Author Topic: Best sled for deep snow and slush  (Read 27311 times)

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
Best sled for deep snow and slush
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Well...some people complained about no snow...
Now the lakes in northern ontario are covered with deep snow and slush.  What do you consider to be the ultimate sled for pulling a sleigh or for general transportation in the soupy stuff?    Does anyone have tips for getting sleds unstuck from the slush?  I have never had to lift my sled up on pine/cedar boughs to allow the slush to freeze, but have heard it is common practice in the deep stuff. 

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best sled for deep snow and slush
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:43 PM »
I have a winch that I can take along with me and hook up to my battery under the hood.  Is it better to pull a sled out backwards or forwards when buried in slush?   Call me crazy, but a hole drilled in the ice with a piece of steel and a winch cable would be an excellent anchor point for the winch.  A short rope on the end of the steel can be pulled when the cable slackens, allowing the steel to be pulled up through the hole.  Any thoughts.

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:45 PM »
We're starting to slush in pretty good now too, later than most years so its been a nice break from the norm.  I have a couple of ski doo tundras, an '87 shortie and a '95 long track (139" track).  As far as deep snow the tundras go anywhere, been very impressed with were I've been able to go this year.  My dad has a yamaha phazer with a 121" track and he struggles in the deep fluffy stuff but when we get in the slush on the lakes his machine does better.  He has more horsepower, can build speed much quicker and stays onto top the slush better than I do even though I have much more floatation.  For slush you have to find the perfect balance of horsepower and floatation and I don't think a sled with a little big bigger lug on the track would hurt.  I've been real curious how some of the sleds with a 144" or bigger paddle track do in the slush.

As far as getting them out of the slush its just brute force setting them ontop the snow and moving forward as far as you can and do it over again until you free.  If you can't dislodge it we block them up and clear the track of slush and snow as good as we can and let the slush freeze up and drive out the next day or two.

Offline Turk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Up until last year I always figured that a fan cooled longer track machine was the most practical due only needing a little snow to lubricate the slides and not worrying about over heating so you were good in any condition. Last year in upper Wisconsin we had Two feet of snow and slush.  No short track machine is going to like those conditions but I never thought about the slush packing into the skid frames of the sleds and freezing.  I have always owned liquid cooled sleds and the heat from heat exchangers will help melt the snow and slush in the skid frame after you shut it off but you may have to bang the back of the sled on the ice a little when you start it again.  We had one guy with a fan cooled machine and we forgot about the slush in the skid frame after stopping and when it was time to move his sled it was frozen solid unable to move.  It took us forever to get enough of the ice out for him to start going again.  After driving through slush and you plan on parking for a while make sure to get as much out as you can.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:46 AM »
I've had my fair share of run-ins with slush over the years, from growing up in northern Ontario, and the last few snowy seasons out here in central Alberta, and this is my opinion. The best way to avoid getting stuck in the slush is to not tow a sleigh, they create a ton of drag and that's what usually kills your momentum. Right now I use a Tundra with the 277cc engine to tow my fish trap, or a trailboggan with gear. If I have either of them hooked to the back, and I run into slush, it's game over. With me just wearing a backpack with some rods, and my auger on my rack, it'll got through up to about 12" of slush, as long as I have enough momentum when I hit it.

My next sled is going to be a long track mountain sled, with a rack to hold my auger, and a few places to tie on my flasher, a tackle box and a rod case. I'm also going to look into a small hub-style shelter that can be strapped to the sled somewhere.

My favorite method for getting un-stuck in the slush is to pack a big pad right beside the sled. Lift the machine up onto this pad, and clear the track out so it doesn't freeze. Pack a nice long run way in front of the sled, and use that to get moving again. It's not pretty, but it's got me mobile again, plenty of times.

Here, I turned the sled around in it's tracks, and tried riding back out. Right next to the fish trap, you can see where I packed the pad and runway down with my boots.

We used a similar method here. Once the sled was back up to speed, I looped back through a couple times close to the sleighs. Once the initial path was broken, I was able to hook onto the sleds individually and dragged them back to shore.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Pkomrowski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:50 AM »
The old elans used to be the ticket, if you could stay on top you were all set, they were all track, but no 2 up on them.
I like cats I just can't eat a whole one!

Offline pcontant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I don't know which sled is the best however I got a new sled this year, a 2014 Ski-doo Expedition LE 1200 4-stroke that has a 154x20 track.  I was a bit worried at first about the extra weight of the four stroke but so far I'm floored at where this thing goes, it's like a tractor.  It's got tons of power and torque and it will take a lot to stop this machine.  I've been in some real bad slush a few weeks ago and I drove through it like it was nothing.  As for deep snow, same thing. With the low gear you can crawl through the bush without spinning and getting stuck while the 20" track floats you around.   Being an adventurer that enjoys exploring I feel I've given this sled a good enough run to say "I'm impressed".  That said, I also know that the day I do get it really stuck I hope have my small chain block with me or I'll be there a long time!
Pierre

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2014, 06:00 AM »
I thought most of the guys in Canada used Skandic's, They sure go through the crap and pull like a draft horse.

WS

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:07 AM »
I think to generalize the kind of sled used in different regions would depend on the terrain. Sure, most riders in the Rockies would choose a mountain sled like an rmk or summit but I've only seen 3-4 newer skandic a being ridden around my area-- ever.  The old tundras are much more common an it seems like everyone's neighbour has an Indy 500 in their garage or back shed.  It's possible that our skidoo dealer was not as well established 15-20 years ago as to flood the market with the older tundras,skandics or Cheyenne's that would be up for sale today.   They do not come up often.  Either that or people really really him on to them. That being said, I don't usually go where there are lots of other riders and when we do go to populated lakes with hundreds of fisherman, most drive their trucks out to their shacks. I do wish more people around here ride skandics though because more would be available on the used snowmobile market. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:40 PM »
I have been searching for a Skandic for two years. They are scarace around these parts. I follow a Skandic forum and many of the people on it are from Canada and Alaska. They use them like we would use a tractor,they aren't cheap and they hold their value. Everyone around here travels on well groomed trails or lakes. I guess that's why there is no interest in a true utility sled.

WS

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:04 PM »
The slush got me today!  I buried our 2 up yamaha venture.  My dad and I were trying to free it from the slush when a friend on a skandic pulled up and gave us a hand.  He told us he almost got stuck there earlier and that he buried his skandic on the south end of the lake on Monday.  Took 4 guys to lift up and slide the skandic over to a frozen pad they made.  Skandic's are very impressive machines, I'm a big fan of them, but if you get them stuck it will take some effort to get them moving again.  Slush will stop even the best of machines if there is enough of it.

On another note I really wish I would of had one of my older tundras, would of been a lot nicer lifting a 300cc lightweight sled full of slush than it was that big heavy 2 up.  I took the 2 up today so I could get around the lake faster and it didn't pay off.

Offline fishondwan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Just spent a week in the Wetmore area in the U.P. of Michigan. Slush was really bad and we couldn't even get on the lake we wanted to fish.

We resorted to fishing a lake that had some old/frozen sled trails across it and caught enough fish to eat every night.  ;D

We both got stuck in slush once and in DEEP snow on land once. I'm riding a 96 Polaris trail long track and it does pretty good but it's too damn heavy once it gets stuck !

I'd love to have a Tundra 550f long track for ice fishing but don't have $9,000 to spend on a sled and finding one used seems to be impossible !

JEZYNOWKA !

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:33 PM »
I just missed out on another '96 tundra tonight, would be my third one in the stable right now.  If you find one call immediately and have cash on hand or it will be gone before you can blink.  The one I called on today had only been for sale for 4 hours. 

Tundras are unbelievable in deep snow and terrain around here.  I can go all kinds of places I never thought possible on a sled.  Something about the lightweight, small motor, and long track just lets you keep chugging along where a sled with more HP would just spin the track and dig a trench.  I've even been hauling some firewood out of the woods for my folks with my '95 and it does it fine.  I have to pull about 1/2 mile to get it too the truck.  The one thing they don't do well is slush.  Just geared too low and hard to get enough momentum to get you over the slush especially pulling a sled.

I've been drooling over the new tundra lt 600 ace but just can't see spending that much on a sled right now.  I watch and talked to a lot of people and can find a couple tundra II or tundra r for $2000-$3000 every year with low miles that you can work on and just lift out if stuck.  Sounds like the new tundra are pretty hard to work on and hard to dislodge if stuck.  I'm sure the riding position and all the new technology make for a superior sled though.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:42 AM »
A tundra would be my choice, I had them at the old company I worked at for running wells. There awful tippy but I'm sure u could widen the skis a bit, it started every day and if u got stuck you can almost pick it up with one hand.
Catching Any?

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:31 PM »
This my best deep snow trail breaker. ;D 1971 Moto Ski Zephyr. Long live leafers and boogie wheels!!!!!

luv2fish2

« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:42 AM »
yeah i got a 1987 skandic 377r love that sled light with enough power to get threw the bad stuff got a friend who wants it bad ( i got a 96 bearcat 440 II i use regulary and a tracked four wheeler ) just can't get rid of it simple is better sometimes

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:49 AM »
I had an old 1970 Mercury Rocket-25hp 339cc, that thing would go anywhere.  I don't think it went faster than 40-45mph though.  Awesome sled that I bought from my Grandfather years ago.  I gave it to another family member, not sure if they still have it or not.  It was very light, you could pick up the front or rear with no problem at all.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline Genzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Really love my Bearcat, goes through anything, floats in deep powder like a giant snowshoe & fished many a slush covered lake w/ no problems.I've also had a tundra 11 & yes tippy, a skandic 550 fan & still have 2 elans. The trouble  w/ skandics is their steering sucks w/ their telescoping front suspension.I've always been ski-doo guy until I rode a bearcat, looking at getting a new one this next season. Hope this helps. :tipup:

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:12 PM »
You must have a special bearcat.  We have 2 of them at work, 550 XT's, the worst machine in deep snow, sucks gas worse than the Queen Mary,  steers like the Titanic and the electronic speedo cluster is a complete cluster.   One minute you've gone 200 miles then it changes its mind and shows 75.  Ever see a clock with a time of 11:77 am.  We can't even give them away.  Thank christ we didn't pay for them.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I have a 87 bravo long track. very dependable and haven't found snow to deep to bury it yet. lol

Offline Genzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:59 AM »
Fisherman, don't know about it being special, JMHO & experience & a friend's who has the identical sled.BTW it's a 05" 660 fourstroke. Has plenty of power & sips gas  at around 25 mpg . I'm hoping they put the Yamaha motor in for next season. Sorry you guys are having trouble w/ the 570's don't know anything bout them.

Offline cobra_sleds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:09 PM »
2-strokes can be pigs on gas, especially cats. The 660 4s is a good engine that I believe was made by Isuzu. Newer Bearcats can have some intermittent electrical problems. And as far as handling, well ... they are utility sleds, but suspension adjustments can be made to make them handle 'good'. The issue stated with deep snow is more a suspension setup than anything else. It must be trenching, so maybe the front skid limiter strap needs to be pulled up or some other rear suspension adjustment made.
“The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit.”

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:27 PM »
2-strokes can be pigs on gas, especially cats. The 660 4s is a good engine that I believe was made by Isuzu. Newer Bearcats can have some intermittent electrical problems. And as far as handling, well ... they are utility sleds, but suspension adjustments can be made to make them handle 'good'. The issue stated with deep snow is more a suspension setup than anything else. It must be trenching, so maybe the front skid limiter strap needs to be pulled up or some other rear suspension adjustment made.

wHY DON'T THEY COME SET UP RIGHT ?

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:44 PM »
If its from the factory then its up to the dealer or purchaser to "assemble" which really isn't much  :)

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:45 PM »
wHY DON'T THEY COME SET UP RIGHT ?

Suspensions are adjustable for different conditions and riding styles. 

A "trail" setup may involve shortening the limiter strap, and reducing or increasing the tension of various springs, to put more weight on the skis to improve trail handling.  A side effect of this is known as trenching, where the track tends to dig in rather than floating on top of the snow. 

At the other end of suspension tuning is a deep snow setup where the limiter strap is let out, and again, various spring tensions may be adjusted.  In this case, the track takes more of the weight, runs flatter, floats better.  With less weight on the skis, the sled doesn't turn as well on the trail. 

This is a greatly over-simplified explanation of the differing options for tuning your suspension for different types of riding conditions, passenger and/or cargo loads, personal preferences.  It was just to illustrate the point that there is not one setting that all "properly set up" snowmobiles should have.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Offline cobra_sleds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Most people make no adjustments to their suspension. Some simple tweaks can make a big difference.

I might be wrong about the cat 660 4s being made by Isuzu. All I can find is it being referred to as a 'Suzuki' engine. I could have sworn that it was not a Suzuki engine.
“The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit.”

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Suspensions are adjustable for different conditions and riding styles. 

A "trail" setup may involve shortening the limiter strap, and reducing or increasing the tension of various springs, to put more weight on the skis to improve trail handling.  A side effect of this is known as trenching, where the track tends to dig in rather than floating on top of the snow. 

At the other end of suspension tuning is a deep snow setup where the limiter strap is let out, and again, various spring tensions may be adjusted.  In this case, the track takes more of the weight, runs flatter, floats better.  With less weight on the skis, the sled doesn't turn as well on the trail. 

This is a greatly over-simplified explanation of the differing options for tuning your suspension for different types of riding conditions, passenger and/or cargo loads, personal preferences.  It was just to illustrate the point that there is not one setting that all "properly set up" snowmobiles should have.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Oh I fully understand the suspension adjustments,  tighten the front strap, you're sort of running on the skis and the rear of the track..it digs, deep, real deep.  Loosen it,  it floats on anything but powder, no steering.   Tried engaging the weight springs on the rear for additional weight, not much difference.   If I'm not mistaken, they run about 700lbs empty

Offline Genzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Cobra, yeah Suzuki motor & it purs like a cat ( pun intended ) all of 700+ lbs I mostly use it for ice fishing& going into camp 17 miles in the adk mountains.I also check on other camps which require boondocking through woods to get there, quite a few times I've got off & sunk to my waist while that big heavy sled just floats.Must be a special one! but I doubt it, so to each their own & I live in the snow belt off of lake Ontario where we allways make the news for record snowfall. :tipup:

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:26 AM »
Bearcat(or ANY heavy machine) will benefit from 12" ski skins, then you can adjust your limiter straps and front ski springs for a little more ski pressure and still maintain good floatation, I would probably put 6" carbides on to help with steering on trails.

My 570 XT will maintain 39 MPH in deep powder at 80-85% Throttle with full load of fishing gear breaking trail across lake, have hit slush lots but just don't let off throttle and you won't get stuck, as long as your engine doesn't blow up you will get through it....LOL!

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:21 AM »
I broke down and spent the money on a set of Simmons gen II skis when I bought my 08 Yamaha RS Venture new. Best money I spent in long time.
On our favorite lake we fight the slush monster quite a bit. This sled has been track stuck but never sunk on the front end.  So far haven't had to have a pull, alawys able unhook sled, stomp a pad or back it a few feet and hit it.

Your mileage may vary.

Ouzel

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.