Author Topic: ways you get catfish through the ice  (Read 629 times)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
ways you get catfish through the ice
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:17 PM »
so i wanted to say that im right now on a mini mission i was seeing catfish on my underwater camera and it made me wonder how to get them i used to get them on jig when fishing for perch but lately they are smarter so lets list how you get them (catfish size from small to those big ones that could brake a pole)
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ways you get catfish through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:14 PM »
first, get your bait: pretty much anything with meat will work, i prefer 1" chunks of cutbait or waxworms.

for lures, i really like a glow northland buckshot minnow or a lindy frostee jigging spoon, depending on how agressive they are.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:22 PM »
what size lindy frostee jigging spoon
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:27 PM »
During the winter they will often take smaller baits. If you found them in a prticular area, they are likely staying in that areas as in the winter they don't move as much. But they still feed.

Are you talking channels? A piece of trout, bluegill, chicken liver or many other things should attract them in and they should take the bait.

If you are talking bullhead, worms have always worked best for me though we have also caught them on small pieces of chicken liver.
James

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:13 PM »
i only have the smallest size of the frostee jigging spoon, but they'll probably hit the larger sizes as well. try to match the size of your jig or lure to the size of the fish you intend to catch.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:03 PM »
for me it doesn't matter what type im just seeing what others use and think of the idea of going for catfish the are fun to get

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.