Author Topic: How difficult to pull by hand flip-over?  (Read 8072 times)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
How difficult to pull by hand flip-over?
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:30 PM »
I bought a sportsmax flip-n-fish earlier this season.  So far I like it.  It can be a bit cramped @ times.  I plan to use it mostly when I run and gun.

But I was thinking of also investing in a bigger more durable 1 man flip over.

Possibly a clam or otter.  I realy like the Clam Legend and Otter 1 man xt1200.  But they weigh 70-85lbs!

Without making a smitty sled.  How difficult is it to pull this out by hand when loaded with gear + auger?

Id like something bigger to pull by hand but don't want to kill myself.  Remember this is without a smitty sled.

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How difficult to pull by hand flip-over?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Make a smitty sled. Then you can pull thing that are heavy and don't have to worry about breaking you back trying to get the your spot.

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:36 PM »
It's going to be a tough pull through any snow....bare ice no problem.  Your going to be over 100 lbs loaded and them sleds are like pulling a dead horse through snow.  If I were you get what you need and build a smitty sled.  After two years dragging mine I just made a smitty sled last weekend went out both days on 6-8" snow and man I wished I built this sooner.  80% drag reduction at least!!! don't count out the smitty.
BAIT (√) BEER (√) SHANTY (√) FISH (?) STORY (√)

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Depends on how much snow and slush there is. It can be a real pain sometimes that's for sure. If you have a few inches of snow or non at all it's pretty easy going. I know you said without a smitty sled being used but with the bigger flip overs and deeper snow it is totally worth making one. They will cut down your work about 75 percent.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Yes,  agreed it will be a bugger.  The snow really makes it hard and I don't use my two man tent anymore unless I can pull it with the atv.  I do use a one man frabill and try to travel as lite as I can but it can be a bugger at times with the snow.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:50 PM »
I have an Otter Cabin and with any amount of snow on the ice it is a bear to say the least.

WS

Offline realicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:52 PM »
I have an otter lodge with hyfax. It's isn't bad, but I wouldn't want it behind me all day.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:54 PM »
We do it all time here in pa. We are not allowed vehicle on the ice. We have sleds loaded and 6-7 inches of snow to pull through and it is a bugger! But we also love to ice fish.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Make sure that you coat the bottom With Rain-x. And it will slide across snow without picking
Up snow 
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:05 PM »
by hand - So basically what I'm hearing is pulling out a flipover with gear and auger on ice isn't to bad.
by hand- But pulling a flipr over auger and gear on snow can be a pain in the %$@#$%@

So if I'm planning to pull my stuff out by hand I pretty much just want to use my flip-n-fish with gear which is plenty light.

Well now I'm leaning towards buying a solid heavy big 1 man flip over and just but the bullet and build a solid smitty sled.

But the last smitty sled I bought was kinda  pain and didn't pull that easy.  Granted I think I used downhill skis and cut them to fit in car.

Is it best to use cross country skis @ full size and not cut them...?

How many hear use a smitty sled when pulling their 1 man or 2 man flip over?
What flip over are you using?  And what does everything weigh?
I ask because if I do build a smitty sled I might as well as look @ getting an otter which is 80+ lbs.  Now an 80 lb flipover with gear ( another 40 lbs on the heavy side ) pulling on a smittyy sled is gonna weigh well over 130 lbs.  How hard would that be pulling on a smitty sled?

Offline gotbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the colder the better
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:11 PM »

Make a smitty sled-- you'll use for a lot more than just your flip over. I put everything on mine and you can't make it any easier to pull. smitty sled

:tipup:
"it really doesn't get any better than this"

"when hell freezes over--I'll fish that to"

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Mount down hill skis on your flip over , it makes all the difference .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:27 PM »
I pulled my otter lodge by hand all over last year; pulled like a dream on glare ice; effortlessly. Little extra work when there is some snow down though. I put mine on a smitty and pulled much easier. I bought a 4 wheeler this year, so I have been using it, cause I can cover bigger lakes way quicker. I have a  clam scout too, but I never used it last year after buying my lodge. The lodge with the bench is a perfecdt solo setup, but yet plenty of room for a guest. Get an otter lodge; u wont be sorry.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I bought a sportsmax flip-n-fish earlier this season.  So far I like it.  It can be a bit cramped @ times.  I plan to use it mostly when I run and gun.

Possibly a clam or otter.  I realy like the Clam Legend and Otter 1 man xt1200.  But they weigh 70-85lbs!

Without making a smitty sled.  How difficult is it to pull this out by hand when loaded with gear + auger?

Id like something bigger to pull by hand but don't want to kill myself.  Remember this is without a smitty sled.

Mine pulls easier with out the smitty under it.....Why,no idea...E skimo one man unit with auger sitting on it as well,,,Power auger....easy pull
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline vans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I just built a smitty sled for my Shappel FX150,  the flip weighs around 70#, then add gear, I have to admit that little sled is great, I used an old set of downhill ski's I had, left them full length- the ski's also double as a ramp to slide flip into back of truck

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Agreed - smitty sled
I have a frabil predator.  Only way I can pull it in snow is with a quad. Loaded its way over a 100 lbs    Sheet ice - no problem    Building a smitty   If we ever get snow in sw Iowa. Lots of ice this year but NO snow    Makes easy pulling   

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Speaking from my experience last weekend: We fish outta the otter lodge, and that is a bigger sled. We walked a mile on glare ice and fished all day through the snow and the walk back sucked. It took both of us to move the darn thing and about triple the time. I like the idea of the smitty sled and maybe getting a hub style like the eskimo or clam. That would keep a little weight down and still able to haul the auger and other necessities
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:28 PM »
A big part of it is how big you are. I'm 6' 275 and I don't have a problem pulling my Bayrunner loaded with gear (probably 150 pounds) through the snow for a half mile out to my favorite spot... If I were 5'3" 130 I'd be telling a different story...
Like mentioned above... Rain X or cooking spray on the bottom will help it slide on the snow easier.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Well I aint no spring chicken but I am not Paul Bunyons brother either. Next time we do it I am using the rain-x maybe we will have a better experience
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline wingnut19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:42 PM »
I have a clam nanook and with gear I would say it weighs at least 125# and I would never dream of pulling it without a smitty. I pulled it for one year without when I first got and thought I was gonna die in the snow

Offline realicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:58 PM »
I pulled my otter lodge by hand all over last year; pulled like a dream on glare ice; effortlessly. Little extra work when there is some snow down though. I put mine on a smitty and pulled much easier. I bought a 4 wheeler this year, so I have been using it, cause I can cover bigger lakes way quicker. I have a  clam scout too, but I never used it last year after buying my lodge. The lodge with the bench is a perfecdt solo setup, but yet plenty of room for a guest. Get an otter lodge; u wont be sorry.

I would have to agree I have an otter lodge full thermal. It's a bit tougher to pull but having all the extra room to myself is nice, it's also nice to be able to stand up and have everything inside with you. I picked up a big buddy cheap on sale at runnings and I was in a Tshirt and sweat pants fishing when it was -15 outside. Will never go without thermal again. Otters are spendy but well worth it if you ask me.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:08 AM »
Don't let anyone fool you a big flip over is heavy to pull in the snow loaded with gear. I don't care how big or strong they are or TYPE they are it sucks. I'm 6'4 270 and it sucked pulling my old frabill. I got it done but it is work.

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:45 AM »

Where did you find that flip n fish?, I would buy that from you in a heartbeat.

Offline ToothTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2014, 01:11 AM »
I built a smitty for my shappell fx200 tjis year. Pulled it for a year or two without and what a difference.
Pulling threw snow and snow berms use to be a pain. If i to ballpark it i would say im pulling around 140#
Maybe 150# with of gear and it feels like 70#. Fx, auger, heater, 2 buckets loaded with gear , bsckpack with
All gopro stuff and a fold up chair or two maybe some more lol and pulls pretty easy.

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:30 AM »
I have a Frabill Recon and I cannot speak to pulling with a smitty sled although I will likely build one very soon. I have been pulling mine this year and it couldn't be easier on glare ice. With deeper snow, it can be a bit of a challenge. If I go out with just my folding chair, bucket w/rods and tip ups, buddy heater, Lowrance X67c and a Mora auger it is still pretty easy to pull by hand through snow. Once I ditch the Mora and load the gas auger that changes things. Typically, I only fish areas that I don't need to pull it a country mile so it is not an issue. If I needed to pull a long way with the gas auger, I would definitely build a smitty a lot quicker!

Offline PaperMouthPersuer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Once you get a few inches of snow it makes it difficult.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Even a one man flip can a pain with deep snow,I use a small 2000 suitcase type shanty in deep snow or long pull,two men can fish real nice.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:54 AM »
The purpose of the Smitty sled is to raise the cargo out of the snow so it won't  push snow in front of it.  The less snow you have to move = the less work you have to do. Think of the old one horse sleigh.  It had narrow runners and the box was up high.  Only a small amount of snow was displaced by the runners and it was very easy for the horse to pull.  The polyethylene that the base tubs are made of is plenty slippery, but unless the snow is hard packed they are a pregnant dog to pull because even packing snow down is work.

Offline toddhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Clam Kenai weighs about 50# alone. Great pull if smooth ice, but my new Smitty is the only way to go on snow. For the time and money invested, the return is remarkable. Make it to your specs and you won't regret it.

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:16 AM »
I just got an Otter xt1200 cottage this season and put the hyfax kit on it. It pulls easier than my Clam Kenai did. Hardest part is putting back into my jeep. Thing is built like a tank and it is heavy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.