Author Topic: Spud bar recomendation  (Read 4579 times)

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spud bar recomendation
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Like the title says. I am looking to get a spud bar. Mostly for checking safe ice as I walk.
I was doing some searching around and like everything else there are a million to choose from
Long, short, 1 piece, 2 piece, wood handled etc...
Does anyone have any that they prefer as I'd rather not buy a gimmick.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re: Spud bar recomendation
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Jiffy, Eskimo they all make a good Ice Chisel.  Look for those who have steps in the cutting edge and a bevel to one side only.  Then make sure you use a rope around the wrist or for sure you will say goodbye to it as it slips down a hole someday. 

Check these out

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/catalog/mille-lacs-ice-chisels,22.htm

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=Chisels

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Thanks cold feet. Orchard park hugh. I'm a Bills fan. Been there a few times.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Mike,

Look for the Jiffy Mille Lacks i just got one my self for the very reasons you stated.

Total length is 52". Which seems perfect for prodding early ice, and chipping out old holes.
Weight is 4lb 5oz.

Here is the Business End:

Here is the handle. I picked up some tennis racket handle wrap at wal mart on the clearance rack. Just saw it walking buy. Rubbery sticky backed tape like stuff. Comes with enough to do a couple layers to give you a good grip and hopefully keep the vibrations down. I figure if its good enough for Roger Federer its good enough for my spud.

Came with a nice blade cover to that im sure to lose on my first trip.

Total length is 52". Which seems perfect for prodding early ice, and chipping out old holes.
Weight is 4lb 5oz.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:17 AM »
Thanks baitbucket. Good looking spud. Thanks for the good pics I was curios as to what that head looked like up close.
Nice grip. Federer would be proud. Dont forget a wrist lanyard so it doesn't end up on the bottom.

Offline JoshR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:50 PM »
http://frabill.com/ice-chisels-1/9000.html

I found this full size Frabill spud bar at a local sporting goods store. Best part? It's only $20 which is a lot cheaper than most others that I've seen. I tied a rope around the end to attach to my wrist so it doesn't go through the ice. I'd recommend it. It works and it's cheap!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:56 PM »
I have the same Jiffy Mille Lacs as BaitBucket... peace of mind when venturing out alone. I don't leave home without it, regardless of reported ice conditions.

Great for opening up old holes... that stepped edge really chews up ice.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:16 PM »
http://frabill.com/ice-chisels-1/9000.html

I found this full size Frabill spud bar at a local sporting goods store. Best part? It's only $20 which is a lot cheaper than most others that I've seen. I tied a rope around the end to attach to my wrist so it doesn't go through the ice. I'd recommend it. It works and it's cheap!

That looks great. And it also has that stepped chisel that the others have. Cant beat 20$.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:27 PM »
For twenty bucks that a great buy.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:33 PM »
For twenty bucks that a great buy.

Not to many things out there for 20 bucks hugh. Again my main concern is checking ice with it so at 20$ seems like a no brainer.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I like the longer ones because it extends your reach and hits with more force since there's more weight to it.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:12 PM »
I like the longer ones because it extends your reach and hits with more force since there's more weight to it.

That 20$ one is 55" or so. Thats should be pretty good for reach.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:36 PM »
I saw the Frabill one when i was looking. Couldnt find one in stock anywhere.

I got the one I posted above for $40 w/free shipping
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:24 PM »
http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=CH7*89**Economy_Chisel

Another good deal. The Frabill has that serrated chisel though.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:31 PM »
i returned the redneck one version and went with
http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=CH7
about half the weight and easy to bring forward holding just the top with one hand
the other is harder to use with one hand
i was glad gander mountain took it back. it was an on line order and i didn't know how it was balanced

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:51 PM »

+1 I have the Mille Lacs deluxe or whatever it is called. It was the longest and heaviest spud I saw. I chip through a lot of ice with this spud bar, opening old holes is a non-issue.

I love the bar, I am never on the ice without it. I did have to fix the yellow boot on the end of mine. The chisel tips cut right through the holder.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:15 AM »
Bought the Eskimo 2 piece mainly so it would be easier to stow in the sled when I'm not using it.  No complaints about it so far.

Offline The Walri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Picked up a Milles lacs chisel and had it out for the first time yesterday.  Did great chiseling holes in 4-5" with ease.  could draw water with 3-4 hits.  Definitely need to wrap something around the grip though as your hand tends to slid down it into the metal ring.   

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:31 PM »
I know that it is easy to go out and buy a chisel from a big box store, but seriously, getting someone in your area to locally make you a chisel is one of the best things that you could do. The one I have was made in the late 80's and is still good! It is the perfect weight for me, and the edge is sharpened every year to make sure that it destroys ice really quick. At the same time, it isnt flimsy and I use it for a prybar all the time without fear of it bending. This is something that I will never do with my dad's Jiffy chisel.

All in all, I am sure that you will be fine with a name brand chisel, but seriously. Ask around and see if anyone in your area is making chisels.. if taken care of, it will last you a lifetime and you won't regret it.

My 2 cents..

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2014, 05:19 PM »
I have used the Redneck and the Jiffy Mille Lac. When it was time to buy I chose the Jiffy because it was easier to cut the ice. The Frabil lookis like an imitation Jiffy for $20 less. I would still buy a Jiffy because it is American Made. The Frabil and Redneck chisels are Chinese.

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Just to check ice thickness, I made a "ice probe" from 4 ft length of  1/2" rebar.

I ground a point with 4 flats, like a pyramid.  The shape seems to hold the point better than a pencil shape.

Drilled out a piece of round wood for a grip.
Gorilla glued the grip on the rebar and wrapped it with cord for comfort.  Also drilled a hole for a wrist loop.
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2014, 03:45 PM »

I picked up 2 Eskimos for my buds that didn't have or lost their spuds and they are fine, but we only use them to test ice thickness early and late and possible iffy pressure cracks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.