Author Topic: 6" Hand auger on Erie??  (Read 1291 times)

Offline minnesotaboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
6" Hand auger on Erie??
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:31 PM »
I have a bit of a dilemma. I have an 8" hand auger w dull blades. I was thinking of buying some replacements but 16" of ice can be tough w an 8" auger, but 6" seems way to small. I can't justify having my gas auger shipped from Mn as I rarely need it here. So what are you guys using?

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 6" Hand auger on Erie??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:58 PM »
14-20 inches of ice is no fun with a hand auger. We were bouncing around often and that would be tough without a power auger. A 6"would work just play out the fish before trying to turn her head up. We fish a 8" and do fine.

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2014, 03:27 PM »
8 inch jiffy. To much ice for a hand

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 03:35 PM »
If the blades are sharp, you should be able to cut it in no time!

I fished the big lake in NH this past weekend and used my 8" hand auger to cut holes in 20+ inches of ice.
As long as you have the endurane and stamina to cut numerous holes (you WILL be leaning over as you cut), you can do it.

Of course after cutting 2 holes I felt like I could tear a phone book in half.....and then exhaustion hit me.  ;D

Seriously, 16" and a hand auger is completely doable. It will be tiring if you are planning on moving around and cutting many holes, but it is doable. If you are going with others that are physically able, let them get in on the "fun" and cut a hole or two?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline frozenguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I have a 6in with sharp blades and an 8in with dull blades.  I drill the hole with the six and then go back through with the eight.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:25 PM »
used a 6" auger for years. it will be fine. switched to a 8" hand auger and it just about killed me!! still use the 6" when I have to go light.
now it's power auger for an 8" hole!!

Offline minnesotaboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Unfortunately the blades on the 8" are dull. I was trying to find  a 6" shipped to Columbus by Sat but no luck. After walking 1.5 - 2 miles out to fish I'm pretty sure we won't feel like drilling w a dull auger.
THIS SUCKS!

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:08 AM »
You won't get a 10-12 lbs. fish through a 6" inch hole. I've seen it tried and about half the fish made it out but the rest didn't. The kid came back the next day and chopped it out with an axe and a spud.

Offline westt1988

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Drill two 6" holes close to each other and spud the middle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.