The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Frozen Whole Body Smelt at Albertons  (Read 1404 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Frozen Whole Body Smelt at Albertons
« on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:27 PM »
FYI - Just picked up a nice package of frozen 4" whole body smelt at Albertson's grocery in Gillette. They look great for tipups at KH and next trip to Pactola they are going on a couple of Arctic Warriors for deadsticking Lakers while I jig nearby.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Frozen Whole Body Smelt at Albertons
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:25 PM »
Does that seem to be the ticket for KH?  I have yet to have any luck on a tip up over there.  I believe the guesthouse sells them as well?  If not I may have to swing by there before I head out Saturday.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2014, 05:55 PM »
FYI - Just picked up a nice package of frozen 4" whole body smelt at Albertson's grocery in Gillette. They look great for tipups at KH and next trip to Pactola they are going on a couple of Arctic Warriors for deadsticking Lakers while I jig nearby.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Any idea how those hold up? 

We always bring frozen anchovies down to Lake Powell just in case you need them for schooling striped bass.  They are nasty!  Once they start to thaw, they turn into stinky, mushy goo that taints anything they come in contact with.  Fortunately I have only needed to use them a few times, and they can really work when nothing else does....

Offline LeeDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:03 PM »
I picked up a pack of un-frozen smelt at Smith's in Casper this week... and then ate them.  Screw the fish, those things are great!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:55 AM »
   Great eating LeeDoo,and good bait for pike. Maybe a wally would take one if they got hungry enough. ;D :tipup:

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Gotta ask:  What's the best way to prepare those smelt for human consumption?
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline LeeDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I just pan fry 'em, but batter-n-bake would work fine as well.

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:54 PM »
My best luck at KH has been on a minnow that comes in the packages. Get the big ones and put treble hook at the head and one in the tail. Put one 10' down and one on bottom. I will almost guarntee that you get a big nothern on that. Rite now their in pre spawn stages. They should be shallow and eating only big baits. Once you find them you will really get into them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.