Author Topic: Lake Lowell  (Read 3478 times)

Offline RTRSHOOTER

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Lowell
« on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:36 AM »
I was curious how the ice was holding up?

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Lowell
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Hey guess u r New to the site to.
 Im starting to think we may have to offer some info b4 we get much.
This seems like a pretty tight lipped group.
But if ur gona fish I guess u gota b able to keep a secret haha

Offline RTRSHOOTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Yes I agree with you.  First year ice fishing this year and my four girls love it.  We have been out three times this year and have had a great time.  This was my first post.  I will post some info when I get it.  Thanks for your support.

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Its not really that way. Probably no ones been out in middle of week. I posted a thread above your first one. I went Monday ice was 9 inches and slick. Caught a fee but action was not hot.check the post for CJ and Lowell just above your post for last reports on Lowell. Have fun and let us know if you go.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Hey guess u r New to the site to.
 Im starting to think we may have to offer some info b4 we get much.
This seems like a pretty tight lipped group.
But if ur gona fish I guess u gota b able to keep a secret haha

I doubt anyone is going to withhold info on Lowell.  Probably either busy fishing, or haven't been.  Hard to share info you don't have. :)   Go on out and then let us know how it is.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Ya my second year icefishing and iv had a blast.
its nice to b on the same playing feild as all the guys that run th big fancy boats when its thawed.
And its a lot cheaper  :)
Im hoping to get it all figured out by the time my girl is old enough.
She is just a year old now

Offline RTRSHOOTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies that makes me feel a lot better.  I am going out Saturday and will give you a shout.  Thanks for the replies.  I just joined the sight today.

Offline hookedonfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Hello to everyone on the board. First post and wanted to thank the community for the great info and glad to contribute.  Fished Lowell today 9 inches of ice but getting soft on the edges. 9 perch all small and a big largemouth bass that I will post once I figure out how.  Great day only. A few others out there.  fished the Nampa dam out from the east ramp in 15 fow. good luck and hope to see you out on the ice.

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Hey Gunslinger. I tried to get info on Wildhorse Nevada and I only got one reply.  I agree with hooknhunter. Because this site is awsome during hard water fishing, Its open water season, when everyone clams up and goes their own way.  I will call a friend of mine who is retired and see if he has been to Lowell in past few days. 
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Okay The Scoop on Lake Lowell. My buddy just called from his home in Nampa. ( 1-17-14, 1530 hrs. or 3:30 pm)  He fished the Nampa Dam on the East side. Ice was slick and 7" to 8" thick. You should wear ice cleats. He caught 13 nice Perch all over 12" He had a blast. Hope you all do too!
Kenny.
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline RTRSHOOTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Just got off the ice at lake Lowell. It was hot for a while. My wife got 4 fish in less than 5 minutes. Two of my four daughters caught fish too, not to mention the 10 or more that hit, but didn't get the hooks set. The ice is very slick, I would recommend crampons if you have them. They kept my girls from falling. The ice is still about 8 to 9 inches thick. Even with the fog, it was pretty good fishing. I recommend anything red. Hope you have a good time. I know we did. ;D

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:39 PM »
What side of the dam were you fishing? What time was the hot bite? I fished the east side from ten till five. I caught one good bass and couple decent perch and a few dinks. Never felt like they really turned on. Started in 22 fow moved to 15 fow but didn't change fishing much. How far out from the dam were you?

Offline Ramjetroger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I want to fish Lake Lowell one day the first part of this week. I have ice cleats. I am wondering how the edges are
holding up. Do we have a limited time before the edges are unsafe to get out on? I have fished the Nampa dam
side a few times this year and hope to go back again if it is safe. I don't like cold water swims with heavy clothes.

Offline Meat Whistle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I heard from some folks that they wouldn't eat fish out of Lake Lowell. How common is this belief out there? I'm fairly new so I don't know, but I'm interested in fishing it.

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Was out today. The edges are clear ice giving the impression they are weak but didn't budge when I stepped on them. Fishing was good today. As long as it stays as cold as its been the ice should be good to go. I have eaten fish from the lake but I hear people say they wouldn't also. There is a mercury warning for the fish there.

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:10 PM »
they are ok to eat the mercury is in all of the lake around here just do not a ton each day your ok  ;D
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline Bardic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2014, 08:35 PM »
The signs around there warn of mercury, particularly the carp because they are bottom feeders, and the bass and catfish because they eat other fish and build up mercury faster. So no more than 1-2 meals of bass a week, or 1 of carp every two weeks or something. The trout, perch, and bluegill shouldn't be a problem.

I have also heard something about not swimming in it when they have the big algae blooms because of the type of algae, so maybe that also deters people from eating them.

Offline RTRSHOOTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:08 PM »
My girls and wife and I had the best luck with the red Swedish pimple tipped with worms. We were on the Nampa dam side at the west boat ramp. The edges of ice were still really solid. We hit the most fish between 9:30 and 11:00 a.m. The fish really died off after that. Hope to see everyone out there, if it stays this cold we'll be there next weekend for sure.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline J_T_M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:24 PM »
I will be out at the west dam tomorrow thanks for the info

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:02 AM »
I will be out at the west dam tomorrow thanks for the info

You gonna be on the northside of the west dam near the boat ramp? I actually haven't ever gone out there, but might have some time in the morning before going to a friend's house later in the day.
James

Offline Bigggcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm not a man prone to sharing my secrets.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Pretty slow at lowell today. 2 cats  2 bass. 15 or so perch. Only 6 made it to the oil. Fished the west side of the Nampa dam in 17 fow. Caught em on jiggin raps, buckshot rattling flyer spoons and cut bait and a hook. Nice day except for the lil wind we had.

Offline J_T_M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:36 PM »
You gonna be on the northside of the west dam near the boat ramp? I actually haven't ever gone out there, but might have some time in the morning before going to a friend's house later in the day.
I was, It was slow for me. I tried deep and shallow and could not find a hot depth or bite.

Offline Esto Perpetua

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I fished it yesterday for the first time.  I was about 60 yards off the west boat ramp at the Nampa dam.  Had a bit of action pounding the bottom with an orange Swedish pimple when I first got there, then a few nibbles on worms on jigs, also on the bottom.  I was using #6 and #8 hooks, but felt like I needed to go smaller.  Got disgusted after a couple of hours; went to the desert and shot cottontails instead.   :)

I'd like to try it again.  I've only caught trout out of Horsethief and Cascade so far this year.  It would be nice to find a reliable place close to home for perch, etc.

Offline rikasam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Caught 6-7 today, Nampa side. In 10ft water, only one keeper size. The bite happened around noon thirty. Used perch belly. 11in solid ice.

Offline Ramjetroger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:25 AM »
We fished LL yesterday, Nampa Dam side. It was dead. Did any one else who is on here fish there yesterday?
Let me know how you did if you would as I have a neighbor who may go with me if the fish come in. It is
nice to fish close to home without the long drive as long as you catch some. Also let me know if it picks up
again as there is a good 10 inches of solid ice.

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:19 PM »
will be in the morning on the east side will 5 of us
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline Bigggcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm not a man prone to sharing my secrets.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Decided to fish lowell today. Fished from 2 til dark. Caught about 25 perch. 1 crappie. Big ones were on the chew today for some reason. Kept 15. Most came on a glow lightning spoon tipped with maggots.  Fished 16 fow

Offline Orman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:55 AM »
 Fished friday 3pm till dark and sunday about the same time frame. 1st & 2nd time ever fishing Lowell as I just moved here. I pulled about 75 fish thru the hole on friday and 50 or so on sunday. I only kept about 20 each time, all 8-12 in. Fished 12-15ft deep and used a buckshot w/ cut bait on the Nampa side. Was nice to have fishing that good close to home. It is a little concerning that both times I saw guys leaving w/ buckets full of Perch, I would guess 75+. The fishing won't last if it gets too many of those big ones taken out, even if it is ok with the rule book. Just my opinion I know.

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Fished on Saturday and did really well on a jigging rap tipped with perch eye. Bigger fish were on the bite. Went out in same area today with marginal results. had a decent couple hours and the bite shut down. Ice is building though so should be good for a while.

Offline Orman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Fished Nampa side again monday afternoon for a couple hours. Lots of fish ranging from 5"-14" as long as I kept moving I had non stop action! Used a buckshot and cut bait again in 12-15 FOW, fishing is great, hope it keep going.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.