The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Where am I?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Phil30817

• IceShanty Rookie
Where am I?
« on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Hi there, I am new to the area AND to the site, recent transplant to the Rockford MI area coming from Northern WI.  I have no problem saying I am out of my element...kissed all the fishing/hunting areas I knew goodbye and have to start new.  I am wondering if anyone can offer insight on where one might have good tip-up action.  I fished Angel Lake last week and had fun catching hammer handles, but I'm hoping for bigger and/or some crappies.  Someone suggested 'speck' fishing...  ???!  Also, along with kissing goodbye the spots I knew I kissed goodbye our friends (including my fishing buddies) and family, so if anyone is willing to buddy up with a bum like me I am all for making new friends.  Don't worry...I have all of my own gear and won't be bothering you constantly (I rarely get to fish as is, 2 young kids...) just looking to learn the "land" ;D.  Hoping to get out mornings this coming weekend if anyone is up for a tag-along.  Thank you, -Phil
"them ain't crabs... them's crayfish."

Offline michiganice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where am I?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Welcome!  Can't help you out much up in that area, but quite a few guys from your neck of the woods.  Good luck!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:09 PM »
specks are just another name for Crappie.   I'm from a ways north of you and know nothing of your area... so not much help there sry.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:13 PM »
PM Sent :)  Shhhhhhhhhh!
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Tip up fishing for pike...Bass lake and Wabasis in NE portion of county......Most lakes around here hold northerns but only a few hold monsters. Also Check out Murray for Musky. Wabasis has Crappie also.

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2014, 05:33 AM »
I am not far from you, but am not originally from the area either.  I also, like you, have two small children and the bonus of a wife that works 3rd shift.  Makes it tough to get out for sure.  What I have learned is that most of the many lakes in the area are good for panfish.  Many are very good for crappies (or specks as we call them).  I don't like to mention the names of smaller lakes, but the big lakes...no problem.  Wabasis has just about everything you could want from big predators to pannies, but the best spots appear to be on the east side of the lake which is a long way from the public launch.  Big Whitefish also is a popular spot for perch, gills, and specks, and the crowd seems to prefer the bay to the south  of the access.  A bit of a hike, but not like Wabasis.  Murray is another good choice.  Lincoln is a great lake, but I personally don't trust the ice there most of the time.  There are loads of smaller lakes in the Rockford and Greenville area and they all get good reviews at times.  Pick one and learn it.  You won't be disappointed.  I know this is an ice fishing forum, but if you like to fish for trout and salmon, you have a bounty of that nearby as well.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Welcome!

What TK said was pretty much sums up what I was going to say.  I am also an implant from Northern MI so it has taken me a few years to figure things out down here.  It may not offer that same opportunities as you are used, but there is plenty of opportunity and we do have some of the best fishing in the Midwest if you are into Salmon/Steelhead. 

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I would have to say don't get your hopes to high. Your fishing expectations may need to be altered. A combination of overfishing and a DNR that has there head up there ass has made for some ok fishing. It is unlikely that you are going to find the the caliber of fishing that you may be accustomed to. Saginaw Bay, Lake Erie and Lake Saint Clair. Still have some good fishing. These are monster waters and get hammed also.

Offline Phil30817

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:45 AM »
 :o Wow!!!  Didn't expect such a warm welcome, thank you so much!  I greatly appreciate all of this advice and you have certainly made me feel more at 'home' right out of the gates.  To those that sent me PM's, thank you that much more...keep 'em coming!  Feel free to message me sometime if you would like some company out there.  All the best,

Phil

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:26 AM »
I would have to say don't get your hopes to high. Your fishing expectations may need to be altered. A combination of overfishing and a DNR that has there head up there ass has made for some ok fishing. It is unlikely that you are going to find the the caliber of fishing that you may be accustomed to. Saginaw Bay, Lake Erie and Lake Saint Clair. Still have some good fishing. These are monster waters and get hammed also.

Boo Michigan has bigger fish in almost all cases for records with 12 state record fish being caught in the last 14 years.  I would say the fishery is doing pretty well.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I think Swedish Pimp was referring to West MI.  The area does well with its pan fish but not consistent producers of quality walleye/pike/whitefish  you will find elsewhere in the State.  Yes if you are willing to drive, you can find great fisheries in Saginaw Bay, LSC, the bigger lakes in North LP or even the UP.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:04 AM »
PM Sent.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline bigfisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I lost him! had to be a 10 pounder.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:10 AM »
PM sent hope i helped

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Welcome to Mich. & the Shanty! You have come to the right place to meet some great folks.Lots of great guys in the G R area,that will help you out.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:08 AM »
I think Swedish Pimp was referring to West MI.  The area does well with its pan fish but not consistent producers of quality walleye/pike/whitefish  you will find elsewhere in the State.  Yes if you are willing to drive, you can find great fisheries in Saginaw Bay, LSC, the bigger lakes in North LP or even the UP.
X2

Offline Phil30817

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Thank you again and again!  Oddly I am unable to reply to PM's (contacted Admin, hopefully thats fixed soon).  As soon as I can I will send replies.  Looking forward to putting your advice to good use.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2014, 02:49 PM »
I think you need a few more posts ( I believe 5 or more) to write or respond to PM's.  Keep posting!  ;D

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:13 PM »

There are lakes that are great producers of pike around here...  I watched a guy pull a 36 and a 38 out back to back this year out here.

Offline Phil30817

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:01 PM »
  This pic is from last year but at least now you know what my ugly mug looks like in case I run in to you out there.  Thanks again everyone for the welcome to MI.  Looking forward, -Phil

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.