The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: This weekend is for the sure footed!  (Read 1303 times)

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
This weekend is for the sure footed!
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:42 AM »
There's some serious wind expected over the weekend fellas. Bring all of your ice screws and cleats. You are going to need it!

http://www.kxlh.com/news/100-mph-winds-possible-in-montana-this-weekend/
Fish Ninja

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
Re: This weekend is for the sure footed!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Sounds like honey-do type of a weekend  >:(

MTA

Offline Polar Hawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:50 AM »
This weekend going out on the ice is my Honey Do. I stayed home last weekend and drove my wife nuts. So this weekend she told me to go fishing!!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Yep, sounds like bad business on the ice this weekend. Weather data from G'Town about an hour ago said 14mph with 27mph gusts. If the weatherman is correct, that will be nothing compared to what is forecasted for tomorrow. Constant 30 - 40 mph with gust in the 60+ range & 48 - 51 degrees with rain/rain snow mix. May be a good watch football play couch potato day...............

Offline jake1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Was out the other day with my new 949.  no wind so we just staked down the two corners on the breezy side.  Then a storm came in like a rocket with 30-40mph winds.  We learned we should always stake the corners and at least the two sides.  Once we did this, there seemed to be an awful lot of down pressure on the sides and top.  the cords that come with it appear to be too short and to get it good and tight, it pulls the sides down, along with the wind rolling over the top.  I was thinking of some poles at hub height and position them about a foot out from the 949 and have the rope go from the hub over the pole and then down to the anchor.  Is this necessary or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Hmmm... The Saturday NWS forecast from Helena to Townsend is for 5 to 10 mph winds with a high temp of 45.  My biggest challenge is making it from my front door to the truck without landing on my keester.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Was out yesterday, playing with tip up setups on CF and forgot my cleats.  One of the most helpless feelings in my life.  35mph gusts and snot slick ice.   Felt like puppet.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Was out the other day with my new 949.  no wind so we just staked down the two corners on the breezy side.  Then a storm came in like a rocket with 30-40mph winds.  We learned we should always stake the corners and at least the two sides.  Once we did this, there seemed to be an awful lot of down pressure on the sides and top.  the cords that come with it appear to be too short and to get it good and tight, it pulls the sides down, along with the wind rolling over the top.  I was thinking of some poles at hub height and position them about a foot out from the 949 and have the rope go from the hub over the pole and then down to the anchor.  Is this necessary or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I like to use bungee cords attached to the hub

Offline Shakedown St.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Was out yesterday, playing with tip up setups on CF and forgot my cleats.  One of the most helpless feelings in my life.  35mph gusts and snot slick ice.   Felt like puppet.

Based on your post...all of the snow is gone on CF?

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Based on your post...all of the snow is gone on CF?
Yeah its pretty funky out there.  Slick, slick, slick and then crunchy and wet later in the day.  Fun stuff.

Offline Shakedown St.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:52 PM »
Thanks for the update MTwh!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.