New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Clam Auger Adaptor kit for Lithium powered drill  (Read 3249 times)

Offline perchinator

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Auger Adaptor kit for Lithium powered drill
« on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Not happy............insta llation instructions reference "any auger"; adaptor that comes w/ kit installs after removing drill chuck (a major project) accomodates only 6" auger, not 4" as preferred.

Set it up w/ the 6".......drilled 12 holed thru 10' of ice before burning up the motor on a new 20 volt DeWalt drill w/ lithium battery.

Home Depot made good on the drill; sending kit back to Bass Pro

Anyone had a similar experience?

What's best/simplest way to convert auger to drill usage.

Offline klauricella

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam Auger Adaptor kit for Lithium powered drill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:30 AM »
You may want to post it on Ebay they are selling for more then what then sold for new. Have seen them sold for $140.

Kevin

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:28 AM »
buy a gas powered auger works much better.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:21 PM »
buy a gas powered auger works much better.
X2
Dream Catcher

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:08 PM »
I used my little Mikita 18 Lith for 3 years with a 6' laser .. got 30 hole with 2 batteries . Loved it .
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline Boosh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:38 PM »
  I have the clam auger attachment and run it with a Ryobi 18v lithium ion. i found i had to use the P104 battery (48wH) with a
6 inch lazer for best results. Should also make sure the drill is set to highest torque setting.. I have a bum wrist and this has been working
great!

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Mine is working fine so far with a 5" Lazer blade and a cheap 18v Kobalt lithium drill from Lowes. Tested it today on relatively thin 6" hard ice and got 53 holes much faster than by hand before it  ran the battery down. Don't know what it will be like in the long run and with thicker ice. For me (age 70) it is better than my heavier gas auger with the big blade. I guess it depends on your personal situation and fishing style. Have only used it 6 times and I'll know better how it holds up by late March. Good luck with your decision.

Offline oldiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:48 PM »
I seen a guy use one seemed to work good

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:20 AM »
personally I would just go get an electric auger.  By the time you pay for the adapter and a drill worthy of the task you could probably find a really good used electric auger that will drill the size holes you want.  Just my .02
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline gmuddle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Bought the Clam kit from Bass Pro and connected it to a 7" Mora hand auger.  Have drilled around 40 holes per day in 10+" of ice with Hitachi 18 volt 3 amp hour battery.  Very happy so far.

A word to the wise.  The chuck has to be removed from the drill by removing the screw down in the chuck.  Took my drill to a motor repair shop in Binghamton and he heated the screw head with a torch before turning it out (left-hand thread)  Many guys have messed up the screw head trying to remove the chuck

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:22 PM »
I also have an ice kicker II
thing is awesome.Only thing you have to be careful about is your wrist.Thing creates a lot of torque.But works like a charm.I carry 4 18v batteries.Never had to use more than 2 though.Can get more than 30 holes thru 10" of ice and haven't replaced my blades in 2 seasons.if I had new blades I could probably get close to 50 holes out of them.

Offline Walter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Best of both !
gear it down with the Ice Kicker II

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2015, 03:06 PM »
I bought the same exact set up with the same results.
After I removed the screw holding the chuck in it would not come out.I checked YouTube and they had a clip of how to remove it,They inserted the long end of a a 1/2" Allen wrench into the chuck ,held the drill on a bench and hit the 90* end with a 3lb hammer and when I say hit they hit it so hard I thought the drill would explode,It took him 3 swings to loosen the chuck.When they install the chuck at the factory they use permanent lock tight.I've since found out that not all augers work,I was using a 6" Nils and was getting 7 or 8 cleanly drilled holes through 8" of ice then it would start to bag down.The problem is that the angle of the cutting blades have to match the speed of the drill,Normal blades are at a deeper angle and the RPM,s are way faster then the blades are meant to cut.I bought the nils auger that is meant for a Ele. drill and it works perfect.You can cut a lot of holes without any problems but it is battery operated and does not last forever

Offline Walter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2015, 10:00 AM »
rondog

The new clam drill plate comes with a shaft that sticks up, no need to remove the chuck.
http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/new-for-2015/drill-auger-conversion-kit.html

"NEW for 2015 is the ability to use your drill without taking the chuck off"

Offline racerbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2015, 11:20 AM »
Just received mine yesterday, put it together in a few minutes, looks great, make sure when you order it is model #9935, it does require a 1/2" cordless drill. Not sure about the older models.
If we ever get below freezing here, I will let you know how it works.

Offline Walter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Going to build another one from scratch parts and use a camper 5th wheel landing gear gearbox, they are 3 to one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.