Author Topic: SOS - Structure On A String?  (Read 2500 times)

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
SOS - Structure On A String?
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:44 AM »
I recently found a site with a product for ice anglers that I thought was interesting, that is intended to attract pan fish.
 It's called (you guessed it) Structure On A String, and is basically a weighted 40ft cord with 3ft of artificial weeds wrapped around the bottom, and a float on top.  The basic idea is that you drill some holes, drop these in the water and the fish will start to congregate around this structure.  They recommend to drill 5 holes, put these artificial weeds down and set up to jig right in the middle of them.  They also have artificial weeds that you can wrap around your underwater camera cable to disguise it.

I have several questions about it: Would fish really be attracted to a group of weeds that suddenly appeared out of nowhere?  How long would it take panfish to find them and settle in to this group of structure?

Also I can see what would happen to me... I would get a good size fish on that would wrap my line around several of these things and I would have a mess  under the ice!

They are quite pricey I thought, and Thorne Bro's sells them ($70 for 5)
I came across this site through a post in a Michigan Ice fishing site (forgive me IceShanty for I have strayed),  :'(  Someone posted that they made their own with some heavy line and artificial Christmas swags. for about $5.

Here's the site: http://www.ladredge.com/
Thorne Bro's listing: http://www.thornebros.com/winter/electronics/LaDredge/structure_string.html

So what do you guys think?  Just another gimmick to attract ice fishermen, or would it really work?  ???
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: SOS - Structure On A String?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:54 AM »
I would think it would take a while for them to find the structure unless they were right near it to begin with.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:58 AM »
Sounds like agood idea. Could be tough just setting em up and tryin to catch fish, maybe leave em out a couple days and give the fish time to get used to them.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:15 AM »
I thought about this last year and actually went to a local craft store to see what the cost of garland was. I was going to make a half dozen and put weights on the bottom then attach a float or plastic jug on top. I decided against it when I knew a few fish would go on a run and get me all tangled up in the mess. I've got enough stuff to drag onto the ice and don't need any more to clutter up my sled.
Ken                                          

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:22 AM »
I would think that if you have a long term set up, a permanent shanty, that it would work pretty well.  For me it's not practical because those types of structures aren't allowed on our lakes (not enough ice, short season, etc.).  Also, if you have something long term, you should check with your DNR as some states may have laws that don't allow anglers to place structure on lakes, etc.

Neat concept though...
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:26 AM »
........or if you want it just for your camera cable :
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/electronics/LaDredge/camera_cable_structure.html
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:44 AM »
........or if you want it just for your camera cable :
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/electronics/LaDredge/camera_cable_structure.html

Kinda like "underwater camo" eh?    ;D

Offline -fish-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:11 AM »
I think the stuff will work. I am going out tonight to buy the materials to make a bunch of these. Ill report back on if makes a difference to my catch rate or not...

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:16 AM »
I have an idea fish where theres real weeds  ;D
Sax

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:18 AM »
they did an aricle on this in the newest NAFC mag. it was pretty intresting, it also included how to make your own.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:37 AM »
What would be interesting would be to have someone try it with a camera setup so you could see the before and after views! 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:51 AM »
I am going to take some yellow and green nylon rope and comb it out and attach weights to the bottom along with a cord to retrieve it with and make a few of them. I use a couple of aquarium plants on my Aquavu. We'll see what happens with the rope.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:58 PM »
I've owned the camera "structure" for about two years.  I mostly jig pike and don't use it, but in the slow period of mid/late ice, I target suspended crappie... and I believe it works.  It's not the magic answer to catch you fish when everyone else is getting skunked but I can tell you that the suspended gills/crappie will relate to your fake weeds after they find it.
Again, not magic, but when the mid/late ice has killed off most of the weeds the fish will relate to anything they can find.  I've never used the ones you float independently but I bet if they were left over night or for an extended period they'd hold a good number of fish.

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:32 PM »
Christmas trees tied to a cement block? years ago i remember reading about dumping  cars, concrete, rocks etc. in lake erie to make a reef. they said fish were on it in 2 hrs. warm weather, active fish, big lake.sounds like more stuff to carry out. more stuff to move if you run and gun.will it work? sometimes. anything works sometime, nothing works everytime. just my .02 worth.

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:17 PM »
The only thing they will catch are fishermen
Its Ice Now!

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:27 PM »
The only thing they will catch are fishermen

HAHA.....im thinking the same. Unless you leave them out there for the fish to acctually find them I think they would be useless.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:29 PM »
its sound science I think, I also think you would have to leave it out for a while

we have enhanced fishing structures all over Sacandaga

artificial reefs? etc etc

just one more thing to add to the arsenal I supposed

especially if you have a perm hardside shanty that is going to stay put

why not add some season long structure next to your favorite jiggin whole :P

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:40 PM »
I think they make work only if there are fish in the area or for fish that may be cruising through quickly.

I think if theres fish in a weeded area already that placing some greener weeds down there and maybe even taller weeds down there it may make the fish go to the greener structure or may get those gills to rise further off the bottom thus getting them to bite better.

I feel if you are fishing a mud flat/dropoff area that adding some weeds on the bottom may get the fish that cruz through to stop and take a look at the weeds see if they can pick a couple inverts off it      but instread your jig will be there and they may bite. It always seems that fish that cruz around a lake quickly are less apt to stop and check out your jig but the weeds may get them to stop.

just my opinion

FK
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.