The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing around Torrington  (Read 2181 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Ice fishing around Torrington
« on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Did a search of the lakes in the area and found quite a few names of lakes I've seen thrown around. Checked the reports/conditions board any not seeing much said about any of them.

I have to go to, of all things, a bowhunting class so I can be legal for my alaska trip. They require a bowhunting education card if you're in a bowhunting only unit. Regardless, I need the class and the only one I see offered for the next year in 4 surrounding states is in Torrington so off I go. I figure I might as well ice fish some new water while I'm there. Question is, are any of them fishing worth a darn? It appears Glendo is not. Hawk Springs, or Greyrocks doing any good???? Thanks guys.

Trent
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I値l ice fish there too!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing around Torrington
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:43 PM »
I've heard some Guernsey guys talking about a decent bite at Greyrocks a few weeks ago. Tiger muskie were also stocked in their last year the same time as Healy was stocked. Haven't heard and TM's being caught there, although some 24" Tiger's have been reported at Healy. Could be the same there?

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Forgot to even look at Healy. Just really wanting to catch some fish while I'm over there. Not trying to figure out a lake hahahaha. Sounds like Glendo is one of those lakes you have to figure out. Idk if I want to do that. But Healy and Greyrocks is definitely doable. Live bait can be used right?
Trent Williams

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Isn't Healy a long ways from Torrington?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Yes Healy would be quite a drive from Torrington. I mentioned it as a comparison to the Tiger Musky which might be found in Greyrocks. Healy you can use State Certified minnows, not sure about Greyrocks right off the bat.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:23 PM »
10-4 thanks. I'll keep doing research as it nears. Would love to catch a musky....obviously ;) .
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Wind River Archers, in Pinedale sponsored the bowhunters safety class for several years. We had to practically beg people to come and take the class.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Well it's not required in Wyoming. I mean unless you're a first time hunter and/or bowhunter there's not a lot of use for it. I'm trying to NOT have to go to Torrington but there's not a lot of info on Wyoming's end. Tons of info on Alaska's end but when you search this kind of stuff in Wyoming you have no idea what kind of class it it, if it qualifies for alaska yata yata yata. Very frustrating.

Like right now it says I can take an internet class. Sweet! But then I have to go to a "field day" for a blood trailing exercise and shooting proficiency. Well Wyoming offers a field day but no idea whether it's even for bowhunting, if it's part of NBEF which Alaska recognizes. But I want to be 100% legal in Alaska so if I have to travel to Torrington for that to happen then I guess I'll bite the bullet.
Trent Williams

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:38 AM »
Get ahold of me when you get your dates figured out Trent.  These are my stomping grounds.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Let us know the dates and we will see what we can do.
Don

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Class is the 22nd of February. Plan on fishing early Sunday morning and then just heading home. Not much fishing time. Trying to find a way out of heading all the way to Torrington to pay to learn stuff I already know and waste a weekend. But if I can't I'm surely gonna fish while i'm there!
Trent Williams

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Has anyone checked the N. Platte river below Guernsey Reservoir? If there is a few inches of ice, you can always nail a few eyes!

Offline Wyo Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Has anyone checked the N. Platte river below Guernsey Reservoir? If there is a few inches of ice, you can always nail a few eyes!

It's been a little while since I fished it, it is called Kelly Park, west side of town and river, drive north under railroad bridge.  There is another place south east of Torrington on the state line, I think the town was called Lyman, and the little pond/lake was Packard?  Back then it had Bow's & Large Mouth in it, but that was years ago.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:37 PM »
I will check it out wyo thanks!
Trent Williams

Offline jritten

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Yep, packers lake SE of Torrington. You have to over to Henry NE (at the state line) and head south a few miles towards Lyman (about half way) then come west on a dirt road back into WY.  It actually has some eyes in it these days.  Haven't been out there in a few years, so no idea how the fishing or ice is holding up...

Offline bjacks35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:23 AM »
was at hawk springs a couple weeks ago it was slow but was told the day before i went it was good

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:41 PM »
POK3s I hate to steer you away from going to Torrington but the WG&F poseted this on their FB page http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/WYWGFD/bulletins/a6d35b. No sure if this is what you need or if you already knew about it. But I thought I would let you know just in case.

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:44 PM »
was at hawk springs a couple weeks ago it was slow but was told the day before i went it was good

it's always good the day before you're there!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Already back from it. They started to list a few more but I figured heck with it I'm already signed up and so I'll just go. Saw the forecast and didn't do any fishing. I figured with the 50-60 mph winds across the state why bother. Got snowed in in Cheyenne Saturday night as I was going to try and make the trip home. Didn't happen. Ended up being a $400 weekend just to learn stuff I already knew. BUT, it's over now. March 1st they're offering one in Evanston but I'll be in the Fremont Derby and the weekend of March 8th is full also. So in reality I'm glad I got it done. Just wish it wasn't a 5 hour drive ;) .
Trent Williams

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.