Author Topic: So called "Ice Line" ?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
So called "Ice Line" ?
« on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:58 AM »
I bought some Sufix Performance braid regular fishing line 10 lb test. Then I look at the stuff they call Sufix "Ice braid". Both say made with advanced digital Y6 braiding, both same Lb test, same dia. and equal to the same pound test mono, etc. The only difference I can see is they dye it a different color, give you less line, and charge more for it. I have a feeling it is quite the marketing ploy with most so called "ice fishing lines". get less line, pay more for a slightly different color line.

Offline cccc

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: So called "Ice Line" ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Let's put it this way:
Good lines can be fished throughout the year whether it is for softwater or through the ice.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:22 PM »
x2

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:52 PM »
from what ive found...the more you pay...the crappier the line..i buy mid priced line..and never a line that says ice anywhere on it.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I bought some Sufix Performance braid regular fishing line 10 lb test. Then I look at the stuff they call Sufix "Ice braid". Both say made with advanced digital Y6 braiding, both same Lb test, same dia. and equal to the same pound test mono, etc. The only difference I can see is they dye it a different color, give you less line, and charge more for it. I have a feeling it is quite the marketing ploy with most so called "ice fishing lines". get less line, pay more for a slightly different color line.
I've been telling people this since the first spool of "Ice Line" hit the market.  I've mentioned it in several threads here as well.
  As ice fishermen / women we're suckers for the next best thing to hit the shelves and with that, we're also impulse buyers due to the short season.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:56 PM »
On that particular line, it is the same thing only a different color.  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:06 PM »
Lets see I can buy Sufix performance braid 10 lb ice line 75 yards for $10.99 or I can buy regular sufix performance braid 10 lb 300 yards for $19

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:06 PM »
Yep  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Let's put it this way:
Good lines can be fished throughout the year whether it is for softwater or through the ice.

I would have to disagree here.

Braid lines absorb water. Lines filled with water in sub freezing temperatures are not a good mix. The line freezing can actually weaken its breaking strength.
Mono is another line that absorbs water, all be it not nearly as much as braid.

Fluoro and Nanofil are the only two lines i know of on the market that do not absorb water. Nanofil will give you the same # test to smaller diameter ratio like a braid does. But its not as friction resistant as fluoro.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:11 PM »
I would have to disagree here.

Braid lines absorb water. Lines filled with water in sub freezing temperatures are not a good mix. The line freezing can actually weaken its breaking strength.
Mono is another line that absorbs water, all be it not nearly as much as braid.

Fluoro and Nanofil are the only two lines i know of on the market that do not absorb water. Nanofil will give you the same # test to smaller diameter ratio like a braid does. But its not as friction resistant as fluoro.

Co-poly's do not absorb water. They are a mono line coated to avoid water absorption. Sufix ice magic is one.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:16 PM »
I like the ice magic also. But I just tried the seaguar abrasix ice flouro in 3# test and for my crappie and gill fishing I love it.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:16 PM »
The new super braids do not absorb water like the the old braided lines do, but yes they do absorb more than some of the newer mono. Still the point is the ones that say ice are the same as the cheaper line open water line no matter what type line.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:22 PM »
I use trilene XL and fireline...for both open water and ice fishing, never saw the need for ice-specific line - and i still don't.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:23 PM »
i get 2 reels spooled up with a 3 dollar spool of pline ice flouro.  i've really not found much of a better line for ice yet. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Yup, fluoro will be hard to beat.

I have tried new super braids, ice braids, mono, and ice lines

None seem to work as well as Fluoro lines.

I havent tried Nanofil yet, but have heard its works well and is a smaller diameter as well.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:33 PM »
I did try the suffix Ice fuse and will never waste my money on that crap again.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline JBL44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JBL44
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:55 PM »
I use DuPont Stren year round, hard to beat!
perchnut

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2014, 03:05 PM »
same here, i use  trilene XL or suffix on my summer rigs and use it on my winter ones as well. I don't see a need for "ice" line.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:35 PM »
If you look at there summer line and so called "ice" line and the dia. and lb test is the same, you can pretty much bet it is the same line maybe colored different.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Let's put it this way:

This

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:17 PM »
I believe they use a wax that keeps it from absorbing more water...... buy some of both and see which one ices up faster that is the real test..... I use to use trilene xl smooth casting and used it all year round till this year..... I bought suffix ice magic and used it on one rod and the trilene on the other  and the normal line iced up right away and the ice line hardly iced in one little spot it wasn't even noticeable.... I use the suffix ice magic only now..... for mono and trilene nanofil no braid......

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Guess who uses ICE LINE year around for fishing small plastics? Its thinner than normal mono, super limp, casts a mile, and doesn't stretch as much.

Sufix ice magic!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Let's put it this way:

I actually got some as a gift this year so I tried it on 3 traps, 3 other traps had the same pound test but the line was almost 2 years old, twice as much line and 30% less cost.

Can you guess which one did better?

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline nadia585

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:34 PM »
I like the micro ice

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:24 AM »
Trilene XL for my leaders, and the same on my soft water reels.  Never fell into the "ice line" ploy.  It just plain works
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:45 AM »
Sometimes we are the fish sometimes we are the fishermen.....

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Guess who uses ICE LINE year around for fishing small plastics? Its thinner than normal mono, super limp, casts a mile, and doesn't stretch as much.

Sufix ice magic!

By god I guess you are right, it appears it is .001" thinner per Lb test . It is also a mono filament line. I will guess using it in open water casting that it is not quite as abrasion resistant. One of the only lines I have actually seen a physical difference other than color. Unless they are blowing smoke, how many take a micrometer and measure the real diameter of there line? One thousandth of a inch difference. You would think if they can make a thinner Lb. test line why market it as only a ice line?

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Hi Gang!
  OK I have to chime in here about line.  Braid all braid ice or nit freezes up period.  I tried nano fil stren ice all of them all braid suck water and freeze.  What in gods name are you using 10 pound test for in the winter.  Ive seen guys catch 45" sturgeon on 4 pound mono.  Ok the difference between ice lines is how much silicone they add in the mix.  It all looks the same until you take it out at 0 degrees.  Then youll notice a difference.  Tip up line most of my buddies use that black dacron line.  It works better than braid they also tie a 36" floro carbon leaders onto there main line.  SO to recap its what you cant see in the line (silicon polymiers)  that makes it ice line or regular line.  Regular mono breaks alot easier in the cold than regular mono ice line!  Ice line in the heat of sumer will stretch like crazy when it gets warm then break.  Thats my 2 cenata worth and what I was told by a 3M chemist that makes the formulas for the line companies.
  Tight winter lines to you all!
  Da-Roc

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Ice line = the same line for summer, but twice as expensive for half the quantity.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Hi Gang!
  OK I have to chime in here about line.  Braid all braid ice or nit freezes up period.  I tried nano fil stren ice all of them all braid suck water and freeze.  What in gods name are you using 10 pound test for in the winter.  Ive seen guys catch 45" sturgeon on 4 pound mono.  Ok the difference between ice lines is how much silicone they add in the mix.  It all looks the same until you take it out at 0 degrees.  Then youll notice a difference.  Tip up line most of my buddies use that black dacron line.  It works better than braid they also tie a 36" floro carbon leaders onto there main line.  SO to recap its what you cant see in the line (silicon polymiers)  that makes it ice line or regular line.  Regular mono breaks alot easier in the cold than regular mono ice line!  Ice line in the heat of sumer will stretch like crazy when it gets warm then break.  Thats my 2 cenata worth and what I was told by a 3M chemist that makes the formulas for the line companies.
  Tight winter lines to you all!
  Da-Roc

The 10 Lb suffix performance braid is the same dia. as 4 Lb. mono. and some jigging Raps and bigger minnow type baits work best with a heavier line, Al Linder recommended using a 10Lb test mono for the best action on jigging Raps for walleye, it is the bigger diameter of the line that gives it a better side to side gliding action is what he said, but what does he know, lol. 4 Lb mono has too much stretch when jigging a heavy bait in 30 - 40 feet of water. I now use a 8Lb test flouro leader for walleye on my tip up's. Had too many big walleyes break me off with 6 Lb line. We all aren't fishing for Bluegill all the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.