Author Topic: jiffy 30 leak from diaphram .....but not  (Read 1102 times)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
jiffy 30 leak from diaphram .....but not
« on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:24 PM »
just a heads up. I have a jiffy 30..its an older one barely used. Anyway....I assumed the diaphram was leaking as the plastic elbow that is press fit into the bottom of the diaphram was dripping constantly. After replacing the diaphram with a new one etc. ......the leak still persisted.  I took off the little deflector that covers the carb throat directly above the diaphram and ran the engine.....sure enough gas was spewwing from the carb throat outward instead of into the engine yet the engine still runs well.....just a lot of gas dripping. The fuel is shooting out of the carb and being deflected upward and onto the bottom of the fuel tank...then...running down and dripping off the diaphram ..hence the thought of the diaphram leaking. I am still left with the question as to why all this fuel is not being draw into the engine via compression. Does anyone know why these jiffys do this ....ive heard of other guys with this same problem. Still cuts ice good though

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re: jiffy 30 leak from diaphram .....but not
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:58 PM »
It could be reed valve is bad or slightly stuck open Some of those older 30's ran a reed valve. Also setting the needle and seat correctly along with checking the carb number If this engine runs a F carb the diaphragm must be closest to needle and seat then the gasket before putting on Diaphragm cover. If this is reversed it will also flood out engine.  Even a set of badly worn rings will get this effect.  So you have a lot to look at.

Offline drewcifer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:41 AM »
Sounds like a bent needle or bad spring
Get the gaff

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2014, 01:57 PM »
just posting back to let you all know that it was the two bolts that hold the carb on are the same two bolts that pass through the reeds. When you take the bolts off to remove the carb you then see two threaded studs sticking out from the reed housing. When you remove the four torx headed  bolts and remove the reeds, those same two bolts are now seen on the backside of the reed housing, that you cannot see from the outside. Those bolts on my jiffy 30 were loose and caused the reeds to flop back and forth instead of being held tight against the reed housing. This loose reed set made fuel shoot out the carb and deflect off of the bottom of my fuel tank and run down onto the diaphram which appeared to be leaking but was not. Hope this helps someone that, like me, thought my diaphram was leaking from the bottom elbow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.