Author Topic: Waterproof mitten/gloves  (Read 628 times)

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Waterproof mitten/gloves
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 04:33 AM »
Does anyone know of a warm , waterproof mitten/glove that the thumb tip folds back as well as the fingers? I found a pair at Gander Mountain but they weren't waterproof. I also don't want wool or knit because ice jigs always seem to get hooked in them. Thanks

Offline Rob M-O

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Waterproof mitten/gloves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:00 AM »
I kind of stumbled into a set up that seemed to work really well.  I have always used fleece fingerless gloves and when I got cold I would take them off and put on mittens.

The other morning when it was -10 up here, I tried these knit work gloves that have rubberized palms and finger tips.  They kept my fingers dry when I was handling shiners but they were not that warm.  So then I pulled my fingerless gloves on over them, so I had rubber coated finger tips sticking out. 

And, I'll be damned, but they worked pretty good. Not as warm as the mittens, by far, but waterproof enough to keep my fingers dry when handling wet tip up spools / line and shiners.  Give it a try.
Live to fish, fish to live.

Offline Iceman05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:03 AM »
All I can say is........ When my fingers and toes get cold, I don't care if I'm catching fish or not. This guy is headed for someplace warm.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Why not buy a pair of Neoprene's  and cut the fingers out. What your talking about is a double edge sword anyways you want warmth but exposes fingers?  Even the better platex gloves would work for what your looking for. 

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:13 AM »
I seldom wear gloves while fishing...I take a towel with me and if my hands
get wey,dry them off and your good to go...Thats what they make pockets for..lol
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Dem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:23 PM »
agreed...I always start w gloves and the go on and off eventually I end up with one on to hold my beer and one off in my pocket till needed. Handwarmers are a beautifull thing for that pocket. They also work well in your gloved hand to help defrost the beer!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the ice like an idiot! I won't tell you which side of the line I'm on.

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:45 AM »
I am jigging constantly, and I don't use tip ups. I have seen a few close to what I am looking for but not quite. I realize they may not be as warm as a true mitten but I like the idea.

Offline Rob M-O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:18 AM »
This is what I ended up with on that -10 morning. Will just go with plain fingerless gloves on warmer days.
Live to fish, fish to live.

Offline buddy396

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:35 PM »
towel works for me, as gloves are on an off depending if using tipups, but keep hands dry is key, just sayin

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:41 PM »
towel works for me, as gloves are on an off depending if using tipups, but keep hands dry is key, just sayin

x2 :tipup:

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Duluth Trading Force Nine Glomitts
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Thanks Townie, thats what I am looking for, but unfortunately no longer available.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.