Author Topic: What lake to take a kid?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
What lake to take a kid?
« on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Hey guys I was curious what's a good lake to take a kid ice fishing? I'm in cheyenne so a good lake with in 3 hours for something other than trout! I know their is box butte but curious what other ones in Nebraska are worth a drive too for different species?

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What lake to take a kid?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Wow, that many reviews and no suggestions?

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:03 PM »
If he likes to chase flags box butte is the choice. There are lakes with panfish further away from you but none I consider good kid lakes.  Walgren keeps a fairly consistent bite but you would drive further for lesser quality fish. Smith has good fish but bite can be too fickle for a child.
Where's the ice

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Hey I appreciate it east westerner. Just tring to introduce my son to different species of fish. Yeah I have box on my list just trying to see what else is out their. Do you know if oliver even has fish anymore?

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:17 PM »
Gotta admit, your headline didn't give us an idea where you were located. Most of us are 400 miles away from you, so expect a lot of scans with few answers. I don't want to step on Whitetips' toes, but as always, start at the NGPC web site, and check out the 2014 fishing forecast ( http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/pdfs/FishForecast.pdf  ), which outlines fish sampling results across the state. I'm sure you'll get a few responses from guys located in Greater Nebraska soon enough. Check on the NEFGA site too for help - there are lots of helpful folks there as well

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:09 PM »
I have good contacts out there.  Oliver is not a priority to fish that I know of.  I ll do some checking and probably just pm you what I find out.  Out of respect for the guys out there that are putting in the time to find the other good lakes I just can't feel good about posting lake names.
Where's the ice

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Sorry about that but I did say I was in cheyenne. Appreciate the help guys. I wasn't asking for secret spots or the best setup or bait to use. just a lake to take a 4yo to catch something besides trout.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Be sure to check that 2014 Fishing Forecast, http://digital.outdoornebraska.gov/i/237426.  All of our public waters are listed in the back of the 2013-2014 Fishing Guide, http://www.outdoornebraska.ne.gov/fishing/guides/fishguide/pdf/FishGuide.pdf, and you should check out Box Butte Reservoir. ;)  Smith Lake if you want to travel a little farther.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:39 PM »
If you are looking for pan fish, perch in particular, Smith Lake WMA is the place to be if you want to keep a kid busy all day. 

Ice tournament there this Sunday but should have more than enough room for all. Might want to enter. Usually have plenty of prizes for kids.

dc

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:00 PM »
Hey thanks to those that gave  me an idea on where to go and helped out. Wasn't looking where the "secret" spots are just some where to watch my kid have fun and catch fish. We both don't care if its a 4" pan fish! Just tryin to introduce different areas and different fish to my son!

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Just tryin to introduce different areas and different fish to my son!

Careful or you'll demonize him.  ;)

I've corrupted four of my own with no regrets.

dc 

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Ha ha no worries. He is only 4 and all he wants to do is fish and go hunting!

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:23 PM »
Depends on what fish exactly that you are looking for. As far as lakes closes to you as mentioned before there is Oliver but I haven't heard much about. If you want to drive a bit then you can get up to merrit reservoir or down to enders reservoir. Both would be decent options for catching fish. As for quality, they're larger bodies of water so finding quality fish would take some work. I've also heard good things about Red Willow and you could have a good chance to get some wipers through the ice which would be a riot!
Get Yo Fish On!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.