The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Need help from the experts!!!  (Read 1278 times)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Need help from the experts!!!
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:17 AM »
Hey guys, you all seem to know a lot about augers so I was wondering if you could help me out with this.  I am getting my first auger for christmas and I want to go with an Electric.  1 because I don't want to deal with the gas, and 2 because they are quieter and such.  I've have done some research for both the Jiffy and the Strikemaster, but I am not sure which to choose and if an electric is still a good choice.  I don't want to spend the money only to have it crap out on me in a year or two.  I am looking at the 8-inch but possiblly the 7-inch also, so any help that you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
Re: Need help from the experts!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:45 AM »
AJ, I don't claim to be an expert but was curious about them and went to http://www.thornebros.com/winter/augers/augers_menu.html to check them out. I don't own one but here is the way I see it.

The biggest difference between them I see is that Jiffy has no battery included so you have to carry a gel-cell or car battery around everywhere you go. The Strikemaster has a small battery included on the head and has the option to use an external as well, this could be handy if you use an external as main power and the mounted battery for a hole hear or there afterwards and won't have to drag the external battery along.

The other thing I noticed was Jiffy has a 12:1 ratio (blade will spin faster) and Strikemaster has 40:1 ratio (blade spins slower, and should have more torque).

Last is the cord, Jiffy 8' and the other 12'. I picture the cord getting cut and tangled up, but the longer may be better for setting down the battery and a hole on each side then moving it and drilling two more (about 12' between holes vs about 20').

So, IF I was to get an electric one, it would probably be the Strikemaster and get the smallest blade possible because the battery will last longer, go for the 7" or even 6" but not the 8".
Hope it helps.

P.S. I own a gas powered Jiffy. If you get one let us all know how you like it after a few trips.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need help from the experts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:55 AM »
I'm a strikemaster fan.  I'd go w/ the 6 or 7", depending on what you're fishing for.  The 6 will drill alot more holes.  Also, I'd recommend buying an extra battery or two so you don't run out on the lake. 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.