Author Topic: ice auger drill adapter  (Read 1849 times)

Offline nofishnoluck

• IceShanty Rookie
ice auger drill adapter
« on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:01 PM »
has anyone every used one of these adapters? i have watched a few videos on youtube about using the cordless drill with the hand auger, i was wondering whats the ups and downs and if anyone has any opinions on using this method, i know there is a good chance the drill could let go of the auger and drop in the lake, so i was wondering also if anyone has brain stormed and idea to keep the auger from dropping through the ice if the drill was to let go of the bit?

Offline nofishnoluck

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice auger drill adapter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:37 PM »
gunna try it out today will let you guys know how it turns out, if anyone's out of dog lake tommorow i will be in the rapala 2 person black and grey tent eather off gilmore point or the beach feel free to stop by.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Dollar store cake pan ...dril a hole in the center big enough to fit over the collar of the drill unit...add your drill adapter and wing nut ..no swoosh down the hole .....you can also add garden hose 'O" rings to keep it from bouncing on the flutes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline nofishnoluck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:38 PM »
just thought i would update..... i took it out to dog lake...... my drill was not powerful enough to cut ice :(so had to hand crank it

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:27 PM »
i got about 15 holes through 16" ice with my makita li-ion and a 6" mora.

Offline nofishnoluck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:01 PM »
i was using a 18v black and decker apparently it did not have the power required to cut an 8 inch hole

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:35 PM »
You need a drill with good torque for this to work. I use a Milwaukee M18 drill with the Nils 6" and get 20-30 6" holes through one foot of ice per battery. Regardless of the drill keep the batteries warm in your pockets or shanty. Most drills should be used on the LOW setting for max torque unless it is a very powerful drill (some 18v, 21V etc.), then you can drill in high speed with enough torque. After drilling my holes I start the auger into the ice to hold it, remove the battery from the drill and place a water proof bag (doubles as my glove etc bag) over the drill. So far with this setup all last season and three times this season.

Offline fundseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I've been using the "Ice Master " auger to electric drill adapter for about 4 years now. It has a bungie cord and plate mechanism that keeps the auger from falling down the hole if the drill chuck comes loose. Mark my word that will happen so the bungie cord is definitely needed. C.T.C. and others sell cheaper versions without that safety feature. Spend a little more to get a worthwhile adapter. I bought mine at Tremblay's in Orillia. My 18 V lithium Mastercraft  C.T.C. drill will burn about 20 - 25 holes in 12-14" ice with a 6" FinBore auger.  I tried an 8" but it would only do about 4-6 holes. This system really  saves my chronic tennis/fishing elbow & arthritic shoulders. Without it , I wouldn't be fishing in winter if I had to hand crank. Well worth the money. ( I bought a second drill at 50% off just to get a second battery so I'd have lots of power to go trolling. When I kill the first drill I'll have a back up. It just keeps working though.

Offline fundseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2014, 07:55 AM »
The lithium Ion 18 V drill I use is on sale at C.T.C. for 50% off this week.

Offline navychief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:06 PM »
I have a 5" auger and use the drill adapter. I use a 18V Makita and bring both batteries, I can drill two holes in less than a minute.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:18 PM »
My Milwaukee worked real hard this weekend,may have Been the 8 inch auger I just bought lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.