Author Topic: just a gripe  (Read 2017 times)

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
just a gripe
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:39 AM »
I went looking on the fish and game page to find where I can fish for pike. I came across the F&G page with a list of where there is pike. I then went to the depth maps and looked up a couple ponds only to find that the state does stock them however there is no public access. Dodge Pond in Lyman to name one, there are more. Can anyone tell me Why the state stocks fish that we as license purchasers pay for and we can not fish for? I think of all the things that the state does, This is the thing that ticks me off the most. Please if anyone knows please tell me why they do this?
PB

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: just a gripe
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:45 AM »
Good ?, I think ogontz lake is on the list too, better parking there though I heard dodge pond has some big ones. It does get annoying,  :-\
Salmonemia

Offline FirstTimer1311

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live free and fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:51 AM »
By public access do you mean a boat ramp or any access at all I've always found the benefit to ice fishing is if you find a pull off it's easy to access! Also if you want monsters heard they were pulling some good ones out of Moore dam
Fishing...........even the word is relaxing

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:22 AM »
I feel a Spofford Lake topic coming up again........
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I went looking on the fish and game page to find where I can fish for pike. I came across the F&G page with a list of where there is pike. I then went to the depth maps and looked up a couple ponds only to find that the state does stock them however there is no public access. Dodge Pond in Lyman to name one, there are more. Can anyone tell me Why the state stocks fish that we as license purchasers pay for and we can not fish for? I think of all the things that the state does, This is the thing that ticks me off the most. Please if anyone knows please tell me why they do this?
PB

Agreed completely. Clark's has a few good comments about (lack of) access for some lakes.
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline Brookie442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I completely agree. They should not be stocking private lakes.  I don't mind walking/hiking in to some spots but I don't like paying for something I can't use. 

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Dodge isn't that difficult to access, been up there several times in the past from cape cod

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:33 PM »
Does the state of NH really stock pike?

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:33 PM »
 ::)   A resident license is 35 and non resident is 53... How about appreciating the hundreds of other ponds, lakes and rivers we have to fish instead of complaining about the few we cant? Luckily we don't live in a state where ya have to drive 200+ miles to fish the closest water body.  People say I/WE don't or shouldn't be paying to do this or do that....But Really.... people make it sound like F&G knocks on your door and asks you to open your wallet every time... A resident license costs ya less than $3 a month a non resident is less than $5.... Look what you get for that price... Guess I'm just tired of the pissen and moanin and decided to do a little myself.

What do people expect for $ 35-53 these days?

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Keith, you are absolutely right about the amount of money.

But I think the issue here is the perceived fairness. If you live on a lake that has no public access, why should all the license paying populous pay for your private pond / lake to be stocked?

On a more practical note, if the state stopped stocking ALL bodies of water with no credible access to the public, it may motivate the residents to maybe allow access to all just to get on the "Stocked pond / river" list.

(Btw, speaking of pike, I would much rather the State stocked pike in Southern NH instead of the trout in all bodies of water that cannot support the trout - and their spawning.)

“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I get what people are saying about stocking lakes with no access but when they say my/our money... what amount of "your/our" $ 35-53 is actually being spent on those couple particular lakes?

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Oh no! Here we go again................. ..........

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:20 PM »
I get what people are saying about stocking lakes with no access but when they say my/our money... what amount of "your/our" $ 35-53 is actually being spent on those couple particular lakes?
If there is no public access any amount is too much.

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:48 PM »
If there is no public access any amount is too much.

For anyone who is that upset...next time you see me I'll give ya a quarter...that should cover it. ;)

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:54 PM »
For anyone who is that upset...next time you see me I'll give ya a quarter...that should cover it. ;)
Its the principal. I dont need your quarters.

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Its the principal. I dont need your quarters.

Just kidding Tony... just saying when it comes to a particular pond each persons individual contribution is probably 2c. Some people act as though theyre asking for your wallet.

Personally I wish there were King Salmon and Steelhead here in NH... but obviously there isn't. I don't complain I drive 6 hrs to NY and pay for a license there and fish.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:09 PM »
I hear ya. No worries.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:20 PM »
What was that, you said, Pat??  ;)2

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:24 PM »
I hear ya. No worries.

No problem Bud... Nothing personal towards anyone. Just stating that for the small price we pay for a license we have literally hundreds of various opportunities to fish.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:27 PM »
No problem Bud... Nothing personal towards anyone. Just stating that for the small price we pay for a license we have literally hundreds of various opportunities to fish.
:thumbsup:

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:32 PM »
What was that, you said, Pat??  ;)2

What, huh, who, me?!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I think Keith needs to put a "P&M at F&G" thread and pin it at the top so when someone gets upset they can go their to vent. Kind of like a forum punching bag. I mean I feel everyone's pain, but this had been hit at least 3 times already THIS SEASON. I know I've emailed fish and Game about some ideas and concerns. Even told them to look at the board as to the unhappiness of the sportsman of the state of NH and some of the ideas floating around. I mean, something is better than just P&Ming on here about it. No offence to anyone. Send an email. Not going to hurt and the more the merrier.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2014, 11:54 AM »
8 or 10 inch...i want the horse one more time
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:50 PM »

Just kidding Tony... just saying when it comes to a particular pond each persons individual contribution is probably 2c. Some people act as though theyre asking for your wallet.

Personally I wish there were King Salmon and Steelhead here in NH... but obviously there isn't. I don't complain I drive 6 hrs to NY and pay for a license there and fish.

I agree as well.
I think it's a matter of "non-linear" thinking.

We perceive the problem RIGHT NOW and fail to consider that we are feeling cheated out of ONE pond, for ONE day when we have hundreds of other ponds and hundreds of other ponds/lakes that can be fished.
I thought about it, and then figured "Why should I get upset about a pond that I can't get to, when I have so many other ponds that contain the same fish, and may be even closer to me?"

Sure, the lack of public access is an issue.
Sure, we shouldn't pay for stocking a pond that the public can't get to to fish.
Fortunately, the access restriction in most cases just means that there is no public parking access.
So, in other words, if you can get onto the ice you can fish it!
(Just be mindful of any private property boundaries!)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:18 PM »
I want you to also know it is nothing personal either I need the money Keith, How many times will you pay out? I will quit my job and just complain just keep the quarters coming. LOL  But really If there is no access to the public then I want You Troutfisherman why the state should stock a pond with fish  that the fishermen's license fees pay for. If you give me a legit answer then I will stop my pissing and moaning. But I don't think you can. their may be a few that can access these ponds/lakes via friends that live on those ponds/lakes but that is not a legit answer nor is it fair. I know it gets a little personal when I type in Troutfisherman but that is /was not my intent just playing with ya.

PB

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:49 AM »
i think it is more or less those of us that feel cheated out of fishing pike waters when we have so very few, not to stir the pot. maybe it is just a gripe with the way f&g stock while i comend them on a job well done on alot of the things they do, maybe some changes are in order for some others. just food for thought  :tipup: happy fishing ladies  ;D
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Nh does not stock pike. My family is from the Lyman area access to the ponds is quite easy. Remember the days when we didn't have computers and we would go look for access. It's still that easy
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:02 AM »
I think the goal is for NHF&G to improve the overall fishery here in NH. If that includes stocking a pond that is hard to access, then so be it. It will benefit someone. If we complain about stocking a certain pond, do you really think they will take those fish and put them somewhere else? No, they will just take it off the stocking list. We should all be grateful they stock at all and leave it at that. Not to mention, if you really need to complain about the way NHF&G does things, there are probably a hundred more aggravating things they do with our money than stocking a limited access waterbody.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.