New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: the ol lady.....  (Read 2138 times)

Offline JigginChenango

• IceShanty Rookie
the ol lady.....
« on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:15 AM »
I have been an avid hard water enthusiast for about 15 years. My wife and I hooked up about 5 years ago. She knew I was an avid out doors man. And it seems as most relationships go mine is putting my sports on the back seat. I guess what I'm asking is what do you folks do when the ol'lady gives you the rag about fishing?.... I'm at a loss!

Had plans to go... bought bait, set up gear till midnight, woke at 6am to go and wwIII started. Was only gonna stay out till 10:00. But no compromise. So now I'm on the dam couch!!!!!!!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: the ol lady.....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:24 AM »
Tell her you can't change a man once he's out of diapers!

Or, maybe ask her if there's something else bothering her and try to have a nice conversation with her so you can explain that as much as you love her fishing is a very important part of your life and if she wants to stay with you she needs to accept that.

Third option? Get up earlier and quieter.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline bandit1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:29 AM »
my wife loves it when I go fishing and duck hunting, her only complaint is "cant you take the dog fishing too?"
I'm goin where the water tastes like wine,,,,,,   

don't tell me this town aint got no heart.....ya just gotta poke around........

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Flowers and chocolates , then slip out quiet and quick...... ;)2

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:35 AM »
You made the mistake of staying home....  Now she will expect that from you every time she wants you to stay home..  ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:37 AM »
Told mine many moons ago, don't mess with my hunting and fishing. Everything else is negotiable. And I held my ground.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:39 AM »
Tell her to get her own hobby and leave you alone.  A man needs his time away from his crazy wife.   ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:40 AM »
Tell her to get her own hobby and leave you alone.  A man needs his time away from his crazy wife.   ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline JigginChenango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:46 AM »
I like the idea of earlier And quieter.... I've tried all of the above.  Its getting ridiculous.
 I've been hunting since I was twelve and badged a deer every year since but not this one. Hell I only was allowed out 5x.

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:47 AM »

We're all married to the same woman, they just look different !
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline bandit1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:52 AM »
 :-\  I know it sounds crazy and maybe I had a few too many last nite but  ever ask her to go with you? :-\
I'm goin where the water tastes like wine,,,,,,   

don't tell me this town aint got no heart.....ya just gotta poke around........

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:54 AM »
I had a wife like that, stressing the HAD. Found me a lady that loves to fish too.
If unsure of conditions on early Ice, always go with guys bigger than you. Let them go on first........

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:56 AM »
Talk to her tell her that fishing is a very important part of your life and go catch the night bite Should of never stayed home a man has to stand for something. My wife used to be the same way after 18 years I take a week vaca in February and a week in November. She knows from June till October she has me every weekend but after that all bets are off. Good luck

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2014, 07:02 AM »
I feel bad for some of you guys...  There's only been one time. I got up at 4am to go fishing and she was in the bathroom and she said you cant go, I'm going into labor....I told her you cant your due date isn't till tomorrow.....   @)  But that was 17 years ago next month.....    ;D ;D ;D 

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2014, 07:23 AM »
I feel bad for some of you guys...  There's only been one time. I got up at 4am to go fishing and she was in the bathroom and she said you cant go, I'm going into labor....I told her you cant your due date isn't till tomorrow.....   @)  But that was 17 years ago next month.....    ;D ;D ;D 

now that's good stuff right there   :tipup:
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline JigginChenango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2014, 07:32 AM »
She will fish open water no problem. But not on the ice. She watched from shore as I went under on thin ice early season the first year we hooked up. Was checking ice and made it out prolly 75 yards and went down all the way 15 foot of water..  scared her petty bad. Just enouther season for me.  Apparently I didn't give her enough notice I was going? Told her yestetday and had gear all over the kitchen till midnight.   Well there is always next time... I hope.

Offline jonny boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2014, 07:33 AM »
sometimes it's the way you ask.

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:03 AM »
  Just go fishing, If she truly does love ya. She will be there when you get home.  If she makes ya stay home, Cook her some fresh shiner's for supper and see if that work's.
Enjoy the pleasure of others pleasure

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:11 AM »
"Allowed" to hunt only 5X??? I understand the short notice thing, but if you are just sitting on a couch doing nothing you could be sitting on a bucket fishing just as well. Hunting and fishing is extremely important to me and I wouldn't allow a lady to stop me from doing it just to sit home on a couch. If it was important (work, funerals, weddings, maybe anniversary) I stay home, I do love my wife and we compromise, but she knows not to screw with my hunting and fishing time, probably because if I don't go out I turn into a caged animal. I think the best approach is the sit down and serious chat, and tell her just how important it is for you to get out .... cry if you have to, lol, just to get the point across. IF that doesn't work, be prepared to do that forever.

Offline beni

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:26 AM »
i love my wife and we had a compromise  dont complain about me huntin or fishin  or instead of me sittin on the couch with you I will be sitttin at the corner bar.   Boy I love the great outdoors    beni

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Show her 2 sets of papers...(1) your hunting and fishing license (2) divorce papers... and let her pick.......no matter which one she picks you still get to hunt and fish........this is a win/win situation !!!!!

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:39 AM »
What 'dacker said.  You've now set a precedent that anytime she whines and complains, you'll stay home.  The day's not over, go now.  I hate women like that.  Either take a stand now, or prepare to be miserable the rest of your life.
I love clipboard man

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:45 AM »
I read this on the internet the other day and it made me chuckle:

Marriage is like a deck of cards.  You start out with 2 hearts and a diamonds and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade.   ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Marriage is like a deck of cards.  You start out with 2 hearts and a diamonds and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade.   ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
My wife just got the biggest kick out of that.
Than she said "that can go both ways"....    ::) ::) ;D ;D

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I met my wife 17 years ago and been married for 15. I grew up in the outdoors hunting and fishing for food and the sport. She knew what was and is my passion and she will never take that away from me. I am lucky to have a woman cause she doesn't care much for it but yet let's me go when I want and spend what I need to. She has her hobbies and obviously I have mine. As long as she knows where I am going and when to expect me home safely is all she requires. Thank you Dear for letting me enjoy what I Love.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Valentines Day is coming up. Get her a dozen red tip-ups  ;D

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Don't chase 'em... replace 'em.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Been with my gf for 10 years in march. Lived together for the last 6. Gotta let them know early that fishing and hunting is non negotiable. My girls an animal lover and doesn't love the idea of hunting, but she loves me. I hangem in the shed and butcher them on the counter. She keeps her mouth shut. When she asks for something(not often or outrageous ever)she gets it, when she asks me to be there for something(again not often) im there. Other then that every Friday all year long she asks, where are you fishing this weekend who are you hunting with? Shes a keeper. Rings coming soon.

Offline wallperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2014, 02:23 PM »
I think a lot of it comes from the type of family your old ladies come from, my wife comes from a hunting/fishing family, she got up at 5am to make sure I had my coffee and some chow before I hit the ice.  She always sees me out the door, but don't think for a minute after fishing 4/5 weekends in a row that I don't owe her a nice dinner, and it had better not be fish lol.  We live on Oneida so it's a never ending season, most family is in the buffalo area so when the ice is good we have company in town to fish nearly every weekend.  It's a lifestyle I suppose so your significant other better be willing to participate

Offline ChucknMel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:07 PM »
I had a wife like that, stressing the HAD. Found me a lady that loves to fish too.

same here now my new wife hunts and fishes with me heck she even makes me go when i didnt even feel like going

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.