Author Topic: Ice fishing considered exersize  (Read 832 times)

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice fishing considered exersize
« on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:06 AM »
I tell my wife I'm getting my exersize when I go fishing...am I lying?  As I trugged my #500 lb sled 500,000 yards around the ice in 5' of snow up hill both ways the other day...I thought about it and came to the conclusion....I am in great shape and fishing is exersize  ;D...so Mrs.Slammin...My pledge for the new year is to be in the best shape ever...and keep ice fishing more and more.  Stay thirty my friends and get your exersize!!  Also, find a comfortable chain to sit and jig with, a warm shanty, snowmachine, definitly a good power auger, and bring your young kid to go run them flags...you never want to over do it ::) ::) ::)
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing considered exersize
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:09 AM »
we fished a tournament for 6 hours in 20-35mph winds.  i've not been that sore in a while and i work out 4 times a week. 

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I agree, the Brainerd Tourney wiped me out and I'm in good shape.  Walking miles in 10 lb boots and a 20 lb suit isn't easy in the cold and snow

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Serious heavy work especially with manual auger and walking around ..  Good work out and potentially  dangerous if you are a Desk jockey the rest of the year ..    I tried the Bring a Boy part 6'4" 180 I still punch faster then Him well i am 235 Lb ..

Clearing Up Bye Bye I can see the end of my driveway going to work out now ....  Here Pikey Pikey I bring a camera Today see what I see..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Get a leg/core and cardio workout dragging the sled and running to tip ups.... get an arm workout drilling holes....  covers all the areas if you ask me

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Let's see....

Hauling gear out onto th epond/lake would be an aerobic exercise.
If you drill by hand, and are drilling more than 6 holes through more than 10" of ice, you;ve just had a serious upper body workout.
If you have to attend to your traps more than 10 times (for each person) that might be a lower body workout, like crunches or squats?
Then you finish it all off with an aerobic workout dragging your gear back to your vehicle.
You get bonus points for the "dead-lifting" of your sled into the back of your vehicle!

So all in all I say that ice fishing can be a workout no matter where you go.

OH, and I almost forgot.
Walking on clean ice with or without cleats is a serious workout for your legs and back!

See, we all get a little exercise when we fish, contrary to what the women-folk think!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:39 AM »
You want some real exercise come up here and pull on my Eskimo Auger  (Mod # 3hp 140 pull ). Of course that might get you bent out of shape like me.
Just kidding.
Mikey.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Well let’s see,
Drive out to  shanty,
Open door to shanty,
Close door to shanty,
Sit down in chair and drop line down into the water thru hole previously cleared by son-in-law,
Pull up 10# Walleye,
Repeat,
Repeat again,
Repeat again,

Ya lots of workout,  except,  if you can’t get the last four line items to materialize. ::) ::)
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:15 AM »
I don't think you can beat dragging a brick of a shanty with a bucket full of bait and a super heavy power auger out by hand for two  miles in 5 inches of snow to get to the laker waters...I just about died.

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:16 AM »
ya its a work out. Arms get tired drilling through 2 feet of ice with a hand auger.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:21 AM »
I was walking around yesterday in knee deep snow, I consider that a lot of exercise.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I just had a nuclear stress test,got on tread mill and started walkin,told nurse if she wanted to see my heart rate go up add a shanty,auger,bait bucket, another sled tipups etc etc etc,plus 6 inches of snow and 30 mph winds.any how passed stress but had to stop 3 times draggin my stuff ouy Saturday.yes its excersizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzze.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Don't forget about the mental part of the game as well...... :-\

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2014, 12:33 PM »
The older you get the more exercise it will feel like.

WS

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Most days on the ice I'll drop 4 to 6 lbs during the day. I walk and cover a lot of ice dropping holes. It's exercise for sure.

Just don't ask her if you look fat in your ice suit :-\

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:22 PM »
I'd consider it exercise for sure, but I eat and drink so well that it offsets it!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:25 PM »
We sprint to every flag!!!  :flex:

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:33 PM »
shooooot! exercise....hell yes! figure even if your just walking in 8 inches of snow with boots on.....but dragging a sled and gear too! My wife is a runner, i told her to come out and pull (run) my shanty to me area for me. lmao  She declined...i said it will make you stronger ....well i tried!   So, now i'm pushing for a quad or snowmobile

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:36 PM »
I work my left arm considerably more than my right.  Cranking in fish with my reel is a workout.  To compensate, I lift 12 oz cans with my right arm.  Each time I lift, the weight drops down.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Good to hear that this is such a good work out...know I gotta convince her that river drifting is just as hard.  I have told her, my ice fishing is for my health and she should encourage the all day event...thanks for varifying..you guys are the truth!!

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2014, 02:22 PM »
just entered it into fitday.com walking downhill is 156 calories per hour, ice fishing is 78 calories per hour, yeah right ::)

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:38 PM »
let me see, arm curls, bending up an down, jumping out of my chair, drilling holes, ill say its excercise lol

Offline cccc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:09 PM »
I often find myself very out of shape at the beginning of the ice season, and trekking just a kilometre with a sled in tow requires lots of breaks. Nearing the end of the season though, 3.5k's are not a big deal at all!

Drilling holes manually is a very good shoulder excercise, walking is a good cardio and leg workout, and working a sweat while pulling your sled can't be a bad thing.
To be honest though, it still doesn't compare to a good workout regime at the gym. You'll find yourself drilling holes quicker, needing less breaks, and just better performing in general.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:29 PM »
It is most definately a workout, the only problem I see is for us all to be healthier we need to be "Working out" on the ice maybe a little more....  ;D

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Agreed! Pulling a heavy sled in head winds and snow drifts a mike out into a lake is EXCELLENT exercise...until the snacks get broken out!  ;D

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Planet Fitness...NOT! We don't have the same exercise equipment as they do. We have augers, not Weights, we have Beer Cans, not dumb bells, We walk, ride our sleds or quads, We jig or run to our tip ups.....Who said that this is not a Full Cardio Work up. I'm tired just thinking about the next fishing trip with the guys. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Get a leg/core and cardio workout dragging the sled and running to tip ups.... get an arm workout drilling holes....  covers all the areas if you ask me
and a good Pilates workout sitting on the edge of bucket squatting over a whole jigging  arm up and down constantly

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.