Author Topic: Cabelas  (Read 6779 times)

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cabelas
« on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:11 AM »
They are going to build a Cabelas in Ammon . That should give Sportsmans some competion .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Nice.  I love Cabelas.  I hope to be their poster boy some day. ;)

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:34 AM »
I will check with the boss.

Offline Ifish/Hunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Cool, another place were customer service means nothing and the employees have little to no experience in the outdoors, or the products they sell. Cabelas sells crap, I take back almost everything i purchase from them. Zippers break, bags ripped, brand new out of the box Cabelas shelter had HOLES in it. Don't expect to go in there and get any use full help....my two cents

Offline Bardic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I'm just happy when sales people leave me alone. I get all my advice on here anyway.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Two problems I have with cabelas, 1. Mark up 2. Selection region specific not customer based.

Make sure you get in there quick or maybe even email them before they set everything up! Make sure they know that there is a larger constituent of ice anglers than they think! The Post Falls one already took all their ice gear down and only had 1 isle when there was fish-able ice!

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:21 PM »
They have a decent selection of lures and such in the Boise store. I'll spend and hour or two checking out stuff when I'm over that way.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:25 PM »
yet again, pocatello is cut out of the large sporting goods store deal.

big 5 is okay, but i really need more than a single aisle of fishing stuff, and Element outfitters carries VERY little in the way of panfish and ice fishing gear. don't even bother talking to me about Dicks.
(it's ridiculous when Walmart has a better fishing section than most of the other sporting goods stores in town)

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:37 PM »
They have a decent selection of lures and such in the Boise store. I'll spend and hour or two checking out stuff when I'm over that way.

Yes, they have decent selection.  They also have an excellent return policy, which is one reason I really like them.  They do stock a lot of stuff, but it seems they don't stock the stuff I like deep enough.  The stuff I use most is always sold out when I want it, so then I have to order on line a wait for it.  :-(

If the local guys would do more research into what sells out and how fast, they could stock more of the "good" sellers and not as much of the stuff that's sits on the shelf for a long time.  That would make it better, IMHO.  >-<>J

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:06 PM »
Cool, another place were customer service means nothing and the employees have little to no experience in the outdoors, or the products they sell. Cabelas sells crap, I take back almost everything i purchase from them. Zippers break, bags ripped, brand new out of the box Cabelas shelter had HOLES in it. Don't expect to go in there and get any use full help....my two cents

Maybe so, but I agree with hooknhunter...their return policy is great.  They take items back with virtually zero questions asked.  Also if you wait long enough everything goes on sale at some point in time!  I rarely buy anything there unless it is on sale.

They aren't perfect, but if you have one in your town it's tough not to stop in and browse.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Maybe so, but I agree with hooknhunter

This might be a first. ;D

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Maybe so, but I agree with hooknhunter...their return policy is great.  They take items back with virtually zero questions asked.  Also if you wait long enough everything goes on sale at some point in time!  I rarely buy anything there unless it is on sale.

They aren't perfect, but if you have one in your town it's tough not to stop in and browse.

Ditto for me...

Offline golfmechhs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Looking forward to the opening. Will be nice to have a Cabelas close. Might not go into Sportsmans again.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Cabelas has the best return policy out there end of story...if you have the receipt. ..I like sporsmans warehouse also but dont try to return anything even with the receipt they make ya feel like your on trial...
BOWHUNTER68

Offline solesoaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:52 PM »
I am some what please with cabals coming to east Idaho, but I do wish the sporting goods store in Missoula  would come down, I believe it's called whole sale sports, I stopped in there one year on my way back to Moscow, best selection of ice gear I have ever seen!! 4 12ft isles of jigs , lures, poles, scoops, just your basic gear of all shapes,sizes and colors then it was onto the bigger items, not much of a selection of shanty's but augers of all major brands... It was amazing!
what did the fish say when he ran into a brick wall?

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Meh. I prefer sportsmans over Cabelas anyway. Don't get me wrong, I buy from Cabelas, but their prices are jacked up so high they should give you a tube of KY at checkout. It's nice having a Cabela's and Sportsmans here in Boise. I buy from both and online.
James

Offline deepforks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:37 AM »
cabelas is an overpriced joke. what it is good for is actually getting your hands or an eyeball on name brand products. if you like it, buy it cheaper somewhere online. not saying I haven't or won't buy there. but, it's a last resort.

Offline Idaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:18 AM »
I will always be a Turner's boy. Off of State. That is were fishing knowledge Starts.

Idaho

Offline StrikeMojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Any competition just helps the consumer.  That being said, if you compare prices at Sporties and Cabela's, Cabela's is invariably higher unless they are having a sale.  I do spend a lot of money there, but I do my research first and make sure I know what the competitors rate is.  Both places (and Dick's too) have wholesale buyers in other states purchasing their stuff.  That is why we have so much gear in those stores that doesn't really fit what we do locally.  For a better selection of stuff for what we need to fish local waters, the mom and pop places like Turners and Howards either have what you need, or can get it quickly.

Just my 2 cents...
Tight Lines,

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:49 AM »
You have to love Turners!  Where else can you have a couple drinks and then buy some fishing gear under the same roof?

Offline Ifish/Hunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Cabelas has the best return policy out there end of story...if you have the receipt. ..I like sportsman's warehouse also but don't try to return anything even with the receipt they make ya feel like your on trial...

Yes they do ever wonder why? Turners that is funny I can still see the first time I walked in there 20+ years ago Looks the same today. LOL! Heard some good stories out of that store.

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Stopped into Turners a few summers ago for some fishing lures...ended up taking a cab home!

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I stopped at a Cabelas in Mitchell SD years ago while moving to Montana and I saw a farmer return some work boots that looked 15 yrs old...I asked the service guy why he took them back? He said the farmer said they were not keeping his feet dry and they refunded him 100% with the receipt no questions asked....the only place I know like that is Walmart and if you buy your hunting gear there I guess ya mine as well enjoy that ride it will be a common occurrence. .
BOWHUNTER68

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:22 PM »
You know why I love cabelas?

Because I can buy $3 chilli cheese fries and read all my favorite hunting mags, then put them back. No subscription required.

Offline FshnAzn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:27 AM »
I stopped at a Cabelas in Mitchell SD years ago while moving to Montana and I saw a farmer return some work boots that looked 15 yrs old...I asked the service guy why he took them back? He said the farmer said they were not keeping his feet dry and they refunded him 100% with the receipt no questions asked....the only place I know like that is Walmart and if you buy your hunting gear there I guess ya mine as well enjoy that ride it will be a common occurrence. .

The other location used to be REI.  They changed their policy this last year.  They had an increase of incidents where parents returned bike stroller carts after their kids were outgrown and other ridiculously similar incidents.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:44 PM »
I like Cabela's and have lots of Cabela's stuff.  Mostly purchased on sale.   I like Sportsman's too, better prices in general, but sometimes Cabela's has something they don't, and vice versa.

Sorry to see folks trashing a new sponsor.  Glad to have the sponsor and happy to see the store open.  Just wishin' it was going to be bigger.  Aquarium feeding time is a hoot.

SL
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:22 PM »
It is sad to see members trash a sponsor. They need to keep comment to themselves.  ???
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:24 AM »
I've often found illiterate punks have a penchant to foul mouth a positive item they would rather put in their possession through theft, than purchase. 

Cabela's has not used such tactics to become the Worlds Foremost Outfitter.

A reasonable profit usually equates to success just as cutting prices can spell failure.

The service given customers is exceptional.

This may not quieten this nonsense, but, I have spoken !

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:28 AM »
It is sad to see members trash a sponsor. They need to keep comment to themselves.

So, you are saying that if some one becomes a sponsor, we can only say nice things?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:25 AM »
So, you are saying that if some one becomes a sponsor, we can only say nice things?

What fault would you find in using a PM for such ?

May I impose on you and ask you read the conditions of use for this site as regards respect for others?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.