Author Topic: Nails????  (Read 1838 times)

grumpymoe

Nails????
« on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:49 AM »
I've seen past posts and recent about using nails to weight dead bait...... :-\ :-\...any carpenters out there???....your thoughts...Grump

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nails????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:07 AM »
i have seen people using them to make dead smelt stay down and float straight but i never liked the idea in case they swallowed the bait. didn't seem like the nail would be to good for the fishs health

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:17 AM »
I have to admit to doing that Grump but, I guess I've gotten older and more concerned with environmental issues so now I just add split shot above the smelt and don't worry too much about that-I'm using it on tip-ups for Pike and I really don't believe they care how it sits in the water.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:14 PM »
Guys use it to balance out dead bait and make them look more appealing, I dont believe in it personally...to each their own.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:28 PM »
my grandfather used to put lead soldering in his dead smelt so it would sit natural in the water. not too earth friendly though but back then it wasnt a concern.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:06 PM »
I agree with davef.  I do not like the idea of a fish swallowing a nail. 

Offline nailbender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer tastes so much better on ice
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:57 PM »
being a carpenter i would say use non coated spikes mainly cause they rust fast. but maybe a guy could use a leader attached to the nail and to a three way swivel so if the fish does swallow it you could pull it back out. have no clue just a thought
If there was no ice I would shake the dice and see if my portable sled worked as a boat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.