New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: The Life of Buck Pond  (Read 2479 times)

Offline bggetem

• IceShanty Rookie
The Life of Buck Pond
« on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:26 AM »
I remember when I was a kid, I use to Love ice fishing with my Grandfather. We would walk to the back of Buck, to set up in front of the cat tails. Some how, some way, he could regularly land 10-12 pound sweet meat northern's , as I would be schooled by landing the ones without so much fight in them. The past 4 or 5 yrs., I've tried to hit up Buck Pond, and have gotten the short end of the stick every time. I know a lot can change in 20 yrs., although is it really over for the place that birthed my passion for the ice? Are the Northern's no longer there?

Offline justfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where should I fish today??
Re: The Life of Buck Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Not many. Friend of mine tries it once in a while with not much luck. Yea we used to have a lot of fun there also. 

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2014, 11:41 AM »
The Channel used to stay open to the lake more.  As a teen, we used to fish Buck over Braddocks because the action was so good.  We used to get the occasional dogfish or giant Largemouth too. 

Offline tve

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have jigs will travel
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2014, 12:48 PM »
I think the fireman from the old firehouse would use their hoses to blow open the channel

Offline rufishn2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:47 AM »
There are pike in there still. I landwed a 38" this past fall. I think the key is to fish it often till you hit the day. Very weedy so keep live bait out of the weeds.
team "off all winter"

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:15 AM »
is this the buck pond up north near saranac ? If so, we used to camp there when i was a kid, at the state site, Did very well on pike, always caught alot and my uncle, who i was in the boat with had the biggest pike i ever saw on and lost him at the boat, what a fish, anyway i loved that pond for pike fishing.

Offline lbjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:15 AM »
shiners for the pike?

Offline Deggert60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I believe this is about Buck Pond in Rochester, NY.
-Eggs

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Grew up fishing beaver pond which is buck pond by the park way. Always pike, small mouth and large mouth bass, trout too!! Its been open to the lake for a couple weeks now so it might be worth another try. Might be some big perch there as well. Ohh I also saw salmon in there this fall.

Offline bggetem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Grew up fishing beaver pond which is buck pond by the park way. Always pike, small mouth and large mouth bass, trout too!! Its been open to the lake for a couple weeks now so it might be worth another try. Might be some big perch there as well. Ohh I also saw salmon in there this fall.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try. I really want to start getting the pike out of there again. I know it use to be some big ones there in there. Now its been open, I may have a shot

Offline Pappy24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:36 AM »
Fished Eastman  pond on MLK Day. 2 small bluegills and lost a LMB.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:00 AM »
One thing to remember, back in the heyday of Buck Pond  (Greece NY) when I was a young kid and teenager from the mid 1970's to thru the 1980's - PIKE fishing was hot - numerous and big ones too.   Increasing Lake Ontario levels coupled with a huge flood back in 1972 which raised Lake Ontario and the surrounding ponds that spring due to Hurricane Agness as well as higher overall Lake Ontario levels which HELPED the pike population and spawning success. Look at the Lake Ontario level chart during this timeframe

These ponds and the lakeshore flooded heavily opening them up to Lake Ontario and opened up HUGE shallow weedy areas for pike to spawn and they took advantage of it. It flooded so bad in 1972 that it was the reason why the sandbags and eventually rocks were placed there and along the other ponds along the shoreline along Edgemere Dr.   Starting in the 1970's, the pike population rocketed as a result.  That pond was packed with people catching big pike.    Then, the lake levels started to stabilize and when the outlet stayed shut by the sandbar, it didn't allow spawning size pike to enter the pond to spawn.   In addition, over the years, the dynamics of this lake have changed.   It is have become extremely eutrophic.  There are weed matts and trees growing OUT in the middle of the pond in areas where we used to fish years ago.  The organic material and silt has slowly been settling and filling up this shallow pond.   

High levels of Lake Ontario and then low levels are needed and healthy for wildlife and fish.   Unfortunately, the rich taxpaying lake owners bulit McMansions along the lake where there were just seasonal cottages for many years.  Now they complain that the lake is destroying their property and we are being held hostage by their interests.  Well, IMHO - many should not have built where they did, and when they did, they did so without taking precautions against Lake Ontario but that is another story and obviously, the controversy about Lake Ontario water height management continues.

Offline Deggert60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:49 AM »
One thing to remember, back in the heyday of Buck Pond  (Greece NY) when I was a young kid and teenager from the mid 1970's to thru the 1980's - PIKE fishing was hot - numerous and big ones too.   Increasing Lake Ontario levels coupled with a huge flood back in 1972 which raised Lake Ontario and the surrounding ponds that spring due to Hurricane Agness as well as higher overall Lake Ontario levels which HELPED the pike population and spawning success. Look at the Lake Ontario level chart during this timeframe

(Image removed from quote.)

These ponds and the lakeshore flooded heavily opening them up to Lake Ontario and opened up HUGE shallow weedy areas for pike to spawn and they took advantage of it. It flooded so bad in 1972 that it was the reason why the sandbags and eventually rocks were placed there and along the other ponds along the shoreline along Edgemere Dr.   Starting in the 1970's, the pike population rocketed as a result.  That pond was packed with people catching big pike.    Then, the lake levels started to stabilize and when the outlet stayed shut by the sandbar, it didn't allow spawning size pike to enter the pond to spawn.   In addition, over the years, the dynamics of this lake have changed.   It is have become extremely eutrophic.  There are weed matts and trees growing OUT in the middle of the pond in areas where we used to fish years ago.  The organic material and silt has slowly been settling and filling up this shallow pond.   

High levels of Lake Ontario and then low levels are needed and healthy for wildlife and fish.   Unfortunately, the rich taxpaying lake owners bulit McMansions along the lake where there were just seasonal cottages for many years.  Now they complain that the lake is destroying their property and we are being held hostage by their interests.  Well, IMHO - many should not have built where they did, and when they did, they did so without taking precautions against Lake Ontario but that is another story and obviously, the controversy about Lake Ontario water height management continues.

Awesome info, very informative
-Eggs

Offline bggetem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:34 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I had no ideal that all that had transpired  within Buck Pond due to the flood of the lake.I Thank you for the info. Now piece by piece, since my question, things are starting to come together.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.