The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: tip up question  (Read 1861 times)

Offline riverchrome

• IceShanty Rookie
tip up question
« on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Just wondering if Im correct  . Say I have 8 tip ups with all my information on them my friends can also use them as long as they   are in control right?

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tip up question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Good question.  I'm interested in the correct answer to this, too.

Offline jugghead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Me too

Offline Phil30817

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:39 PM »
The way I understand it is that you have to have them labeled, but as long as someone in your party is in control of them and you are at the legal number (3 lines per person) you should be fine.  Where the argument would be sparked would be if you were stopped and asked who's is who's and had no clue.  Hope this helps.  All the best,  -phil
"them ain't crabs... them's crayfish."

Offline Itsallaboutcatchingem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Each individual anger need to have their info on them.. Sorry, but not a community affair.
No, it's your turn!

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:42 PM »
The way I understand it is that you have to have them labeled, but as long as someone in your party is in control of them and you are at the legal number (3 lines per person) you should be fine.  Where the argument would be sparked would be if you were stopped and asked who's is who's and had no clue.  Hope this helps.  All the best,  -phil

You are Correct !
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Maybe in MI, but not here in the east.
No, it's your turn!

Offline wyatt_8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:44 PM »

Offline Phil30817

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Did some diggin', here is the same discussion from a couple years back:
* repost * Taken from the 2010 Michigan Fishing Guide

Hook and Line Fishing: Fish so taken must be hooked in the mouth. Fish not hooked in the mouth must be returned to the water immediately. No more than three lines per person (including tip-ups) nor more than six hooks or lures may be used. All hooks attached to an artificial bait or “night crawler harness” are counted as one hook. Hooks must be baited or attached to an artificial bait. You may use any number of hooks on one line for taking smelt in recognized smelt waters. Tip-ups   and similar devices used for ice fishing must show the angler’s name and address. All lines must be under immediate control. Hook size regulations exist on certain streams (see Exceptions to General Regulations by County, p. 16-18).

"Say my buddy and I are fishing and I own 4 tip ups all with my name on them, so we set them all. Then he and I each use a jigging pole too. Do you think the DNR is smart enough to realize he is manning 2 of the tipups too? Or just ticket me for too many with my name on them? I would pick the later based on my past experiences with them. "

I would have to say you are O.K.  For I have done that before.  When I take a few friends salmon fishing out on my boat in the summer, all of the rods are technically mine.  When I take my boy out fishing, the tip-ups he uses do not have his name on them, but mine.  As long as you and your group are fishing the correct number of lines, it does not matter the owner.   
"them ain't crabs... them's crayfish."

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Lets settle this and just put a legal name on the tip-up.  Not too difficult.
No, it's your turn!

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Emailed the DNR with this question.  Interested to see what the response is.  Will post here when I get it.

Offline DuhWicked1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Another way would be to not mark the flag at all and just wrap a piece of duct tape with the current operaters name then can simply be pulled off when done. Just sayin

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Emailed the DNR with this question.  Interested to see what the response is.  Will post here when I get it.
Please do.  I fish with a group of about 5 guys and I own all the tipups.  I let them each use some of mine.  All of them have my name on them but I let them rig and man the tipups I let them borrow.  I will be interested in seeing the answer.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Please do.  I fish with a group of about 5 guys and I own all the tipups.  I let them each use some of mine.  All of them have my name on them but I let them rig and man the tipups I let them borrow.  I will be interested in seeing the answer.

Will do, just sent the email tonight.  Maybe to be on the safe side, it wouldn't hurt to throw some numbers on the tip ups as well and assign them, just so you have a  better argument of being able to explain which guy is in control of which tip ups if ever asked.  Just a thought.

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:52 AM »
I have my name on six tipups and my daughters man 4 of them. I dont see a problem.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:32 AM »
Just wondering if Im correct  . Say I have 8 tip ups with all my information on them my friends can also use them as long as they   are in control right?

Was checked on Pontiac Lake a few years ago. Officer split us up and asked each person which traps they were in control of. This after he checked all traps for information. Fortunately everyone knew which traps they were manning. He told me I was lucky, cause I would have been sighted for too many lines if we had conflicting stories. Hope this helps.

Even if you rotate flags between ya, my suggestion is for each angle to be aware of specific lines they are responsible for if questioned.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:33 AM »
Forgot to mention, all traps had my info on them.

Offline rlbthree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:46 AM »
I've had this happen to me, I was fishing with a group of guys (8 or 9).  We fished with both poles and tipups.  A couple guys didn't own tipups and borrowed from others.  The CO came by and asked whose line was whose.  He didn't care that Joe was using a tipup that had Jim's name on it, he was more concerned with the number of lines matched the number allowed for the number of guys we had.

In fact a couple of us didn't have our names on the tipups (me included).  I offered to put my name on it right away if I could borrow his pen but he said just to make sure my name was on it the next time I came on the ice.  He was being real cool and friendly, just doing his job.  Then for who knows what reason one of the guys in our group starts acting like a A$$ and pissed the CO off.  Well guess what, those of us who didn't have our name on the tipups were using the COs ball point pen in 20 degree weather trying to get our names on our tipups.  No one got written up though and we still give that guy static for pissing off the CO.

Offline shibes24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:04 AM »
I've always heard that about COs.  Don't piss them off rand they will be fair with you.  Of course there are outliers but I've only encountered 2 in my life and both were very friendly.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2014, 01:59 PM »
That's always the way to go.
No, it's your turn!

Offline spy1o1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Taken from the 2010 Michigan Fishing Guide
Tip-ups   and similar devices used for ice fishing must show the angler’s name and address. All lines must be under immediate control. Hook size regulations exist on certain streams (see Exceptions to General Regulations by County, p. 16-18).   

The old guides say you need the angler's name/address on it. They have since switched the wording from angler's name/address to owner's name/address. So the angler using someone else's tip up does not need their name/address on it as long as the owner's name/address is on it.

Here is the reworded version from the 2013 fishing guide:
"All tip-ups and other similar devices must be marked with the name and address of the owner in legible English, either directly on the object or securely fastened to it by a plate or tag. All lines must be under immediate control."

Yes, you are correct

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Thanks for the heads up guys.  I told this to the fellas yesterday and told them do know exactly which ones they were controlling.  Didn't think we would see the C.O. yesterday in 45mph winds but you never know.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Finally got the response from the DNR.  Verifies what has already been said.

"Thank you for your fishing questions.  In Michigan, we allow up to 3 lines (rods or tip-ups) or up to 6 total hooks (see hook-and-line fishing on page 12 of the Fishing Guide at:  www.michigan.gov/fishingguide).  You can use more than 1 treble hook on each line (some people use stingers to hold minnows better).

As long as the tip-ups have someone’s name and address you are covered.  It is okay to use/share tip-ups.  However, do not personally fish with more than 3 at any time.  Good luck fishing."

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:48 PM »
May be that way in Jersey..but here in Michigan it just has to be labeled for the owner information and in control......anyone can be using them......you do have to know whos lines are whose though.

Each individual anger need to have their info on them.. Sorry, but not a community affair.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:30 AM »

Nothing to be sorry for. Just vote out the people that suppress you with law after law at a legislative level, and you could have a reasonable law in your State regarding tip up use as well.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:22 PM »
Phil;
Your original thought is correct...if you want to be certain...write user info on a band-aid an stick it on!
All legal....The problem arises when the question is popped "which are your lines" or "show me yours".
GD :tipup: :thumbsup:
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Very interesting that you can have all the TU's in one name in Michigan.  Here in NJ and NY, where I fish mostly, you need each user's name on them.  To each state their own.  Otherwise, who should really care, as long as you have the appropriate tips for the appropriate # of fisherman.  But, the gov can't make extra cash if they used common sense.
No, it's your turn!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Interesting as well is that your state allows each angler 15 traps on certain waters.... we max at three lines including rod and real.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:21 PM »
NJ 5 total devices, but some NY lakes allow 15.  Yep.
No, it's your turn!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.