blue suit and have been pleased with that, but I will never purchase accessory products from them again.

I'm not sure what happened at the top of the glove, but the side seam has literally just fallen apart.  I have contacted their customer service and was told that this isn't a manufacturing defect, and the photo does not show poor workmanship.  When I asked for clarification, I was told the gloves had been altered and they could not help.  My next response stated there are NO alterations, and I would be more than happy to send the glove back, at no cost to them, as an RMA to inspect.  I have not heard back since. 

It's not the end of the world, but I was hoping for better quality out of a pair of $50 gloves.  I'm not sure if I will replace with a different product, or just get by with an older pair that I have. 

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frustrated with Ice Armor gloves
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:48 AM »
When did you send them in ?
Hard Ice

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:49 AM »
I didn't.  I sent this photo and offered to send this glove in.  I have not been taken up on that offer.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:49 AM »
how old are the gloves? I've never seen brown ones before. I have only seen the black ones.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:57 AM »
I have both the glove & mitten of the X version and like their warmth but the gloves started deteriorating premature as far as I'm concerned.  As you say for 40-50 bucks it could be better.  I have to admit the end of yours with the circular marks and the raggedness make it look like the dog got it or was ran over by a snomobile.

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:01 AM »
  Did it get to close to a "NILLS " !
                                                                 :whistle:

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Some of your comments made me go take another look at the gloves.  The round marks aren't from a sled or dog (octopus maybe?), but it looks like I must have grabbed something hot.  I do remember the top portion looking almost like a little sear before it started falling apart.

The side, no excuses on my end.  That's just poor stitching.

I don't know - what do you all think?  I never complained to Ice Armor before the side stitching started going.

Maybe I don't have any reason to complain? 

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:41 AM »
I doubt that you could resew the seam without making holes in the plastic liner. Maybe try using a product called shoe glue, or shoo glue. goo it in there, form the seam again and pinch it with clothespins til it dries.

By the look of the wear at the fingertip part of the glove, You may have gotten your moneys worth out of them before the seam split.   ;)

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:43 AM »
You know, maybe it's just because I'm right handed, but the left glove looks brand spanking new.

Offline Bluegillin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:48 AM »
I have the edge task gloves.  I bought 4 pairs on clearance.  I have torn stitching on nearly everyone.  I am not impressed with the quality of the material or construction quality.  I am going to buy the Frabil task gloves next time
"I have this theory that the truth is never told during the nine to five hours" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:55 AM »
the only problem I have with my ice armour gloves was user error. fell off my lap and on the my buddy heater. That was 4 years ago and I still wear the same pair today. I have a brand new set on me that I use as a back up. I love mine.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:58 AM »
I got one word to fix your problem   _Columbia

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:06 AM »
x2

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:06 AM »
The top defiantly looks like it came into contact with something hot.

And if one of the stitches on the side did as well they may have been enough to pop the seam.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:07 AM »
I have both the gloves and the mittens.
The mittens are great and a lot warmer then gloves.
The gloves started fraying right away, but the seams are holding so far.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:16 AM »
i have the ice armour glves and love them. the only problem that I have is getting thm back on when my hands are wet. have been using the same pair for 3 years and have another as a backup. came in handy when my brother's gloves got soaked.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:25 AM »
my ice armor gloves (not mittens) fell apart right away and leaked water right away and the thumb material fell apart right away and i sent them back and they sent me another pair that i don't use because they are doing the same things. also, they run way too small and don't make a size that fits. i wear xl and their xl is like a medium to large
i know i have them around here some where, but don't miss them at all

been using wool ever since

which columbia gloves are you talking about?
i'm interested

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:29 AM »
my ice armor gloves are awful.  stitches popping everywhere.  they aren't particularly warm either.  last pair for me.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Same here both pair of gloves fell apart within a few trips out. For now I'm using my Iron Clad gloves from work so far the have made it 4 years. When they die will use my leather snowmobile gloves.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:45 AM »
I had a pair of their gloves also. Reading this thread is like going over a check list.

Gloves leak-      Check
hole in thumb-   Check
Fingers cold  -    check
sizes run small-  check

Done buying them - check

WS

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:28 AM »
I've got the Ice Armor gloves.  I've had them for three years, still holding up pretty well.  They aren't waterproof though.

JJ

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I've found that insulated leather work gloves from the hardware store are tough to beat for ice fishing, when I wear them. They last years and you get good dexterity with them for holding the rod and reeling, running the auger, etc.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:00 AM »
Good durable gloves are hard to come by these days with most of them being made in china,well ya know,but if you want to find a good durable gloves look at some of the gloves made for snowboarding, I made snow at a ski area for 22 years so I know a little about gloves boarding gloves are worth taking a look at

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:07 AM »
my ice armor gloves (not mittens) fell apart right away and leaked water right away and the thumb material fell apart right away and i sent them back and they sent me another pair that i don't use because they are doing the same things. also, they run way too small and don't make a size that fits. i wear xl and their xl is like a medium to large
i know i have them around here some where, but don't miss them at all

been using wool ever since

which columbia gloves are you talking about?
i'm interested

The Omni heat gloves,best I have ever had. 100% waterproof. I use them for waterfowling picking up decoys and very warm and you can put your hand under water and they stay dry. Mine are camo but I here they stoped making them in camo. Just search there site  Columbia.com  There are not cheap $95 but well worth it I am on my 3rd season.

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:13 AM »
I love a thread that just talks reality about the gear we use ice fishing.  Merchandise has so much hype attached to it, we forget about the reality (and may not compare) whether it works..... or not. 
I own plenty gloves/mitts and compare them out on the ice, doing what I do, week after week.  I must say that I LOVE the design of the Ice Armour gauntlet gloves because it works well, BUT THE MATERIALS SUCK HUGE.  They used the cheapest material and charged full grown prices!   Let me say that Ice Armour has sold alot of gloves riding the huge consumer wave of ice fishing industry expansion; but, has yet to make gloves and mitts with fabric and materials that dont begin the downward spiral of wear and tear the first week of use.   Like I said in the previous sentence.... I own and compare... to find the right hand tools for ice fishing and 'Ice Armour' is NOT worth the money they ask.  For god sakes swap out your materials for grown up consumers and keep your design and your hold on the marketplace.   Otherwise consumer beware. They are not living up to the 'hype' and certainly not living up to their name.  Fraying, poor quality material that does not resist normal wear and tear in the places the product should perform.

I think a name change for the company is appropriate.  We tried your gear and you dont compare.  Maybe  "ICE ARMOUR ....The Wear Out Wonder" ?        ;D

Gear that wears out gets replaced by gear that doesnt suck it.   

(Owned)  LOL  ;D ;D

Sportsman

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Good durable gloves are hard to come by these days with most of them being made in china,well ya know,but if you want to find a good durable gloves look at some of the gloves made for snowboarding, I made snow at a ski area for 22 years so I know a little about gloves boarding gloves are worth taking a look at

X2  

and ski gloves b/c they have been manufacturing for decades .... for alot less $    (no cool ice fishing 'hype'  just better hand tools)
Buyer beware
Sportsman

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:18 PM »
I got the FXE Gauntlet gloves from Frabill for Christmas, awesome gloves, leather palm and super warm. Check em out.

Offline Pindrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I go to nature to have my senses put in order.
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:19 PM »
I got The HT Artic Mittens, I love them.   Warm and waterproof.   And changeable Liners.

Offline Pindrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I go to nature to have my senses put in order.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:41 PM »
HT Polar Mittens. There Great.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:06 PM »
The Omni heat gloves,best I have ever had. 100% waterproof. I use them for waterfowling picking up decoys and very warm and you can put your hand under water and they stay dry. Mine are camo but I here they stoped making them in camo. Just search there site  Columbia.com  There are not cheap $95 but well worth it I am on my 3rd season.

i'm at that site, but nothing like that there
http://www.columbia.com/mens/men,default,sc.html?q=Omni%20heat%20glove

thanks tho

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.