Author Topic: frozen thrittle cable  (Read 1365 times)

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
frozen thrittle cable
« on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:28 PM »
have a suzuki, never had a problem ,but now after being out 2 wks ago in rain, my cable to throttle is frozen. i brought inside it freed up but then after bringing out it froze inside again, must have gotten water in then from setting outside it froze. not sure what i can do, its insied garage now but im afraid its going to freeze tomorrow when i take it out. How can i get water out of cale, or just hope it dries out. Any ideas

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: frozen thrittle cable
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Remove cable.  Blow out water with compressed air.   Spray water disbursant # 40 in upper end until it comes out the bottom end. Sling around to remove excess WD 40. Reinstall cable.    ;)2

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:13 PM »
I have heard of guys using heet the stuff for a cars gas tank they used a needle and squirt a bunch in to the cable. Or do it the right way and take the cable off bring it inside and put it on the heat vent to dry out.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:45 PM »
if taking cable off was easy i would have done it and put new one on. But where it is inside throttle it is very, i mean vety hard to get at. I will try putting stuff down cable again, but did that and still froze up. You see, both ends have the fixtures on them so cant really take it apart.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:47 PM »
is this a common problem ? i never had it happen, but after the rain we had , i was on lake in it, then cold so fast, i can see why it would happen.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Yup, rain is bad juju.  Nice to carry some sort of cover. The kind that won't melt, ha.   Good luck. ;)2

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:09 AM »
Its a throttle cable it really isnt thay difficult to remove. But aye to each there own just would hate to see ya have the throttle stick on ya it is no fun when that happens. 

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:24 AM »
obviously you never worked on a suzuki, the cable is all enclosed, the end goes into carb, sealed unit. thanks anyway. If it was easy it would have been done, actually i unfroze it several times, but whenever its out in cold again it freezes up. cannot get water from inside cable jacket

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Try one of these:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/946/732/Champions-Choice-Cable-Luber

Use that to force lube down the cable, and drive the water out. You will need to un-hook both ends of the cable, but at least you won't have to completely remove it from the bike. It may not be easy to un-hook, but it's what needs to be done to fix the problem properly.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:03 AM »
all set , was able to drain water out and think im good now, no frozen cable after out all night, ordered new one too.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Remove cable.  Blow out water with compressed air.   Spray water disbursant # 40 in upper end until it comes out the bottom end. Sling around to remove excess WD 40. Reinstall cable.    ;)2

And check it for holes, cracks, etc. Seal them with silicone. Place silicone around each end to keep water out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.