Author Topic: Smitty Sled Help  (Read 2765 times)

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smitty Sled Help
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:48 AM »
I have a Clam Denali TC and its a bear to pull through any snow...me and my brother usually go out together and two late twenty pretty fit guys almost lay out flat on the ice after a hundred yards or so.  I have seen multiple smitty sled designs and plan on putting one together so that I can put it on and take it off the sled when out.  Im guessing my flip over loaded with gear weighs about 150#....The question I have is what sort of reduction in pulling would I be looking at for all you smitty builders out there?
BAIT (√) BEER (√) SHANTY (√) FISH (?) STORY (√)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
Re: Smitty Sled Help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:55 AM »
If you build it so you have enough clearence under the sled,I am guess almost 80 %
reduction..The one I built a couple years ago has 7 1/2 clearence..And with all my gear
it pulls easy..But I am getting an eskimo wide and I am anxious to see how it pulls with that
sitting on it..But ten again I don't have more than a couple 100 yards to go...

the thing is to build the sled as light as you can..
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline jerrife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:57 AM »
Big difference in pulling, well worth taking a little time and putting one together.
           :thumbsup: BUBBA ARMY :thumbsup:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:57 AM »
think of it this way, you will be taking all that surface area of the tub you got and lifting it out of the snow and putting it on a pair of low surface area skis. I wax the bottom of my skis with paraffin wax from time to time and find that I can't walk in front of my sled on any kind of down hill drag  on my way to the ice or I'll get run over, lol! Think of it this way. Take your tub and try sitting in it and sled your way down a hill. Then go back and put on a pair of skis and ski down the hill. Which is faster?

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:57 AM »
I have an otter wild lodge. Fully loaded its close to 200 lbs, yet pulls like a little 1 man, on my jiffy sled.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:59 AM »
If you build it so you have enough clearence under the sled,I am guess almost 80 %
reduction..The one I built a couple years ago has 7 1/2 clearence..And with all my gear
it pulls easy..But I am getting an eskimo wide and I am anxious to see how it pulls with that
sitting on it..But ten again I don't have more than a couple 100 yards to go...

the thing is to build the sled as light as you can..

Wow 80%! that would sure as heck take a load off!  I was planning on about 8" of clearance and not set on structure material but have been thinking square aluminium...should be nice and light.  Thanks for the info!

Offline Striker7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:00 AM »
I  say about 3/4 reduction on average

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:00 AM »
you will be happy you took a few minutes to put one together

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:03 AM »
I pull about 100# by myself with a Smitty sled. I made the sled this year and it made a dramatic difference. I found some ski's in a thrift store for two bucks and had some left over wood from building a couple decks. I hold the flip over to sled with a couple bungees. I learned to put the heavier stuff in back, so the ski's ride up and over the snow. Mine disassembles into 4 pieces with no screws.

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Guys thanks again!  I was hoping for somewhere around 1/2 reduction with smittys design....sounds like I will get way more than that!  I know what Im doing this weekend  ;D

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:13 AM »
I have a frabill predator which is 150lbs then I use a 20lb propane tank, 2 vexs a camera and rods reels all that stuff im pulling at least 250 lbs and it pulls like nothing

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:58 AM »
yesterday i broke out the smitty skies and i put the rope where my belt would be (my buddy wears his like a deer pull, over one shoulder) and walked. i could not tell the any thing was behind me (other than hearing the skies noise they make) and it was NICE! using my arms to walk normally and not breathing hard because of pulling 100 plus pounds. i was walking maybe 3-4 inches of blown snow ice.
best part was the walk back, not having all that snow/ice stuck to the bottom of the tub feeling like an extra 50 pounds llike it normally does. what a real treat!

!  ! ! thanks smitty ! !  !

just think how many lives you might have saved from heart attacks!!

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Where does everyone recommend attaching the pull rope? I drilled holes in the tip of the skies. Should I attach there or run my rope through there and attach to the front of the first set of risers?
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:19 AM »
I just built one out of 2x lumber, 2x8's for the risers and 2x4's for the cross members.  I got 75-80% reduction in drag.  I drilled the ski tips and installed eye bolts with the eye down for the rope.  The reason I put them eye down was when you pull on them it will lift up on the skis as opposed to installing them the other way which when pulled pushes down on the tips.  Just my .02
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:44 AM »
the nice thing is it is easy to attach a set of old lawn mower wheels for those long pulls across parking lots and boat ramps.  ;)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:09 AM »
I just built one out of 2x lumber, 2x8's for the risers and 2x4's for the cross members.  I got 75-80% reduction in drag.  I drilled the ski tips and installed eye bolts with the eye down for the rope.  The reason I put them eye down was when you pull on them it will lift up on the skis as opposed to installing them the other way which when pulled pushes down on the tips.  Just my .02
  I agree

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:33 AM »
the nice thing is it is easy to attach a set of old lawn mower wheels for those long pulls across parking lots and boat ramps.  ;)

excellent idea.....
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:11 PM »

I like the idea but how do you keep them from dragging in deep snow?
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:42 PM »
I just built one for my shanty this year because it was like towing my bass boat across the ice!  Made a HUGE difference in the pull!!  When you build it, try to use downhill skis because they're wider and "float" better in the snow.  As soon as I figure out my photobucket account, I'll post some pics.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Just built this one. Works great!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Where does everyone recommend attaching the pull rope? I drilled holes in the tip of the skies. Should I attach there or run my rope through there and attach to the front of the first set of risers?

I ran my tow rope up from the bottom of the skis and just put a knot on the end. I figured going from the bottom would give lift to the skis where going from the top would push them down into the snow.

Thinking about it, having the  rope fastened to the front riser may give even more lit fo the ski tips

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:08 PM »
RG I will pay you for one of those!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:50 AM »
I like the idea but how do you keep them from dragging in deep snow?

drill the ends of your axles to use a clevis pin hairpin so that if you don't need wheels you can just pull a pin and remove the axle and wheels in one shot.

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Here's mine

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.