Author Topic: LX-7 - What am i doing wrong?  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
LX-7 - What am i doing wrong?
« on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Good morning guys,

I am still having a hard time with this LX 7. It's still very difficult to see my jigs when fishing deeper water. Im attaching some video links from last night to give you a better idea what im talking about. Maybe I don't have a setting right.

Im also running my IR high due to a lot of interference im getting from a LX-3 that someone is using next to me

here is the jig im using Gill Pill   

http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/Tommy_Talbot/media/20140116_1850161_zps14b4ee36.mp4.html

^ in this video im running my Sens and target high just to be able to see my jig on the flasher dial, but because my sends is so high im getting a lot of feed back

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Tommy_Talbot/?action=view&current=20140116_1846151_zps2e320204.mp4

^here I have dialed down my sensitivity to 15. Target is still 8. if I move my jig it almost goes away

http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/Tommy_Talbot/media/20140116_1843481_zps64b9e20e.mp4.html

^ Here I left my Sens at 15 moved target to 1 and as you can see it's almost impossible to determine where my bait is when I jig.

Please let me know if you have any ideas
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LX-7 - What am i doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:16 AM »
should have bought a vex ;D :o

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:33 AM »
should have bought a vex ;D :o
knew that was coming!

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Firefightertom

I would call Marcum and see what they say. I think customer service is open at 8am.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Do you have your color pallet on all the colors at once?
KCCO

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:42 AM »
This thing has been there twice. First time for a bad PL board. Second time was for this reason. They bench tested it for 2 days and returned it stating nothing was wrong with it. Its been a tough road with Marcum service. When they shipped it back they forgot to send my transducer, then took 2 weeks to get it back to me.

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:43 AM »
Yes running the full color palet

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:54 AM »
This thing has been there twice. First time for a bad PL board. Second time was for this reason. They bench tested it for 2 days and returned it stating nothing was wrong with it. Its been a tough road with Marcum service. When they shipped it back they forgot to send my transducer, then took 2 weeks to get it back to me.

The transducer deal would have sent me over the top! can you return it? If so check out the lowrance ice machines they are awesome!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:14 AM »
I set my display to 6 color palette  R-O-Y-LG-G-B. If I'm fishing small baits I'll start my sensitivity in the 7 - 9 range. Larger baits it will be less. Adjust from there once you get a bait in the water.

My IR will be set to 4 to start and I rarely need to touch the IR button under any circumstances.

If I'm fishing outside I'll have screen brightness at 40% or so. Less inside.

I'm still a manual range guy so I set mine for the range closest to the max depth and leave it there.

I don't use Target Adjust much so most of the time I leave it at the default setting 99% of the time.

Once you get a set up you like don't forget that you can go into the menu and "save" your screen configuration so it is always available to you should you start tweaking further and prefer your original settings.

Make sure your ducer is below the ice, there will also be a new Firmware update 4.0.6 any day now.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:22 AM »
do you have another unit running?  I see some interference in the graph. The lines going up and down

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Crappie guy,
Im running the same color Pallette but my sensitivity has to be at least 15 or I cant see my jig. That's also the reason im running my target up so high so my jig is better defined.

The only thing I have not done is dropped my ducer lower in the water. Both the instructions and the guys at Marcum told me to place it just below the water level. Im fishing on about 6 inches of good, clear ice.

Bigbuck, there is another unit, I had my IR set at 8. I tried lower settings but could not seem to kick the interferience

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:13 AM »
If your transducer is all the way below the ice you shouldn't get this much interference. I'd contact Marcum for help.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:39 AM »
i hope you have your old sonar still!
can you get your money back?

two times to manufacturer and forgetting to send your property and still not working is no good at all and should allow a refund

i thought about one this season, but keep reading here on troubles with them and bad service and when i looked at the picture of it, i don't like how they shrink the left side vertical water column so small, but thats all they can do with it.

i will wait for a colored full sized water column sonar, like showdown, but color

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:43 AM »
I sold my LX 3 to put towards the 7. I sent the company I bought it from an e mail about exchanging it this morning. Yet to hear back.

http://youtu.be/2c72JiAI340

This guy is running in 3 color mode (which according to Marcum is 50% LESS sensitive than full color) and is at 5 on the sens and look at his return on his jig. Perfect!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:49 AM »
they need to replace it then if you can't get a refund like you said
hope they will and i would like to know if they do too
marcum was my next move if i make one

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:53 AM »
This is my 3rd Marcum, and up until this point I have never had an issue with their products or their CS. But I can tell you this experience with the LX 7 has really rubbed me the wrong way. I almost feel an attitude from the service tech's  when I call in now. Don't know what to do from here other than hope the company I bought it from will work with me. This will probably be my last Marcum purchase

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:17 AM »
I have had the same experience with a bad showdown 5.6 single beam unit I bought from them.  I don't know what's going on over there but they better get their attitudes and service shaped up.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:21 AM »
I have one of the first units sent out and love mine, running 2.9, sensitivity at 2 target id at 0 and works great at 48' watching 4 jigs, 2 about the size shown...

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Do you have the same problem if the LX-3 is turned off?

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:29 AM »
I sold my LX 3 to put towards the 7. I sent the company I bought it from an e mail about exchanging it this morning. Yet to hear back.

http://youtu.be/2c72JiAI340

This guy is running in 3 color mode (which according to Marcum is 50% LESS sensitive than full color) and is at 5 on the sens and look at his return on his jig. Perfect!
Well he's only in 8 feet of water.

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:35 AM »
Same problem with Jig not showing up but the interference flicker isn't as bad when 3 is removed

8 ft of water but running 3 color pallet. 50% less sensitivity.  these things are designed for 100+ feet I cant imagine 20 ft should be much different than 8 ft

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Does anyone know if Marcum has regional sales rep's. Im sick of the crapty attitude im getting from calling into the service number

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Another quick question....watching your videos it looks like your jig disappears and then reappears when you changes depth....correct. I think what you're seeing is the jig moving in and out of the sonar 'cone'. There is video out there from Vexilar about how the sonar 'cone' is shaped more like a 'Christmas tree' than a solid cone. Some other guys that are more technical than me can probably explain it better than me.

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:04 AM »
I was using the 20 deg beam, so it would have to be pretty far out from the center of my hole to be outside the beam. I just talked to the owners of RedRock store, where I bought the unit. They are going to contact Marcum and try to get something done about this. Class act from a company in my opinion. They said since Rapala took over Marcum there has been a LOT of issues with CS.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Mine is doing something similar. My buddy who has one also has his sens on 4 and it shows up perfect while mines on 15 and kind of flickery where my jig is and isn't as clear I upgraded to the new version last night and found my ducer cable wasn't secured and locked in.trying it this weekend to see if it helped.am also going to try swapping ducers with him to see if that could be an issue

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Let me know. When I sent mine in last time I ended up with a new transducer by mistake so I don't think its a ducer problem. Im starting to wonder if im getting full power out of the unit. Somone posted that they are having the same problem with a LX-6. Starting to be a trend?

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I have noticed that some jigs just dont pick up well no matter the type of sonar you fish with.

There's a few things I like to know:

1.  Does the issue persist with different types of jig and or sizes?  What about spoons? 
2.  Does the issue persist no matter what body of water you fish and at any depth?
3.  Is there another LX7 owner you know that can run their unit side by side with your to compare?

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:39 AM »
I was using the 20 deg beam, so it would have to be pretty far out from the center of my hole to be outside the beam.

Are you sure about that...watch this video and then decide....

www.youtube.com/embed/qKTIE6xKqGA

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I have noticed that some jigs just dont pick up well no matter the type of sonar you fish with.

There's a few things I like to know:

1.  Does the issue persist with different types of jig and or sizes?  What about spoons? 
2.  Does the issue persist no matter what body of water you fish and at any depth?
3.  Is there another LX7 owner you know that can run their unit side by side with your to compare?

Issue is  across the board on small jigs in deeper water (8ft +) Haven't seen anyone with a 7 around here yet

BigRock, At 24 ft my footprint was 8 ft. Where I was jigging I would assume  I was around the 6 to 7ft footprint . There is no current where im fishing so don't see my line drifting any more than a few inches out of the center of the cone. I will have to watch the video tonight as I don't have speakers here on my computer

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Issue is  across the board on small jigs in deeper water (8ft +) Haven't seen anyone with a 7 around here yet

BigRock, At 24 ft my footprint was 8 ft. Where I was jigging I would assume  I was around the 6 to 7ft footprint . There is no current where im fishing so don't see my line drifting any more than a few inches out of the center of the cone. I will have to watch the video tonight as I don't have speakers here on my computer

Please do....it really opened my eyes to how sonar works....now don't be confused since its a video from Vexilar...the principles will be the same. I hope you get your problem solved and good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.