The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: When to clean the catch?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
When to clean the catch?
« on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:59 PM »
When does everyone clean their fish? Do you wait till you get home? Do it on the ice? Do it on shore at the end of the day?

It drives my wife nuts when I bring fish home and clean them inside. I have cleaned a few trout on the ice before--- with frozen fingers.

Curious as to how/when others clean their fish.

Offline HuntMT4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: When to clean the catch?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:32 PM »
I clean all my fish at home in the kitchen after a day on the ice.  Nothing worse than cleaning a frozen fish on a frozen lake.  Plus, plug in fillet knife makes cleaning fish easier in my opinion.

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:40 PM »
I clean in the kitchen sink also.my wife has a favorite board I use  its ok to use as long as I'm cleaning some perch. She and the kids just love them...
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline HuntMT4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:45 PM »
I just make sure that the guts and skins etc. into a plastic bag so that it gets taken out right away.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:42 PM »
A "fish specific cooler" insures they make it home cool and never frozen. A quick cup of warm liquid, then to cleaning, and never to bed before the fish are cleaned.     ;D

The cooler set-up is important: 2"-3" layer of shavings/snow, a rack to support the fish out of liquid goo. Water logged fish are not fer consumption by humanoids.    :woot: :roflmao:

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:46 PM »
I get the basement kitchen... works out pretty good to have a kitchenette area down there. But I get em home and thaw them out first.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Water logged fish are not fer consumption by humanoids.    :woot: :roflmao:

I usually catch fish that have been in the water for several years so I'm pretty sure they are already "waterlogged".  I just run a slush bucket for smaller fish and let bigger fish freeze on the ice.  Fish thaw in the bathtub when I get home and fillet them in the kitchen.  I clean up any mess I make and the wife is ok with it as I leave it better than I found it.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I just have the wife clean the fish.

Right... ::)

Offline HuntMT4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I don't believe I could get away with the bath tub...

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:01 PM »
...  Fish thaw in the bathtub when I get home and fillet them in the kitchen.  I clean up any mess I make and the wife is ok with it as I leave it better than I found it.

Jay

I just read that to my wife--- she said if I scrub the bathtub and clean the kitchen SPOTLESS--- I could do that to! Said it would be a great way to get me to clean the bathroom!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:02 PM »
If I'm after eater pike ill fillet them on the ice, all other fish come home and get filleted in the kitchen.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:31 PM »
I just read that to my wife--- she said if I scrub the bathtub and clean the kitchen SPOTLESS--- I could do that to! Said it would be a great way to get me to clean the bathroom!

She catches them too.  She even skins the fillets and vacuum packs the fillets.  She hunts, she fishes, she likes my brand of beer, and even has a job and makes >60k/year.  She's all mine and I'd kill for her.  She's my partner!

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline HuntMT4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:36 PM »
My wife catches fish, shots critters and helps butcher them all. Pretty great set up in my opinion!

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:56 PM »

Kitchen with a beer.  Guts etc go into freezer bag for trapping.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I like to keep them alive and clean them in the kitchen when I get home.

I have a big utility sink in my basement I can thaw fish if they happen to freeze.

Offline jhammer5150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:14 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Electric fillet knife, deep sink in garage!! Used to clean them in the kitchen, wife didn't seem to mind, but...  ;)
FISH ARE WHERE YOU FIND THEM

Offline icefishnaddct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I just have the wife clean the fish.

I do believe you have the best set up that has been posted so far. I need to get one of those gals!

Right... ::)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I usually catch fish that have been in the water for several years so I'm pretty sure they are already "waterlogged".
Jay
Probably not waterlogged, they'd drown. Near the skin are many tiny pumps that are constantly pumping out water. When death occurs, the pumps stop. All the more reason to keep dead fish out of water. Freeze 'em dry, cover with water the next day, they last for years sealed that way. Allow for draining as defrosting takes place. This type of care saves much popping if deep fried.  Eat them fresh but, keeping them cold and drained really adds to the quality.  Enjoy.    ;)2

Tom

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Most trips consist of several days so they are cleaned at camp thruout the day and put into zip locks then rinsed and vacuum packed at home.  Otherwise I fillet at home in the garage and thaw if needed in the wash basin in the garage.  Building a detached 2 car garage with living quarters on the back 1/4 of the property this coming summer so I'm building in a Teflon/stainless steel fillet/butcher table that will be located near the wash basin.  Also purchased a 5'x5' walk in cooler that's going in there.  It's going to be so nice I might just sleep out there too ;) -OH

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Probably not waterlogged, they'd drown. Near the skin are many tiny pumps that are constantly pumping out water. When death occurs, the pumps stop. All the more reason to keep dead fish out of water. Freeze 'em dry, cover with water the next day, they last for years sealed that way. Allow for draining as defrosting takes place. This type of care saves much popping if deep fried.  Eat them fresh but, keeping them cold and drained really adds to the quality.  Enjoy.    ;)2

Tom

So.....

Why do commercial fishermen keep their fish in refrigerated saltwater while out at sea?  Wouldn't that "water-log" them as you say?  Why do commercial fishermen use a saltwater slush system to keep their fish for multiple days at sea?  No, you don't want them dead in warm water for extended lengths of time but I don't see where a reasonable amount of water time hurts them.

My process is fillet, wash to remove blood/scales/other, put into a bowl in refrigerator for up to a couple of hours (draining fluids off every 1/2 hour), once the fish have drained all blood and excess water they are vacuum sealed into meal sized packages and frozen flat to stack easily in the freezer.  If I am out in the field on a multi day trip and fillet them before we get home I follow the same ritual but package them in zip-locks with as much air squeezed out as possible and are frozen in our camper.  Once we are home the zipper on the bag is cut off and the entire bag then vacuum packed.

I have Yellowtail I caught in Mexico in '08 that tastes as good today as it did on the boat the day I caught it.  Only 3 packages left so I'll have to go on a long range trip again soon.  I feed 60-80 people a year doing fish fry's (I work in the oil field and feed the crews that work for me several times a year) and I don't have any complaints and even have people who are "non fish eaters" coming back for a second plate.  I'll keep doing it my way till it doesn't work anymore.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:06 PM »
5 years is way impressive for fish!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:38 PM »
5 years is way impressive for fish!

I'm kind of a vacuum pack freak.  All bags are double sealed on both ends.  I double seal all my ocean fish that I get from the processors when it gets home (aka I put the vacuum packed fish in a new double sealed bag and vacuum pack it too) as well as sealing all my deer/elk steaks the same way.  I'm surprised my machine hasn't had the heating element go out in it yet as much as it gets used!

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2014, 12:08 AM »
I think you're both correct. Latest preservation method is "glazing" which involves flash freezing a fish immed. after cleaning and then spraying with fresh water and freezing again. Result is an ice coated fishcicle which keeps any air away from the flesh, both inside and outside the carcass. Fresh whole shrimp are noted to be extremely difficult to keep fresh once frozen and the glazing method is being used there with excellent results. I've kept whole frozen trout fresh in frozen water for years as well. Can't see the claim for "water logging" as I've never experienced that one. But I too fished the ocean and pack all my halibut and cod in vacuum bags and they will maintain flovor for several years as long as the bags don't lose the seal. Good quality bags are the key here. And yes, the commercial gillnetters (done that) do slush their catch using super chilled ice and salt water which lowers the temp even further, but they handle volume and try to sell as soon as possible, usually with 3-4 days max. Commercial trollers do NOT pack wet because the excess liquid will cause them to slime and lose appearance with time, so they pack in ice on racks and drained decks because they may stay out to sea for several weeks. Just my experiences........ love my vacuum packer!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:16 AM »
So.....

Why do commercial fishermen keep their fish in refrigerated saltwater while out at sea?  Wouldn't that "water-log" them as you say?

I'll keep doing it my way.

Jay

Last time I checked commercial fishermen get paid by the pound.  Water and salt is cheap and adds weight for a better pay day. For that reason, I don't contribute to them that employ that tactic, but usually it's gill-netters.    :sick:

Your way of handling fish is proper, Jay.    ;)2

Now, what about the pumps ?     

Or, we can just put that to rest.   

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:23 AM »
Which unit ( vacuum sealer ) you guys have the best luck with?

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:36 AM »
I usually get them cleaned at home when the fish are still frozen but sometimes the will just barley be thawed out. I actually think they are easier to clean when still frozen but thats just me. Then I freeze them in water in a ziplock. It would be nice to have a good vaccuum sealer.

MTA

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Which unit ( vacuum sealer ) you guys have the best luck with?

I'm at work for a couple of more days but the unit I have is a FoodSaver model I got at WM 6 or 7 years ago.  Once this one burns out I'll be getting a commercial grade one.  Might not be as portable but I heard good thing on a few bigger ones.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline tyrinnysaurus rex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2014, 11:16 AM »
I don't have to clean them because I release them all.  Doesn't anyone else release fish anymore?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Piss off

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:28 PM »
There was another thread here somewhere about vacuum sealers, but I have a Cableas commercial grade and it works very well. Great thing about them is that they are rebuildable with repair kits as needed. Just replaced the heat strip and seal in mine after 5 years of heavy use. Also found out that Cabelas is made by Wesson (Weston?). Wesson brand is a bit cheaper (surprise!!) and they also sell better quality bags than Food Saver's. Just got some sample bags from another outfit and they look great, but I haven't tried them yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.