Author Topic: advice on erie  (Read 1854 times)

Offline jw101033

• IceShanty Rookie
advice on erie
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Making a long drive this weekend to fish the big lake! Never been out there before.. where do you guys reccomend goinng out from? And what bait shop is a good place to get bait? Heard they were getting them out near rattle and green but not sure. Thanks

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
Re: advice on erie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:52 PM »
I have tried and tried to get advise.  But ther are so many report's.  And obviously Erie is unpredictable.  So I would say go and watch and ask to follow some one who knows what they are doing.  And if u don't find that person  don't go .

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:10 PM »
You do know Rattlesnake and Green Island are 5-6 miles from the State Park right? If you've never been on Lake Erie ice before you might want to consider using a guide. The trip to Green will be quite a trip itself since the big blow a couple of days ago has changed the ice considerably. I'm not saying you couldn't make it but Lake Erie is the big leagues and that is a run I wouldn't want an Erie rookie to try. If you do go from the S.P.follow someone who has gone out in the last couple of days and go west before you head north and stay away from the cliffs.Do not access near Mouse Island either, bad ice and current. A quad went in today there.
Rickards at 53&163 has bait as does Herbs a little further north on 53 on the right.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:11 AM »
You do know Rattlesnake and Green Island are 5-6 miles from the State Park right? If you've never been on Lake Erie ice before you might want to consider using a guide. The trip to Green will be quite a trip itself since the big blow a couple of days ago has changed the ice considerably. I'm not saying you couldn't make it but Lake Erie is the big leagues and that is a run I wouldn't want an Erie rookie to try. If you do go from the S.P.follow someone who has gone out in the last couple of days and go west before you head north and stay away from the cliffs.Do not access near Mouse Island either, bad ice and current. A quad went in today there.
Rickards at 53&163 has bait as does Herbs a little further north on 53 on the right.

Best advice you could give someone. Stop being cheap and hire a guide. What is it worth for your life and for your family?? It is the big leagues and with this cold weather and reports on the net, someone is going to get bit in the arse doing these trips for the first time never being on the lake before. I have been with guys who can't even tell which island is which. Have you ever been on the lake in a big white squall?? Trying to get back in a making the wrong move could put you in the drink...for good.
Not saying to not enjoy the resource we have. Just saying be smart.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Someone mentioned a icebreaker was coming in around the islands in a few days, don't know if its rumor or not

Offline jw101033

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Ill be fine, just wonderedd where you recomend to go out from? If i int think i could hanndle it i wouldnt go. And a gps with you would help get baack in whiteout conditions.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:22 AM »
It's hairy to say the least 5 mile plus by quad, some time big pressure cracks and they use boards to go over open water, wrong winds and trouble.I've never done but have buddies that go. If I went I get a guide that goes by floatplane. Same reasons I never go to Quinte. Erie eyes are easy and safe to get ALL SUMMER. Good luck if you go.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:53 AM »
I fish erie only in the winter,and only on the ice..Its not about getting eyes,it's about ice fishin...As for my advice,just get bait,Go to the s.p. walk or ride north west about a mile drill a hole and have fun..If you really want to do it up right just give bud gehring or any of the other guides a call..Fly out for 80 bucks,pay the guide and have a blast...Either way your good...

Offline jw101033

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Gdccsc thanks! Im not to worried about it. Mainly doing it for fun and to learn something. Im an avid ice angle just never on lake erie ye

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Dont buy into all the guide hype . There will be hundreds if not thousands of guys out this weekend . Strike up a chat in the parking lot and follow a group out . Just dont crowd them and give them their space . Lake Erie ice guys are the friendliest fisherman there are . Everyone was new at some point and learned from others . Catawba and Magee Marsh will be filled to the max this weekend , so get there early to get a parking spot .

Dale

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:02 PM »
To suggest a guide to someone that has never been on erie in the winter,is not HYPE,it's just sound advice...

Offline jw101033

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Thanks dale. Thats what i figured! If i get there at 6 am will be good

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Can understand a guide first ice or late ice yes . At this point with so many going out , talk to and watch people and you can be very safe . Guides get into trouble like anyone else on Erie . Yes I know that for a fact as in 2011 I helped one get out and helped his customers to shore. Erie is what it is a does not play favorites with anyone . Just common sense and awareness will prevail most times . If you wanna be a trail blazer , yes your chances go up . Play it safe and follow the pack on the trails and all will be good .  600am may get a spot at Catawba MAYBE .  In 11 500 -530 am the lot was filled up .

Dale

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Ill be fine, just wonderedd where you recomend to go out from? If i int think i could hanndle it i wouldnt go. And a gps with you would help get baack in whiteout conditions.

Sorry dude that's the attitude that gets ya in trouble. You should never go out on Erie summer or winter with just the knowledge of a GPS. This has bit numerous people over the years. Ever hear of a map and compass or an electronics malfunction? Or learning the area in the summer. You don't even know where to leave from??? Cmon man!!
Not saying don't go and not trying to be tough with you but sayin I will be fine I got a GPS is not the best theory on the lake.
I am just amazed at the attitude of follow someone out who knows and you will be fine! That's bs to me. Learn it yourself and ask questions and get your Intel.
No doubt guys are helpful but just showing up and hoping for the best is irresponsible as well.

Offline jw101033

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:43 PM »
I didnt mean it like that im just going to follow the croud and plaay it safe. Yes i know where to go out from just int know what plaace would be recomended.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.