Author Topic: Pike in the blackstone river?  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing is not a sport-"its a way of life"
Pike in the blackstone river?
« on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:22 AM »
A friend of mine fishes the blackstone river every spring and he has shown me pics of pike he has caught. Has anyone on iceshanty ever fished the blackstone river on the ice?Obviously,a river doesn't ice up well.. I've seen some back coves freeze up but haven't tried getting on the ice...yet.. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike in the blackstone river?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:50 AM »
yea the cove over the bridge in Manville freezes but it has got more and more shallow over the last 10 years it was quite the spot when I first moved to Manville I have not fishing it the last few years but they did just put a brand new dock up maybe all that work opened it up

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:51 AM »
I have been wondering the same thing. When I was in Blackstone Valley Outfitters buying shiners a few weeks ago I saw pictures on the wall of some large pike people had caught (in open water) not far from there.

This thread from a few years back addresses it:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=200574.0

I think the only issue would be ice thickness even in coves/ponds.

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:05 AM »
yea the cove over the bridge in Manville freezes but it has got more and more shallow over the last 10 years it was quite the spot when I first moved to Manville I have not fishing it the last few years but they did just put a brand new dock up maybe all that work opened it up

Yes,I've seen that area..thanks

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:07 AM »
I have been wondering the same thing. When I was in Blackstone Valley Outfitters buying shiners a few weeks ago I saw pictures on the wall of some large pike people had caught (in open water) not far from there.

This thread from a few years back addresses it:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=200574.0

I think the only issue would be ice thickness even in coves/ponds.

Thanks flatland, I'm surprised I didn't see that post.I'm always looking for a new spot in RI and I'm drawn to the river for some reason...maybe the huge pike pic I saw last year.. ;D

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:59 AM »
I keep the blackstone quite for quite along time but it also has smallmouth bass in there my wife caught a RockBass in there had to research what kind of fish it was had never seen one. I caught a huge yellow perch in there like 2oz off state record and there is endless  white suckers which make perfect bait there so big and jump out if the bucket so be ready for that if the lids on to tight they knock themselves out so I have a special bucket with foam top.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:05 PM »
I keep the blackstone quite for quite along time but it also has smallmouth bass in there my wife caught a RockBass in there had to research what kind of fish it was had never seen one. I caught a huge yellow perch in there like 2oz off state record and there is endless  white suckers which make perfect bait there so big and jump out if the bucket so be ready for that if the lids on to tight they knock themselves out so I have a special bucket with foam top.

Thanks for the info, Bob. I get the impression the Blackstone is underutilized in many ways (a good thing). I am a teacher, and I took my class on the Blackstone Valley Explorer boat trip this past fall. I was amazed at how serene and peaceful the Lonsdale Wetland area was (the site of the old drive-in theater). We saw no boats or people in an hour and a half on the water. The guide told me that a guy had recently sent her a picture of a 28" Northern he caught in there.

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:19 PM »
I've heard of many pike over 10 pounds being caught right in front of where black stone valley outfitters is, but have never seen one caught out of there for myself. I fish the blackstone a lot because its 5 minutes down the road from me and have caught countless species of fish. I guess I could say the blackstone is up near the top of my list of hot spots to fish, and someone told me that there are 39 species of fish in there( this person was down to earth, so ill take his word for it)

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:21 PM »
I've heard of many pike over 10 pounds being caught right in front of where black stone valley outfitters is, but have never seen one caught out of there for myself. I fish the blackstone a lot because its 5 minutes down the road from me and have caught countless species of fish. I guess I could say the blackstone is up near the top of my list of hot spots to fish, and someone told me that there are 39 species of fish in there( this person was down to earth, so ill take his word for it)
There are many pike over 10 pounds its the tail water from lake quinsigamond so all the fish in there can be found in the blackstone there are rumors of Tiger Muskie, Walleye, and Channel cats. I know there are white cats in there but would love it if there were channel.  Its also a top notch carp spot both mirror and common

Offline redhornet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:28 AM »
My friend caught one that easily went 15lbs on a jig while bass fishing in the valley falls area, definitely a  a great and under utilized fishery.

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:33 AM »
Wow, A lot of great info on the blackstone-thanks guys!!.Walleye would be a surprise to catch.Now to find some ice.. ;D :tipup: :tipup:

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Oh yea and the water is much deeper than most think when the water is at its average flow it 20+ feet in quite a few areas like under the 99 bridge. The hardest part is if you find some good underwater structure it can move or change after every heavy rain storm

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:23 AM »
There's also a lot of small mouth in there to- all this talk is getting me exited for opening day. I went there on opening day last year and limited out in an hour and a guy fishing with a rooster tail about 10 yards from me caught a gorgeous 4 pound rainbow

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Love the enthusiasm on this site. Much more positivity than other forums...thinking specifically of Stripers Online, for example.

Pikeanator I sent you a PM.

:tipup:

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:39 AM »
The best news was in the Valley Breeze this summer the army corps of enginers got 1 or 2 million to build fish ladders up the blackstone so are kids and grand kids are gonna be getting shad strippers and maybe salmon in there hopefully we will be around to see the fish return  :)

Offline Gary Gallons

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:12 PM »
As I am also enjoying all this ice I too can not wait for striper and opening day fishing!

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:07 AM »
There's also a lot of small mouth in there to- all this talk is getting me exited for opening day. I went there on opening day last year and limited out in an hour and a guy fishing with a rooster tail about 10 yards from me caught a gorgeous 4 pound rainbow

I think I know that same guy.. ;D

Offline Bassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ FLAG-UP ~
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:51 AM »
I've had luck up behind the dam at the rt 16 bridge with the ole rooster tail.
Rough going out in the waders, lots of boulders and current.
Mike & Otis the sled dog

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2014, 02:41 PM »
I've had luck up behind the dam at the rt 16 bridge with the ole rooster tail.
Rough going out in the waders, lots of boulders and current.
I've never fished that part. I usually fish at the Martin street bridge. Power bait usually is the magic there

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:47 PM »
Blackstone river is considered trout waters and isn't supposed to be fished until opening day I thought. I fish the stretch at the Madeira ave boat ramp in central falls and I know I've seen the signs saying no fishing, but I've seen pike in there more than a handful of times at all different sections  in between the 2 dams
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pikeanator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Blackstone river is considered trout waters and isn't supposed to be fished until opening day I thought. I fish the stretch at the Madeira ave boat ramp in central falls and I know I've seen the signs saying no fishing, but I've seen pike in there more than a handful of times at all different sections  in between the 2 dams
You can fish for trout till feb. 28th 2014-then the season is closed till april 12th.. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Correct you are I forgot bout that!
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.