Author Topic: Ice Fishing near Sandpoint  (Read 846 times)

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing near Sandpoint
« on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:13 AM »
My wife and I are headed up to meet a couple of my brothers north of Sandpoint and are planning on doing some ice fishing Saturday and Sunday. Is the ice still in good condition on Cocalala, Round Lake and other nearby areas? Any lakes you would suggest we hit? I am mostly looking for some perch fishing. :)

Thanks!

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing near Sandpoint
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:41 AM »
I was out on Coc. on monday and ice was iffy. Most gone around sportsman's access and difficult to reach the ice. The ice I would imagine after a week of sun is 5in with lots of open/thin areas. East side of the lake I would imagine is the same. Round lake on monday was 6-8inchs soft white ice.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Thanks weigand. Sounds like we may want to stay off of Coc. and try Round instead or possibly even Mcarthur up further north.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Monday, the ice was dry on Round Lake and new holes measured 10" of ice.  A few old holes were eroding  within 50' of the dock.  Cocolalla is frozen, but watch your step ~ it didn't all freeze at once, but over time.   Sunnyside ice is destroyed by high wind/waves   We are all still seekin' a perch honey hole.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Thanks Idahogator.
Do you know if anyone has tried Mcarthur lake? I know that Fish and Game has periodically messed with that fishery because of the weeds but I always thought the perch fishing there was decent. Also, what about the ice in front of Condo Del Sol to the left of the long bridge near town?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:28 PM »
I was surprised to see a lot of ice out by the condos on Monday and it was vacant, hm, maybe the three out there, that I have seen, are still looking for a fish, ha. Parking is almost nonexistent unless you fake car trouble, ha. Third Street is a hike away.  It looks good, I'll follow you, ha.    ;)2     Another option is Dover, huge, long public dock and deep river water, ice or not, always fishable.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:31 PM »
I've actually never fished Dover. At least not that I recall. If all else fails I may check that out! Thanks

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:45 PM »
That Dover is almost a treasured secret . Good to just drive through.    ;)2

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:46 PM »
I wonder if we could park at that Exxon right there and then just walk in....Dogtown beach would be a bit of a hike too.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Hm, maybe drop you gear off there, leave a guard, and park behind the Court House, that is free, the fuel stop may want a parking fee and most likely is no, we'll tow.    :%$#!: :cookoo:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.