Author Topic: Bigredonice's ice fishing pictures (Smallmouth, crappy ice - pg16)  (Read 33364 times)

PIKEGUY

Re: Bigredonice's ice fishing pictures (panfish, Koi) page 11
« Reply #180 on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:21 PM »
just hope there is no cameras in there.....that would be an interesting one to explain :)

billybono
That's what I was thinking.  ;D

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #181 on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:26 PM »
Thats great,koi fishing.  My last job they had a huge in door pond with at least 30 koi in it.  There were 9 of them in there that where all of 10lbs+.  i always wanted to try and catch them to see what type of fight they would put up.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline jo-jos_jigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I take it you don't work for PETA....lol

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #183 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:20 PM »
Lance, I can't stop laughing.  That is some funny stuff!!!!!!  :D  :clap: :bow:

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #184 on: Feb 21, 2006, 11:12 PM »
I agree ROFL, the Koi fishing photos is darn funny.:roflmao:
That last koi a pretty good sized one. :woot: How did they fight, what other type of fish was the fight like?
Luckily the security guard did not come along at that time. Just show him your valid fishing license. :callcops: :whistle:
Nice looking pile of panfish to. :)

WW

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #185 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:55 AM »
Thanks for the nice words guys!  ;D I wasn't too worried about security, as my boss and I were the only ones in the building - everyone else had the day off.  There are cameras, but no one was watching ;)

I am really getting pumped for this weekend...now that Lake George has some ice, I am going to be going after lake trout.  I can't wait!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #186 on: Feb 22, 2006, 08:42 AM »
Man, you got a cool boss ;D ;D

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #187 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:15 PM »
Red that is friggin awesome :roflmao: What jigs were you using? I'm gonna try that on grandma's pond down south this summer! ;D ;D

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

billybono

« Reply #188 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:34 PM »
i always wanted to do that with my mothers monster paco's.....but she would kick my ass

billybono

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #189 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Just Hilarious :thumbsup:

I hear that Pet Smart also has decent goldfish fishing after hours.  ;D

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #190 on: Feb 23, 2006, 01:18 PM »
I thought i had seen it all!!   I guess not.   :D  Good thing you didn't gut hook one of those koi. 

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #191 on: Feb 23, 2006, 01:28 PM »
way too funny!  nice BROI   :clap:
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #192 on: Feb 25, 2006, 07:33 AM »
nice gold fish lol
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Feb 25, 2006, 07:38 AM »
just hope there is no cameras in there.....that would be an interesting one to explain :)

billybono

;D
Andrew

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Bigredonice's ice fishing pictures (saturday)
« Reply #194 on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:33 PM »
Wow.  What a weekend of fishing that was. Fishingking and I started out on Saturday, and really got into the crappies.  It actually was kind of slow to start with, but as as soon as the pressure started dropping as the storm moved in, the fish turned ON!  It was numbers of slab crappies like I have NEVER caught through the ice before. I ended up releasing 10 crappies between 12" and 13 1/4" and keeping 10 9"-11" eater crappies.  The crappies were SUICIDAL, coming 5 feet off the bottom and slamming big jigs on the run.  They were so aggressive I didn't even need to tip my jig with anything...not even plastic.  Amazing.

First fish of the morning

another slab

we were catching smaller legal ones too, so we let all the big females go.

solid fish

two FAT slabs about go back

1/4" too big - lucky crappie! :D

just before the hard snow hit, 2 more about to be freed.  It was snowing so hard at one point that the visibility was less than a few hundred yards :o

hard to let those big FAT fillets swim away ;D

It was tough to top a morning like that, so we decided to move around and do some more exploring on the lake.   We checked out some different weedbeds and rockpiles, and on one Fishingking spotted some perch moving through, so we set up camp, and jigged for about an hour.   Well...I jigged...fishingking just relaxed and shot the bull - apparently he's already caught enough fat perch this year. :D  I jigged away and pulled up some sweet fish.

I caught 2 smallies, here's the larger of the two.

Also got into the perch a bit, including one big fat 13" tanker.  After that, we checked out another area for some walleyes, and after a bit of investigating settled on a nice irregular weededge with scattered rocks.  Just a few minutes into the evening, I wasn't paying close attention to the fish finder, I look over, and there is this big red mark under my jig.  Hmmm.  Lift up on the rod and FISH ON!!  It was one hell of a fight on 4lb test, but the dang St. Croix UL handled the fish well, and after a good struggle, I grabbed the 23" MALE walleye.  My biggest eye through the ice yet.

The ride back on the quad was interesting.  It was completely dark, but the winds had started to come up really heavily, and the I actually couldn't see where I was going from the snow blowing around.  Good thing I had the 4 mile trip back to truck plotted out on the GPS :D

The meathunter shot ;D  What a day, uh?

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
WOW - sounds you you had a HECK of a weekend on the ice!!! Crappies hitting plain jigs???  W-O-W!!!!!  Musta been a great time indeed.  Ended up w/ a nice bag and a nice eye, and a male to boot?  Not often ya get a male eye that big, at least in my experiences... Awesome shots!!  I'm still jealous of you "New Yawka's"  ;D ;D ;D  You guys just slay em out there, and appear to have just a TON of fun doing so!!!  Is that by chance an Abu reel???

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
WOW - sounds you you had a HECK of a weekend on the ice!!! Crappies hitting plain jigs???  W-O-W!!!!!  Musta been a great time indeed.  Ended up w/ a nice bag and a nice eye, and a male to boot?  Not often ya get a male eye that big, at least in my experiences... Awesome shots!!  I'm still jealous of you "New Yawka's"  ;D ;D ;D  You guys just slay em out there, and appear to have just a TON of fun doing so!!!  Is that by chance an Abu reel???

Thanks WF, we did have a BLAST! The reel is actually a Silstar tgf-20.  Its a cheap $15 dollar reel, but it has instant anti-reverse and a very smooth drag, I've been running two on my UL set ups this year, and they have yet to fail me.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Bigredonice's ice fishing pictures
« Reply #197 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:03 PM »
It was going to be really hard to top Saturdays action, but with all the fillets that Fishingking and I ended up with, we knew we weren't going to keep anything more Sunday.  Lonewolf came up to join us - the plan was to go to Lake George, but with the hard winds predicted, I wasn't too interested in going out on very thin ice way out in the lake, so instead we opted for a more protected body of water, and it really paid off.  I caught more big gills and crappies than I can ever remember catching in one day before.  It was just astounding.  The crappies were up to 13" and the gills were up to 9.5 inches, but had big ol' shoulders.

We started in an deep area with lots of shallow cover nearby, and the fish were STACKED.  Every single hole had numerous fish suspended on the vex.  I ended up working over 2 holes for the morning, and the entire time there was multiple fish on the flasher that were just gobbling my jigs up like candy.  It was great relaxing the the shanty without a jacket on, with snow piled around the edges, the heater going, and catching fish hand over fist.

Gotta love catching catching a big ol' "bull" gill as soon as the jig gets a few feet under the ice.

The gills were plentiful, and I took some pictures of a few of the bigger ones.

The fish were so aggressive that at points in the day, they would starting moving up on the jig once it got just a few feet under the ice.  If you tried to drop it past them, they would either suck it in on the fall, or actually chase it DOWN...something I never EVER see suspended fish do.  But they did.

It wasn't just gills though, About 1/3 of my catch was crappies...nice ones too. Slabs.

Lonewolf finally pried me out of my heated shanty to shanty to check out his lx-5 and Tica reels (great units BTW), and got a pic of him with a nice crappie

I ended the day in style, right after catching my biggest gill on the day.

It was a weekend I don't think any of us will soon forget.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eehh... I checked in too early eh!  Missed the Sunday's results!! LOL  More good fortune passed your groups way, or, was it skill??  :D  Those last few pics of gills and crappies really have some nice color!!!  Your reel looked a lot like one of my Abu's, that's why I asked.  Hey - doesn't matter if it's cheap, if it does the trick (and it looks like it did!!!) - what the heck right!!!  ;D  Congrats once again ;)

camo_fish

very nice, those are some great pictures and some awesome fish, too.  ;)  ;D
Glad to see that LW could hook up with ya and fishingking, looks like you guys had one heck of a weekend of endless fish.  :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Very nice Red!  I enjoyed your post and your pics.  Days like that are what icefishing for panfish is all about!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
 Don't ya just love days like that! It just doesn't get much better! I'll be getting out again tomorrow, so I hope the Good Lord Blesses me, with a day like that!!  ;D
TEAM  PA.

PIKEGUY

Ah....sweet weekend Red! You got more fishing done in one day than I did all weekend.(way more productive too) nicely done ;D
Was that the only walleye you guys got?

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
What a weekend!!   :o

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
Looks like an awesome weekend.. You guys are on a role.. :bow:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Keep on Jigging them fish!!!! Hope you make it to the King this weekend for some monster perch!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
What a great weekend you guys had.  Hopefully we will get into some lakers this weekend!!!!!!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
Looks like you've been getting some worthwhile ice time in :thumbsup: Kudos for putting back the spawners.

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Peteamus

• IceShanty Rookie
punney walleye dud i catch that size for bait when u catch i nice 15 lber let me know :tipup: ;D

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like you guys had one hell of a weekend :) Oh wait I was there  ;D
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.