The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearing Questions  (Read 1056 times)

Offline tjmortenson

• IceShanty Rookie
Spearing Questions
« on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:39 PM »
So Im new here, but I've been reading here a while.  I've been spearing for a couple years, but I'm looking for some tips.  I've read some older threads and they are very informative, but I still got a few questions.  So what does everyone look for in a good spot to put your house?  I live on a lake with dirty yellow water, and sandy bottom.  There aren't many weeds but there is a spot with big submerged boulders thats the right depth, would that be good for northerns?  And what color decoy for dirty yellowish water?  According to the DNR, the clarity is 5 feet, but I don't believe that since I can see bottom pretty clear in 8-9 feet.  I have been out 5 or 6 times this year, and I've seen one fish.  My current decoys are yellow/orange, and the classic red/white, both about 7 inches long, what size/shape/color works good for you guys?  I've made a couple decoys so I plan on making some more soon.
Thanks!

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spearing Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:58 AM »
I mainly set up on a good weed bed. Find a drop off  with deep water near bye. If you gill fish try there. Sometimes i will scout the lake with tip ups looking for pike then set up. You might want to try a chartruse decoy or a live sucker.  Check this one out your home state http://www.laskasdecoys.com/  Good luck
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline tjmortenson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:16 AM »
ok, thanks for the tips.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:37 PM »
my favorite spots are in flats of about 2-3ft of weeds and 3-4ft of water then finding a pocket that dips down to about 7 to 10ft with no weeds and some sand or a log "perfect ambush spot that the pike love" my favorit tool by far to scout with is my aqua vu. I also firmly believe that if ur not seeing bait you should move, I constantly have pan fish moving through my hole. As crazy as it seems there are fish run ways and if you can get on one the pike will have to show up. I like spearing near the pan fisherman but not too close (about 50 - 100 yards away) they help keep the fish moving.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.