Author Topic: Ice is gonna be growing like crazy or just gonna be a bust  (Read 606 times)

Offline atarnacki

• Team IceShanty Regular
I feel like the waters with ice right now will be a bust but the openwater lakes will be good this weekend because the snow will insulate them badly

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Ice is gonna be growing like crazy or just gonna be a bust
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I believe an ideal scenario would be wind driven snow blowing off the frozen parts (preventing the insulating properties of snow) and slushing up the open water. That slushed up water will now freeze. Hopefully working to lock up the body of water.

Hamilton res had a bunch of open areas and wide cracks with water. After a few squalls and cold nights, the open parts are smaller and the cracks are frozen solid.

I was there this morning and I was able to fish in places I couldn't a few days ago. Ice is still pretty thin in places but it was cold today and upcoming forecasts show it getting ALOT colder.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bassbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:03 PM »
Luckly up here in the hills we aren't supposed to get to much and it should mostly blow away. That being said it could really make things difficult for the places to the south with very little ice . 

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:15 PM »
If the forecast holds i think we are in for some great ice making! I am expecting the edges to firm up and the "ice proper" to grow fast. The less snow cover, of course, the better the chance for this good turn to happen.

That being said you still have to be smart/safe when you go out. Tight lines! :tipup:

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Regardless of snow, this cold is going to grow ice.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.