Author Topic: Ice fishing Lake Michigan?  (Read 519 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice fishing Lake Michigan?
« on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:20 PM »
With at least 70 percent of Lake Michigan projected to freeze over, does anyone try to ice fish it in Indiana and lower Michigan waters when there is this much ice? It would seem tip ups would be the ticket and one shouldn't have to go out far for browns and steelhead. I know I've caught browns and rainbows just under the ice in inland lakes.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
Re: Ice fishing Lake Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:44 PM »
I myself have not heard of guys ice fishing lake Michigan, not that it can't be done. I do not know the safety of that ice and would not trust it myself, but I am a wuss so......  ;D

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:03 PM »
you sometimes read about big slabs of ice breaking, and everybody having to leave everything behind, id think id just do the edges lol

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I know they they ice fish off if Green Bay Wisconsin and catch some monster browns.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:06 PM »
you sometimes read about big slabs of ice breaking, and everybody having to leave everything behind, id think id just do the edges lol

I hear that happens on Erie but they catch some huge walleyes.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I know they they ice fish off if Green Bay Wisconsin and catch some monster browns.

Green Bay would be similar to Big and  Little Bay Denocs.  Bays that are protected from the ravages of the wind that effects the open portions of Lake Michigan so they make safer ice.

On the east shore of the big lake you are just plain stupid if you venture out on the ice bergs. Lots of hollow spots that you could break through and DIE.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:32 PM »
I hear the DNR will run you off of trail creek in Michigan City if you are on the Ice fishing cause it just isn't safe

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:48 PM »
DO NOT attempt to ice fish on Lake Michigan!  I grew up on the west shore between Muskegon and Grand Haven.  As a very dumb kids friends and I would go out on the ice and play.  The ice forms in waves and there are weak spots everywhere.   None us weighed more than 150 lbs, but our feet would break through often.  That was part of the fun.  Like I said we were dumb.  Once a buddy went all the way in, luckily we were over the sandbar and it was only about 3 1/2 feet deep.  10 feet farther out and it could have been tragic.  Scared us enough to never go play on the ice waves again!

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:04 AM »
DO NOT attempt to ice fish on Lake Michigan!  I grew up on the west shore between Muskegon and Grand Haven.  As a very dumb kids friends and I would go out on the ice and play.  The ice forms in waves and there are weak spots everywhere.   None us weighed more than 150 lbs, but our feet would break through often.  That was part of the fun.  Like I said we were dumb.  Once a buddy went all the way in, luckily we were over the sandbar and it was only about 3 1/2 feet deep.  10 feet farther out and it could have been tragic.  Scared us enough to never go play on the ice waves again!

Great first post.

I can remember the Muskegon Chronicle printing pictures of some idiots out on the ice bergs as if it was some thing you should do. NOT!!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:13 AM »

Excellent info. Welcome aboard!

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.