Author Topic: Advice on landing larger fish through the ice?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
Advice on landing larger fish through the ice?
« on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Ok, either I'm just having a run of bad luck losing the last three nice trout that I've hooked on some pretty slow fishing days, or I'm not doing something right. I'm not talking dink perch or small trout here, but how do you guys get your larger fish like 3lb or bigger fish through the ice...do you let them tire out before you get them headed up the hole or do you just try to crank them in as fast as possible and hoist them out of the water? Just curious what you guys do for your larger fish.

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Advice on landing larger fish through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I try to get them wore out a bit and then get their head up the hole then use a gaff. If I don't have the gaff I roll the sleeve up and get my hand down in the hole and scoop them out. My 2 cents

Offline trout_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Had to learn this quick on Henrys, key is hole size and getting their head started up the hole. Then 9 out of 10 times if you dont horse them they will work themselves up n out . Usually if you hoist bigger fish on light ice line it would break on you. I prefer 8 in holes for this reason as they are a little tighter and work better for this method then 10 inch holes will.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:12 PM »
After several trips of perch jerkin', I then focused on trout and after loosing a few at the hole, learned the "art" of relaxing, keep a snug line and let them just "rock and roll".  While that is going on, enjoy the ride/fight.   The first trip to the hole seems to excite trout and they go down to invite their friends to come along, ha. When they're played out, it's no less important to be alert.   A great aid is a scoop-chute.  Just a tapered trough, from the bottom of the ice, leading out away from the hole, just slide 'em out.   One other detail I've found handy is flaring/tapering the bottom of the hole.

Here is one way to do it.   Photo's and dimensions.     Good luck.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=215730.msg2864722#msg2864722

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:19 PM »
I made a small gaff out of a 1 inch in diameter piece of pvc. I used 4   1/0 hooks. I taped them about 1/2 inch apart and made a small gaff.

I put extra wraps of Gorilla tape on the end to keep in from slipping.

I landed over 10 trout with it over Christmas at Cascade. Works slick as a whistle.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:41 PM »
I've heard of using a very large treble with a screw through the hook eye.  A few fish were lost because, too many hooks in the ice hole. Two were cut off and the losses stopped.
I used a 2' length of hardwood dowel, 3/4" diameter.  A large hook that  will pass a quarter between the shank and point, was "let-in" to the dowel for a flush mount, a small round-head screw added, wire wrapped the shank to dowel, Gorilla glue coated, drilled a wrist strap mounting hole and inch from the other end.   Very handy and deadly.   Best used with the "scoop-chute" and a tapered hole.      ;)2 

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:05 PM »
My advice would b to avoid thrashing at the hole ( where most fish r lost) by tiring them out a bit more. If you think he is still feeling ornery let him make another run :)

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:08 PM »
You can buy a smaller treble hook gaf ready to go for under $10
BOWHUNTER68

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:43 PM »
I try to get them wore out a bit and then get their head up the hole [...] I roll the sleeve up and get my hand down in the hole and scoop them out. My 2 cents

x2

I have even reached past them down the hole and grabbed the back end.  Sounds wacky, doesn't it.  Just got my first gaff this year haven't had occasion to use it yet.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:54 PM »
You can buy a smaller treble hook gaf ready to go for under $10

It really doesn't matter if you rich. Just as long as you're happy and can afford anything you want.    ;)2

There are more than a few, on Iceshanty, that get an idea and build it.

It's not rocket surgery and it's caveman easy.     :whistle:

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:18 PM »
Not really a low price option but if you're into rod building these kits might be fun.

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Gaff-Building

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Not really a low price option but if you're into rod building these kits might be fun.

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Gaff-Building

Great link F_L .    ;D

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2014, 12:52 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. I actually have been considering a gaff but have never used one before...maybe it's time after all. I think between being more patient perhaps and using a gaff I should turn things around in my favor...

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:23 AM »
We have never lost a trout using that gaff I built. I like it because it is narrow and hooks are small but very sharp.

The key is to hold the gaff down in the hole as the fish is being brought up into the hole. As his head comes up slid the gaff over and right under the gill plate and lift.  Works perfectly.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:11 AM »
We have never lost a trout using that gaff I built. I like it because it is narrow and hooks are small but very sharp.

The key is to hold the gaff down in the hole as the fish is being brought up into the hole. As his head comes up slid the gaff over and right under the gill plate and lift.  Works perfectly.

That sounds like just the ticket I need and you have me inspired to build my own gaff as well. Thanks again!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:33 AM »
big trout are a challenge, because they usually have a reason for getting bigger than all the other fish in the lake. it involves broken line, broken hooks, and broken knots.

if you're fishing in an area that you know has big trout, check your line, hooks, and knots beforehand. i've lost more big trout to bad knots and line than i care to remember.

during the fight, tire the fish out, if it makes a run, let it. don't force it to come before it's ready. if you're handlining the fish in, apply tension, but DO NOT grab the line and hold it tight, you're asking for "the fish that got away".

once it's time to land the fish, have somebody nearby who's willing to take the dip if it throws the hook.
get the head up the hole, and you're halfway there.
get the head to the top of the hole, wait for the fish to stop moving for a moment then, depending on how much you trust your line and/or yourself, slide the fish up and to the side by pulling the line or make a grab for the gill plate.

if you go for the line, keep the fish's weight supported by the water and the ice. your biggest worry is the knot breaking or the hook coming free. slide the fish up and to the side, immediately transitioning from the water to the ice. don't try to support the fish with just the line, or you'll lose the fish.

if you reach for the gill plate, the fish will likely struggle. if it does, don't try to restrain the fish. get your hand out of the way, let it thrash and spin for a bit, then regroup and try again. use another hand to help guide the fish out of the hole if possible.

a gaff works, but it makes it impossible to release the fish afterwards. personally, i don't decide whether or not to keep a fish until AFTER i get it on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.