Author Topic: Well I'm in now  (Read 526 times)

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well I'm in now
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:09 PM »
And I haven't even hit the water.

I bought the 3 Celcius combos the other day figuring my son would take one. He doesn't care what he uses. And, the pflueger trion in a 20 size is no longer made with the extra spool so I hit a couple of stores and picked up 3.At Cabela's I got a 13fishing Whitenoise MEdium 26" rod. I really liked the balance of the flex in the rod. I have no idea what I am looking for, but I liked the real seat, the flex pattern in the rod, etc. The color was a plus. So, now I have one nice setup and a couple of the $13 setups. Plus I could always use one of my really soft open water poles if we are fishing outside.  I picked up a series of jigs and lures from both sportsmans and Cabelas and ordered an Eskimo 8" hand auger from Sportsmans with free ship to store. For line I bought a selection so I could try out different lines. No super lines. Some Suffix ice, Bionic Ice and Trilene Ice. I already have trilene XL which I use on several poles during open water. I figured I would try some different types to see how they react.

So, here I am with all this equipment and I won't be able to go for a bit. Need to finish the new dog house today and leave to Alaska for a few days tomorrow.

It's all your fault and hopefully the wife doesn't walk into the man cave, fishing room. It was hard enough to explain the 8 rods lined up on the wall. Now there are 4 more. At least they are cheaper than some of my other rods.
James

Offline Bardic

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Well I'm in now
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Yeah, I know how it goes with the wife. Kept telling her I should get 5 of them for ice fishing, but she didn't realize you could use all 5, she thought I was still limited to 2 with my dual pole validation. I settled on 1 I received for for Christmas, 2 ugly sticks from sportsmans, then I zip tied the reel from my 10' crappie pole to the end segment of said pole, and lastly I have one of those As seen on TV Pocket Fisherman things if I really get bored.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Well I'm in now
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I always tell her that they get cold and shrink in the winter ;)
(doesn't really work to well cause she fishes too  ::) )

You're welcome for the obsession, I am currently in a ratty motel for the weekend all because of ice fishing, and of course the fish aren't cooperating.

Ice lines are always a big cause of discussion, personally I like the Trilene Micro Ice best for the smaller diameters and XL for anything over 6.  The GF uses that Bionic Ice camo with the blue/clear pattern, that stuff looks slicker than oil and she really likes the sensitivity, hasn't had a complaint yet.  I think the biggest thing is finding something you're comfortable with it will make you fish better no matter what.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.