The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: nils usa hand auger 8 inch  (Read 976 times)

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
nils usa hand auger 8 inch
« on: Jan 29, 2014, 05:32 PM »
WOrked like a champ for 2 seasons went out today and it could not butter?!.

I would not think it would need to be sharpened so soon but that is all I can think of. I'm going to web search the best way to do that tonight...

Offline sori___

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: nils usa hand auger 8 inch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:06 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=199166.0

Sometimes all it takes is some sandy ice like near where a river flows in to dull up a blade in a quick hurry! Great augers though

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:17 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=199166.0

Sometimes all it takes is some sandy ice like near where a river flows in to dull up a blade in a quick hurry! Great augers though

GUILTY as charged. Hit the sand on my last trip last winter on my last hole and have not used it since!!!

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:38 PM »
I sent my nils head to Frank for sharpening. $20 to sharpen and you pay postage both ways. He did a good job. I saw on the NH page that somebody in Mass does Nils heads as well.

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:19 AM »
I bought a brand new 8" strikemaster auger probably 3 years ago, back when I use to fish the sandbar alot.  I think the ice there tends to be dirty.  it worked great for the first month or so, but then it was having a hard time cutting, till it just wouldn't anymore, it would just spin.  I thought the angle of my blades were off, or something else was screwed up b/c hey its brand new it can't be the blades, they still have to be sharp.  So I asked on here and a bunch of people said sounds like dull blades so I just bought new blades to see if thats what it was.  YUP! Worked like a charm after that.  You'd be surprised how dull your blades will get just cutting dirty ice.

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:25 AM »
I bought a brand new 8" strikemaster auger probably 3 years ago, back when I use to fish the sandbar alot.  I think the ice there tends to be dirty.  it worked great for the first month or so, but then it was having a hard time cutting, till it just wouldn't anymore, it would just spin.  I thought the angle of my blades were off, or something else was screwed up b/c hey its brand new it can't be the blades, they still have to be sharp.  So I asked on here and a bunch of people said sounds like dull blades so I just bought new blades to see if thats what it was.  YUP! Worked like a charm after that.  You'd be surprised how dull your blades will get just cutting dirty ice.

This sounds like my problem for sure, I know I hit some serious dirt last February and I hadn't pulled out my cheap eskimo auger because of the same scenario you just mentioned it was new and worked great till around the time I bottomed out... I'm going to send them in and see what happens. This guys is more local for us,

Small Engine Repair
180 Hosmer Rd.
Ashby, MA 01431
(978)386-7707

Offline atarnacki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:30 PM »
One of the best augers out there, if not the best

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:36 PM »
One of the best augers out there, if not the best

Is the best.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:36 PM »

So the Nile guy did an amazing job on the auger. Seymour lake skunked me though! The auger

works even better than new!

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:54 PM »
yep, put a chip in my 6 inch last time out, cut like horse s@@@ today, not happy, doesn't take any more than a chip to screw up a nils, still the bomb.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.